Narann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi all !

I don't understand, since few days, any homebrew runs from vWii Homebrew Channel runs few seconds then my Wii U simply stops (red front LED).

Is anyone ever experienced this ? What could it be ? Any introspection idea ?

Thanks in advance !

D

Deleted User

Hi all !

I don't understand, since few days, any homebrew runs from vWii Homebrew Channel runs few seconds then my Wii U simply stops (red front LED).

Thanks in advance !

It could be a faulty USB-connection. Or your SD-Card/HDD cannot be read any longer. Or a faulty console (Some transistor has a problem, i remember some guy in here claiming his WiiU couldn´t store/save games any longer becuase there was a faulty transistor on his platine). It´s not normal.

however i say constantly: DON`T USE USB when you want to do vWii-Homebrew! IT`S DANGEROUS.

I have read a few months ago that somebody killed his WiiU by using a faulty USB-connector. It lead to a short-circuit which killed it´s USB-port.

This USB-port is NEEDED otherwise you cannot boot into PowerPC-mode any longer (Since PowerPC is testing each USB back-port on each boot up and if it detects a fault, it gets into a blackscreen i heard and then it´s booting up into WiiU-mode again- and you can never use the vWii/vWii-Homebrew again!).

Reactions: Narann

Narann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks !

I wanted to answer sooner but couldn't : Yes, it was USB related.

Here is the whole story :

I bought a second hand Wii U to play to Zelda: Breath of the Wild and didn't want to buy a Switch the full price.

I have an old Toshiba hard drive 320GB. This drive have two holes, one for the mini USB plug, the other, 3mm circular jack hole. The original package provided a USB jack plug.

On my original, hacked, Wii, I didn't have to use this cable. Single USB plug was working perfectly. I removed partitions so my Wii U could handle it as a brand new drive.

I realized the Wii U couldn't recognize my drive so I connected the "USB jack" to the second Wii U USB port and everything worked perfectly. Notice I didn't hack vWii.

1) Why I have no problem with my original Wii and need a USB Jack on the Wii U ?

Then I wanted to play GameCube Mario Kart: Double Dash and install vWii HomeBrew Channel + Nintendont + Wii U Nintendont forwarder. I put the Mario Kart iso on my SD. Everything worked fine.

2) Why ? Nintendon't is the only hombrew that work perfectly.

Then I tried to run USBLoaderGX, snes9x, smw, save manager gx then realized none of them works.

I unplugged USB hard drive, and vWii homebrew works perfectly. I tried to swap the USB plugs so power USB was on port one and it work fine.

So problem was technically solved.

But, now I read you advise to don't use USB with vWii. What do you advise ? It take a lot of space for all games.

Thanks again for your answer ! :)

Edit: As a new member, I can't post URLs.

D

Deleted User

Hi all !

Thanks in advance !
you cant ask for a refund since homebrew is not authorized by nintendo, which is automatically a MOD

D

Deleted User

Thanks !

I wanted to answer sooner but couldn't : Yes, it was USB related.

Here is the whole story :

I bought a second hand Wii U to play to Zelda: Breath of the Wild and didn't want to buy a Switch the full price.

I have an old Toshiba hard drive 320GB. This drive have two holes, one for the mini USB plug, the other, 3mm circular jack hole. The original package provided a USB jack plug.

On my original, hacked, Wii, I didn't have to use this cable. Single USB plug was working perfectly. I removed partitions so my Wii U could handle it as a brand new drive.

I realized the Wii U couldn't recognize my drive so I connected the "USB jack" to the second Wii U USB port and everything worked perfectly. Notice I didn't hack vWii.

1) Why I have no problem with my original Wii and need a USB Jack on the Wii U ?

Then I wanted to play GameCube Mario Kart: Double Dash and install vWii HomeBrew Channel + Nintendont + Wii U Nintendont forwarder. I put the Mario Kart iso on my SD. Everything worked fine.

2) Why ? Nintendon't is the only hombrew that work perfectly.

Then I tried to run USBLoaderGX, snes9x, smw, save manager gx then realized none of them works.

I unplugged USB hard drive, and vWii homebrew works perfectly. I tried to swap the USB plugs so power USB was on port one and it work fine.

So problem was technically solved.

But, now I read you advise to don't use USB with vWii. What do you advise ? It take a lot of space for all games.

Thanks again for your answer ! :)

Edit: As a new member, I can't post URLs.

The Wii only had lower requirements for it´s USB-ports thus you didn`t need to connect it via a y-cable. The cpu also didn´t have to run "overclocked" you know? And the Wii´s cpu didn´t have to run it´s bus at 20 Gbytes/second, but only 2 Gbytes/second.

However- as it was a PROBLEm for PCs (i remember those days!) as well many years ago- when you fully loaded a USB 2.0-interface your USB´s might get damaged and your processor will be overload and can overheat because of it.

So yeah. Trust me: This is a protection of the main-cpu. You can google it. I remember i had these same problems many years ago with a PC as well. PC-mainboards had this problem as well. USB 2.0 tends to overload your cpu and can damage your mainboard/and or your cpu there as well.

So whatever you do: DON`T OVERLOAD your usb or you will severely damage your WiiU´s cpu.

You can use an SD-card or- if really necessary use a low-voltage USB hdd (some old models support low-current).

The assumption is: The higher current flows through USB the more likely you will damage it (especially if you use a y-cable and Homebrew & want to unlock the processor`s speed).

The math is simple: The PowerPC-cpu is connected with this USB. It has to be able to read and write from it.

The problem is: USB 2.0 requires a lot of energy. The PowerPC can read data much faster than the USB-port can deliver. I think there is some power-sharing here. That means when the PowerPC is running at MAX SPEED (WiiU-speed) then the USB is giving less current, then when the PowerPC is in vWii-mode. Since when it´s in vWii-mode the USB can give the normal current it can deliver (about 500 mA).

So if you overload your USB 2.0-(Backports) you will also damage the processor. Overloading means here you use the full performance of the cpu and heavy load on the USB.

Btw: With normal vWii there is no USB-problem.

The problem is just happening when you UNLOCK the processor`s speed. That means when you run the PowerPC at it´s full speed. Not in vWii-mode-speed. And when you want to unlock it (e.g. to run Homebrew or other stuff) you SHOULD NOT use the USB since you can overload it easily and damage it.

And that means your PPC will never "speak" again, since your console is permanently damaged then.

Reactions: Narann

Narann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks, that's weird.

The problem is just happening when you UNLOCK the processor`s speed. That means when you run the PowerPC at it´s full speed. Not in vWii-mode-speed. And when you want to unlock it (e.g. to run Homebrew or other stuff) you SHOULD NOT use the USB since you can overload it easily and damage it.

Can anyone confirm this?

I will power the USB jack plug to an external power supply and see if it fix the problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up