Homebrew Wad Manager and Full Wii Memory

IxthusTiger

Cruddy's Buddy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I miscalculated and installed 3 wads totaling 912 blocks onto my wii which had 849 blocks free. When I booted the Wii, it went right to the settings and said my Wii memory was full. It showed all three wads installed, with 0 blocks available. I moved all three wads to the SD card, still totaling 912, and only the 849 blocks were free again. The three games appear to be fine, as their banners load in the SD card menu. Where did the extra 63 blocks come from? That's about 10 MB. Was something overwritten in the Wii memory? Wii seems to work fine.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
there are reserved blocks for IOS and system menu, I think it's where it is. The wads are written normally but the block count is limited to the public one.
When you start writing more than the non reserved, the Wii ask you to remove it.
I think you are fine to write more blocks as long as you don't have a full reserved memory (if you install many cIOS + dupe everywhere with showMiiWad)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Then, if it's shared, why does the wii asked to remove content because there's no block available ? it would have fit perfectly in the available space.
If the Wii counts multi-time the same shared data to count the used block instead of reading the real free space, that's really idiotic.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
Then, if it's shared, why does the wii asked to remove content because there's no block available ? it would have fit perfectly in the available space.
If the Wii counts multi-time the same shared data to count the used block instead of reading the real free space, that's really idiotic.

Nah, makes sense. It's not really "shared" space per se, as it's space that's not intended for our direct use at all (WiiWare installations, etc). Keep in mind that if you were in the Wii Shop with 240 blocks free and wanted to download a 280 block game, you would not be allowed to do so directly. It's only a homebrew app like Wad Manager that will allow you to write into restricted space, as it doesn't bother checking how many free blocks the System Menu would tell you you've got. If you've got the space period, Wad Manager will install it. However, if the System Menu did NOT tell you that you're out of space and need to free some up, you'd undoubtedly start running into problems. The Wii has blocks that it reserves for IOSes and other system files as well as temporary space for system updates etc. As such, either the Wii would eventually overwrite the data you wrote into the "restricted zone", effectively killing your offending Wiiware, or it wouldn't, which could freeze your system temporarily or possibly worse, depending what the system was trying to do when it unexpectedly ran out of space. So the System Menu's listing of free blocks really is your actual free space with no danger of damage. Wad Manager ignores that.

I assume you could essentially install as many IOSes etc that you could possibly want, and it just eat away at your free blocks, but there's also a set amount of free buffer space for temporary use that also needs to be taken into consideration when calculating free blocks.

Don't quote me on that though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro