vWii fixing from Wii U IOSu hax?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Zero72463, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Zero72463
    OP

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    So recently as we all know people have been developing new things from iosu hax. One developer even made something that would access vWii. So I was wondering my vWii was bricked is it possible someone could develop something that would automatically open homebrew channel on vWii startup? So that I could use a vWii ios checker and fix it? Thanks!

CatmanFan likes this.
  2. NexoCube

NexoCube stop using piracy :(

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    It needs a c2w (cafe to wii) image patch, so :/ Unless someone give some time investigating in it, nothing will happen

CatmanFan and Zero72463 like this.
  3. shaneod

shaneod GBAtemp Fan

Mar 3, 2011
    EDIT: Nevermind me. Don't bother. See post #9.

Actually, this seems potentially doable.

Currently downloading all of /vol/storage_slccmpt01 from my vWii.
    Anyone with a bricked vWii, ideally EUR, feel like doing the same so we can compare files in the hopes of seeing a difference and being able to fix it?

Edit: It seems like some of the system titles are stored in /vol/storage_slccmpt01/title, and others are stored in /vol/storage_slccmpt01/shared1.
    The filenames in shared1 seem random, but if I can get another EUR dump, and the files end up having the same names, then I'll know they're not random for EUR.

Edit2: All titles beginning with '00000007' seem to have .app files split across /vol/storage_slccmpt01/shared1 and /vol/storage_slccmpt01/title.
    See here for list of vWii titles.

All other system titles seem to be stored in /vol/storage_slccmpt01/title.

Last edited by shaneod, Nov 16, 2016
    leerz, KiiWii, CatmanFan and 3 others like this.
  4. shaneod

shaneod GBAtemp Fan

Mar 3, 2011
    I just bricked my vWii by deleting IOS80, and I restored it via a backup afterwards, unbricking it.
    I restored backups of the IOS80 files in /vol/slccmpt01/title and /vol/slccmpt01/ticket.
    So it's definitely doable.

leerz and KiiWii like this.
  5. Zero72463
    OP

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    How would I obtain these tickets and then re-install them?

6. shaneod

shaneod GBAtemp Fan

Mar 3, 2011

First we need to establish which titles are most likely wrong/missing, since copying all of them would take too long.
    Set up fw.img, cfwbooter and boot into FIX94's sysnand iosuhax.
    Place this script in the same directory as FIX94's wupclient:
    https://gist.github.com/Kenshii/622c94c71fee956a11d108780cefecd4
    Run the above script in python, so python vwii_script.py

Then send me your region and the vwii_info.txt, and we'll see where we can go from there.
    That'll just let me try and figure out which titles to have you replace to fix it.

KiiWii likes this.
  7. Zero72463
    OP

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    Do I need RedNAND?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

nvm I am a dumbass. I will do that and report back!

8. BigPanda

BigPanda Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2016
    Belgium
    When entering the vWii, the WiiU loads another fw.img

9. shaneod

shaneod GBAtemp Fan

Mar 3, 2011
    Just so people are aware, what I mentioned before will not work currently. It appeared to work for replacing a simple IOS that was deleted, but then I decided to delete /vol/storage_slccmpt01 and restore my backup of it.
    It turns out when you copy a file to vWii via wupclient, its permissions will always be 0x600, and the owner will be root. This means that a normal Wii U user cannot read, write or execute any of these files.
    The chmod function doesn't appear to work for the vWii filesystem, either, so with the current tools, you won't be able to fix the bad permissions.

TL;DR if you backup /vol/storage_slccmpt01 via wupclient and restore its contents, making no modifications, your vWii will brick.

Thanks FIX94, justinjustin7, BlueDan and Ryccardo on #wiiubru for answering questions I had.

Pachee likes this.
  10. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    I'd suggest editing your earlier posts then, in case someone reads them and acts upon them before getting to this one.

shaneod likes this.