Wacom tablets

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, are Wacom tablets worth the money?

My dad thinks he can find a 9x12 wacom tablet on ebay for around $350. He offered to pay $250 of it if I paid the other $100.

And can you even find them for that cheap on ebay?

moribund112

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
I just got one in February, I haven't had much time to play with it, but since my interest is Photoshop and making Flash cartoons, I'd say it's totally worth the money.
I got a 6x8 Intuos3 and it can barely fit on my desk. It's really huge!
I'm not sure how much I paid for it - perhaps around $250-300 at PC Nation.
Ebay is also an option, not sure about warranty if it's bought used though.
If you register your tablet with Wacom, they have a treasure chest full of awesome tutorials for getting started with Photoshop. Really a lot of fun.

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A 9X12 is HUGE. I highly doubt you'd need this much space to work on, unless you use very wide, elegant strokes when you draw. The 6x8 model is a bit better-you have to remember there is a 3" border around the actual "writing" surface. So a 6x8 is actually 9x12, and a 9x12 actually 12x15!

Prices for Wacom tablets are usually consistently at or very near retail on Ebay. I suggest ordering a brand new one from a trusted supplier like NewEgg, whose prices for the tablet are actually 20-30 lower than the Wacom site itself.

Sekkyumu

Trophies
Website
charaveldesign.com
XP
Country
France
It depends on what you want to do with a tablet.

If you want to draw with Photoshop and Corel Painter, take a Graphire 4. I've a Graphire 3 and it's great !

You don't need a huge one, A4 is okay
smile.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Wacom are excellent if you want to draw or edit photos on your computer. And 9x12 is friggin' huge. Buy buy buy.

(if you trust the seller)

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so it seems 9x12 is big. I'll want one step down then.

I would be using it mainly for Photoshop and Freehand/Illustrator.

I'm hoping that it will make my college assignments a little easier and more convenient then a mouse. It's not exactly easy drawing a nice curve in Photoshop with a mouse.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Offtopic but is Wacom the best or is the cheaper options on ebay also a good choice?

Wacom is by far the best. They are expensive, but there is a reason the others are so cheap.
For people like me who can't afford Wacom? That said, it would be hard to picture drawing on a tablet while the drawing appears on the screen. I guess the next solution is getting a laptop with touchscreen control (which I have) but it's a version where there are no buttons on the pen. How would I be able to even draw with it?

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You dont have to buy an Intuos. Graphire's run about half the cost for the same writing area. They have half the features, though.

qusai

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got mine new 9x12 for 450 canadian from my college bookstore (you'll see it in my post a pic of your room pic soon
tongue.gif
) anyways, go to your local colleges and look for postings around the design buildings, people usually have stuff like that for sale, I know a lot of my mates from graphic design were selling theirs for way cheaper than ebay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)