Hacking vWii fixing from Wii U IOSu hax?

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So recently as we all know people have been developing new things from iosu hax. One developer even made something that would access vWii. So I was wondering my vWii was bricked is it possible someone could develop something that would automatically open homebrew channel on vWii startup? So that I could use a vWii ios checker and fix it? Thanks!

Reactions: CatmanFan

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So recently as we all know people have been developing new things from iosu hax. One developer even made something that would access vWii. So I was wondering my vWii was bricked is it possible someone could develop something that would automatically open homebrew channel on vWii startup? So that I could use a vWii ios checker and fix it? Thanks!

It needs a c2w (cafe to wii) image patch, so :/ Unless someone give some time investigating in it, nothing will happen

shaneod

Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT: Nevermind me. Don't bother. See post #9.

Actually, this seems potentially doable.

Currently downloading all of /vol/storage_slccmpt01 from my vWii.
Anyone with a bricked vWii, ideally EUR, feel like doing the same so we can compare files in the hopes of seeing a difference and being able to fix it?

Edit: It seems like some of the system titles are stored in /vol/storage_slccmpt01/title, and others are stored in /vol/storage_slccmpt01/shared1.
The filenames in shared1 seem random, but if I can get another EUR dump, and the files end up having the same names, then I'll know they're not random for EUR.

Edit2: All titles beginning with '00000007' seem to have .app files split across /vol/storage_slccmpt01/shared1 and /vol/storage_slccmpt01/title.
See here for list of vWii titles.

All other system titles seem to be stored in /vol/storage_slccmpt01/title.

Last edited by shaneod,

shaneod

Trophies
XP
Country
I just bricked my vWii by deleting IOS80, and I restored it via a backup afterwards, unbricking it.
I restored backups of the IOS80 files in /vol/slccmpt01/title and /vol/slccmpt01/ticket.
So it's definitely doable.

Last edited by shaneod,
Reactions: leerz and KiiWii

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bricked my vWii by deleting IOS80, and I restored it via a backup afterwards, unbricking it.
I restored backups of the IOS80 files in /vol/slccmpt01/title and /vol/slccmpt01/ticket.
So it's definitely doable.

How would I obtain these tickets and then re-install them?

shaneod

Trophies
XP
Country

How would I obtain these tickets and then re-install them?
First we need to establish which titles are most likely wrong/missing, since copying all of them would take too long.
Set up fw.img, cfwbooter and boot into FIX94's sysnand iosuhax.
Place this script in the same directory as FIX94's wupclient:
https://gist.github.com/Kenshii/622c94c71fee956a11d108780cefecd4
Run the above script in python, so python vwii_script.py

Then send me your region and the vwii_info.txt, and we'll see where we can go from there.
That'll just let me try and figure out which titles to have you replace to fix it.

Last edited by shaneod,
Reactions: KiiWii

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First we need to establish which titles are most likely wrong/missing, since copying all of them would take too long.
Set up fw.img, cfwbooter and boot into FIX94's sysnand iosuhax.
Place this script in the same directory as FIX94's wupclient:
https://gist.github.com/Kenshii/622c94c71fee956a11d108780cefecd4
Run the above script in python, so python vwii_script.py

Then send me your region and the vwii_info.txt, and we'll see where we can go from there.
That'll just let me try and figure out which titles to have you replace to fix it.

Do I need RedNAND?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

nvm I am a dumbass. I will do that and report back!

shaneod

Trophies
XP
Country
Just so people are aware, what I mentioned before will not work currently. It appeared to work for replacing a simple IOS that was deleted, but then I decided to delete /vol/storage_slccmpt01 and restore my backup of it.
It turns out when you copy a file to vWii via wupclient, its permissions will always be 0x600, and the owner will be root. This means that a normal Wii U user cannot read, write or execute any of these files.
The chmod function doesn't appear to work for the vWii filesystem, either, so with the current tools, you won't be able to fix the bad permissions.

TL;DR if you backup /vol/storage_slccmpt01 via wupclient and restore its contents, making no modifications, your vWii will brick.

Thanks FIX94, justinjustin7, BlueDan and Ryccardo on #wiiubru for answering questions I had.

EDIT: What I mentioned before actually does work, but you need to set the permissions on all the files to 0x666 afterwards.

Last edited by shaneod,
Reactions: Pachee

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM4vMLpcX7A