3. Not going to get it at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 0 voter(s)
  1. _Chaz_

_Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Ditto.

It looks nice for a handheld and is really quite thin.

2. al5911

al5911 GBAtemp Regular

Hong Kong
    Later version is always better ...correct me if I'm wrong. Waiting for second/third ...fourth version [​IMG]

3. _Chaz_

_Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I think that the GameBoy Advance SP was far superior to the GameBoy micro.

I also preferred the DS Phat to both the DS lite and the DSi.

4. foob

foob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

http://e3.nintendo.com/images/ctr/hardware/blue.jpg
    Look at the harsh edges on the hinge. Quite apparent compared to DS Lite / DSi which is far more perfectly rounded.

5. Midna

Midna Banned
    Banned

Albania
  6. foob

True, but it's fair to say I'm one of those that don't like the designer(s) vision in this piece, so I agree with the "truly hideous" line [​IMG]

Silver paint, ugly hinges, ugly edges in general, square-ish, thin and ugly 3D slider coated in silver paint, gloss surfaces (though someone told me the gloss is going in the final unit?)

Believe it or not I cannot bring a unit like this into my possession [​IMG]
    Well, I can...under some very strict circumstances: the 3DS Second Edition sucking more.

It will sell well, though.
    The technology seems mostly sound and I'm sure they'll have some exciting games on release. I just don't appreciate the design at all.

7. trans am

trans am Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Pretty much that, the hard lines just make me go [​IMG] It looks like a sandwich inside a wallet when closed, tech is good but the design is made ugly on purpose.

8. foob

[​IMG]

9. Midna

Midna Banned
    Banned

Albania
    Ugliness is in the eye of the beholder.

10. Deleted_171835

OP Deleted_171835 Newbie

Just decided that I'm going to get the second version of the 3DS.
    The first version isn't that appealing to me. I'll wait the two/three years.

11. Midna

Midna Banned
    Banned

Albania
    Aesthetics deciding purchases. I am confused.

Especially given earlier revisions are far more prone to exploits.

12. 754boy

754boy :D
    Banned

United States
    I picked up my GBA and NDS at launch. Gonna do the same for this one. I like my devices "phat" lol.

13. nintendoom

nintendoom Nintendoom

ill be getting the launch or maybe a week after the launch 3ds, the launch 3ds might have a flaw or something that it can be hacked.... [​IMG]

14. Deleted_171835

OP Deleted_171835 Newbie

No, no, no.
    I'm actually quite pleased with the aesthetics with the exception of some minor quirks. It's the overall device that it isn't appealing to me. I might change my mind, though. I'm somewhat undecided. I'll wait for the 3DS to be released in Japan first and look at videos on how it is. I'll decide then.

15. LapisLazuli

LapisLazuli Thrills, chills, kills!

United States
    I'm guessing we'll get a 3DS 3G rather than a 3DS Lite [​IMG]

16. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    yeah, i could see a second version adding 3 or 4g. But I don't really know how neccesary that really even is, I mean there are wireless access ports everywhere where I live (Minneapolis), playing my dsi games online has never really been an issue.

Aesthetically though, I do not see the complaints at all, I think it looks really kickass and stylized. A few squared corners alone, wont be enough on its own to merit a second version, so another model would have to offer more, like 3 or 4g, and I dunno, theres nothing more I'm really looking for in this system, it has everything I could want. It would be cool if it had skype for video chatting, but I don't see why thats not a possibility with the current version. In fact since Pokemon black/white can do it on the DSi, it would be really stupid not to have a skype app for the 3ds.

17. foob

There is nothing to be confused about. The whole phone market, for instance, banks on aesthetics and image to reach its target demographics. It means something to a lot of people, much like people don't like ugly things in their home (furnishings, etc), they have their own taste when it comes to electronic devices too. Lots of phones, for instance, are the same things in a different shell.

Not saying aesthetics is priority Number 1 for all people, but it does mean something; people are attracted to nice-looking things more than others and it does influence purchasing decisions quite a bit. Of course there are those that think the looks of the 3DS are fine, and I won't argue with their taste.

Exploits are something I think not even 0.01% of the buyers think about when deciding on a new games unit, which I would rank as far less common than "good looks" in influence of swaying people one way or the other.

Basically the priorities of some readers here are very different with the general market; not that there's anything wrong with that, necessarily. But I think more average people regard how the device looks as far more important than exploits.

18. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Succubus™ Moody Cubi

Antarctica
    I am getting the launch version and no one can stop me! Ma ha ha! [​IMG]

19. Eighteen

Eighteen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I am really NOT going to wait 2 years, just to buy a slightly newer version of the 3DS with FOUR lenses instead of 3!! [​IMG] ..................... [​IMG]
    BbiiiiiiiBBBbbOoooOO!!! [​IMG] WlaLAALALalLaalLa [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. dsfanatic5

dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    What if the revision has the same unappealing designs, in a slightly different package? Will you wait forever?

I know what it feels like to see a better model come out, when you can't justify the upgrade, but I also know what it feels like to wish I was enjoying the experience that others are raving about. If you can wait 3 years for the 3DS, you must not be that excited about it, otherwise you'd jump on buying one, and not worry about the inevitable upgrades that will come.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Waiting, version, second