Hacking Vita Retroarch Nightly Builds!

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just needs recompiling as a .vpk. If somebody more skilled than me can do it for us, it'd be appreciated!
You don't need to recompile it if it's already a .velf. A .vpk is just a zip with a .velf and some other stuff like a bubble icon, so downloading one of the .vpks on the HENkaku page and replacing the binary should work.

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to recompile it if it's already a .velf. A .vpk is just a zip with a .velf and some other stuff like a bubble icon, so downloading one of the .vpks on the HENkaku page and replacing the binary should work.

This didn't seem to work with SNES9XNext: I renamed the retroarch velf version to eboot.bin and replaced the SNES9X.vpk's eboot.bin and I get "FAiled to install the package: 0x80101127"

D

Deleted User

This didn't seem to work with SNES9XNext: I renamed the retroarch velf version to eboot.bin and replaced the SNES9X.vpk's eboot.bin and I get "FAiled to install the package: 0x80101127"

Didn't work for me either. Guessing that there probably needs to be something fixed about the packages before they work on Henkaku, otherwise someone would have already posted the .vpks by now. Oh well, just gotta wait until they update the nightlies.

TerraCadence

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

From what I gather, it's more than just renaming the velf.

https://gist.github.com/xyzz/8902bfc152940e0bd97199cc72609fd8

You need to use the unofficial SDK to create the eboot.bin and param.sfo. I tried with CPS2 and it installed, but gave an error on booting.

TerraCadence

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do you install .velf files ?

.velf files were used with the now depreciated rejuvinate exploit. HENkaku uses .vpk files to install properly formatted homebrew to the vita's home menu. I've been testing the retroarch .velf files by following the instructions I linked above to compile them as eboot.bin files, but every time I try to boot the program on my Vita I get the C1-9654-4 error, so some changes may need to be made to the source before they'll work with HENkaku.

Last edited by TerraCadence,
Reactions: alucard_xs

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which would be better:
Staying on 3.51 for ARK and Reju or going to 3.60? Read there is a way to get VHBL up on that FW, but dont know if the Emu's I already have on my Vita will work. Specifically the CPS1 and 2 along with MVSPSP. Also the Variantsof those Emulators that allow for Hacked/Homebrew Arcade Roms

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Which would be better:
Staying on 3.51 for ARK and Reju or going to 3.60? Read there is a way to get VHBL up on that FW, but dont know if the Emu's I already have on my Vita will work. Specifically the CPS1 and 2 along with MVSPSP. Also the Variantsof those Emulators that allow for Hacked/Homebrew Arcade Roms
I'd switch to 3.60 if you want native Vita homebrew. Henkaku is much better than Rejuvenate as it gives us full access to the file system and the system resources. And as you say, VHBL works.

I switched from 3.18 and was unsure, but I'm glad I did. All future scene developments are going to come from Henkaku.

Reactions: Smoker1

TerraCadence

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which would be better:

CPS1PSP, CPS2PSP, MVSPSP don't seem to work in vhbl on 3.60. I tried, and the software loaded, but it was unable to actually load my games. It gave an error about being unable to write a cache file, so the issue may be writing to the PSP/GAME/ folder, I'm not sure.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CPS1PSP, CPS2PSP, MVSPSP don't seem to work in vhbl on 3.60. I tried, and the software loaded, but it was unable to actually load my games. It gave an error about being unable to write a cache file, so the issue may be writing to the PSP/GAME/ folder, I'm not sure.
CPS2 and MVS require a Cache made on PC with the RomConvert File. CPS1 should not require it. only thing it would need to create is a .ini and nvram. Would prep everything on a PSP first then take all those Files and go from there. Extra work, but should be fine after

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well hopefully they can work HENkaku to work with 3.51. Seems a bit complicated to go to 3.60 and try to get VHBL. Dont want to lose ARK and risk not getting anything running. Just wish could get RA running easier.

D

Deleted User

Well hopefully they can work HENkaku to work with 3.51. Seems a bit complicated to go to 3.60 and try to get VHBL. Dont want to lose ARK and risk not getting anything running. Just wish could get RA running easier.

Make sure to get that 3.60 update file so you can update just in case. I'd wager that in a couple of months the emulation on Vita will be fantastic. Snes9x 1.52 runs great for a port of an older version of an emulator.

Reactions: Smoker1

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
Make sure to get that 3.60 update file so you can update just in case. I'd wager that in a couple of months the emulation on Vita will be fantastic. Snes9x 1.52 runs great for a port of an older version of an emulator.

Pretty soon we will most likely be able to run psp roms, and those other things that people can do with the 3ds but can't be talked about on this website.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So people use qcma now? I thought the one to use was opencma.

Openqcma is qcma, for some reason the devs decided to name it qcma instead.

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Pretty soon we will most likely be able to run psp roms, and those other things that people can do with the 3ds but can't be talked about on this website.
We can talk about the actual processes of running ISOs and roms - that's why the Loadiine and USB Loader threads are so active. We just can't actually link to ISOs or roms.

Reactions: Firion Hope

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
This HENkaku business is interesting and kinda exciting from a homebrew point of view, but until we can do all the stuff my current FW 3.51 Vita does (TN-V11, PS1 Loader, Rejuvenate for emulators) - which it currently can't - I'd rather wait. Maybe RetroArch will start doing VPK nightlies, but for now all I can see is Rejuvenate VELFs, or in fact the last two days worth are 147B files so something must be broken with the compiling or uploading.

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ill give it a month. I already have it installed and its wonderous to finally have even just a little homebrew (finally got me a custome theme).

With what the Vita can do, i honestly think the community will make much more use for it than sony did. Its virtually a playstation hub, so i wouldnt be surprised if we may even get to the point that ps4 brew would work in tandem with psv brew someday.

Of course thats just a dream, but my point is for those iffy on doing this, give it a month for something amazing to happen.

Reactions: zekepliskin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards