Waifu/Husbando Culture

GensokyoIceFairy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I’m naturally quite a repulsive and ugly person so I can see where a lot of the serious-taking waifu culture comes from tbh

But there is a limit to what you should be able to sanely express

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
CPp0TtK.png

Human being empathizes with fictional character.

More at eleven.

Reactions: GensokyoIceFairy

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
We live in a society where some people are so fed up with others' bullshit that they'd rather have a fictional character as mate. I'd consider it crazy, but with news of:

- men getting their dick chopped off by crazy girlfriends/wives and seeing it as funny by people
- men getting false rape accusations
- domestic violence by both genders
- the risk of getting your partner to sleep with someone, in a society where having "friends" ready to sleep with you when you have a fight with your SO

I can see why some of the more fragile people decide to say fuck to all that. Better than being alone and miserable, for these people.
wait, are you in my mind?
that's all I think about.

I personally don't care and don't understand waifu trend, it's just like fury to me. I don't see it as something real.
I don't have any reason to get attached to a virtual and non existent entity. I just don't know anyone and I'm fine with being alone all my life. Nothing to do with living in a basement or watching anime, movies, reading a book, or a newspaper, or looking at random still picture or animated ones.
liking something only for its art form (paint in a museum to animated picture on tv) has nothing to do with how it affects me socially or romantically.

What makes me decide to stay alone is part of my culture (social culture, outside world, interaction with people, and not idealistic fantasies or anime), and the quote above. Also knowing that someone wouldn't, objectively, understand and accept to stay with me and like me the way I am, there's no reason it will ever be otherwise. at worse, thinking it could be different would only be seen as hope, and hope can be hard and disappointing. better not expect or hope anything from anyone and you'll never have to face the outcome.

I think some (not all, and you are right to think that) people go to "waifu" and dolls because real life and real people failed them. not the other way around.
real life failed me, but I don't have any need to find a substitution. emptiness is enough.

Last edited by Cyan,

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was an interesting thread to read through!

I've always been interested about this topic, but never put pen to paper, if you will. After reading through these replies, I discussed it with a few really good friends of mine.

Everyone came to their own conclusions, but the one I came to is simple enough, I think - who cares?

Cyan above me will live his life how he wants to live it - shaped by soceity, maybe, but dictated by his free will and personal effort. I'm in no position to judge him for his choices or preferences, regardless of what I believe. If he chooses to reach out and seek companionship then that's up to him.

As a single woman, I've never had a crush on an anime/video game male - but, I've also never had a crush on another male, period. Everyone falls in love with actors, but (realistically), chances are you'll never meet them. You'll never see, talk to, fall in (tangible) love with, or get married to that one actor or actress on TV; for all intents and purposes, they might as well be fictional. After all, most people fall in love with the fictional character the actor portrays, not the person.

One of my married friends LOVES Harley Quinn so she got her emblem tattooed on her inner thigh. Another friend of mine is insanely attached to Batman, so she got a huge Batman logo on her upper back. Society would think these are ok, but God forbid someone gets a DBZ tattoo instead.

Who cares?

Common soceity dictates what is normal and accepted. If you don't fall along those qualities, then you're considered abnormal. Who cares?

After all, you always have GBATemp!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: