Vita HBL, how the release will happen

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by s4mid4re, Feb 5, 2012.

Feb 5, 2012
  1. s4mid4re
    OP

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    [​IMG]

As the release of the PS Vita in the US and the EU gets closer, I’m getting an increasing amount of requests from people about HBL on the vita. I did post a FAQ a few weeks ago, but people still seem to have questions. When will it be released? Will it allow to run PSP isos? Will it work with a demo like for the patapon 2 exploit? Does it support this or that homebrew? etc…

Let me try to answer some of these questions, with more up-to-date answers.

First of all, the easy ones: VHBL (that’s the super new cool name of HBL on the Vita, I’ll let you guess what the V means, I know, I’m super original) will not support loading PSP isos. Basically VHBL will have the same limitations and features as HBL on the PSP, and, last time I checked, running psp isos was not possible through HBL. The same HBL limitations apply to compatible homebrews. In a general way, user mode homebrews should work for the most part, while homebrews that require kernel access will not work. For now (but that could change), homebrews requiring network access might not work (or at least, the network part of them will not work). Like in the patapon exploit era, it is possible, depending on the success of VHBL, that we progressively increase compatibility if we (as a community) keep improving the HBL code in the weeks following the release. Oh, and I am talking about PSP homebrews, running in HBL within the PSP emulator. So, for now, don’t dream about a full speed N64 or psp2 emulator. What we’ll get are the PSP homebrews that you already know.

Second, the vulnerability we rely on to run VHBL is a vulnerability in a PSP full Game, not a Demo. This means you will have to buy that game on the PSN in order to run VHBL (just like in the good old days of GTA:LCS for the first eLoader on the PSP). This also means that as soon as we reveal the name of that game, Sony can probably remove it from the PSN and/or patch it.

This leads to the most asked question: when and how will this be released? Well, I have a basic idea on how the release will happen. Nothing spectacular but it should hopefully be enough to guarantee that people who are really motivated in getting their hands on HBL on their Vita will get it. I’m hoping that constantly reminding people that this doesn’t allow the to run any pirated content will attract the right people to this exploit, and not the 95% of pirates that define any console hacking scene these days

In the past weeks I’ve been polishing the release process, and I can’t predict the future, but hopefully it will go well.

Nevertheless, getting access to this exploit for you guys will be a matter of being at the right place, at the right time.

For now I’m thinking Sony’s reaction wil be to remove the game from the PSN within 24h of the public announcement. Worst case scenario, Sony is already aware of the vulnerability and have already patched the game. This is unfortunately not something I can test without getting any more guinea pigs… these guinea pigs will basically be you when the release happens, I can’t really do any better than that. Obviously, the release will not happen like your typical hack release (a dramatic article on every news site of the planet copying the hacker’s initial blog post). It will be, I expect, a bit more subtle than that.

Anyways, I added a page on this blog where the VHBL downloads will be available, so if you’re waiting for HBL on your Vita, just check that page (and our /talk forums) regularly for updates.

:arrow: Wololo.net
    :arrow: VHBL download page

I though this was USN-worthy, so I posted it here. If any mod thinks it belongs elsewhere, feel free to move it, perhaps, to the Vita Hacking & Homebrew section. Bolded the ultimately important portion to save you guys some time. I think I'm going to stick with my psp for a while...

1 person likes this.

2. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    they've cracked the vita already?!! let the vitabrew begin :lol:

3. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States

3 people like this.
  4. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    This doesn't mean that the Vita is going to be hacked and all it's features used, it just means pretty much the same as 3DS.
    This generation is gonna suck in term of hacking :(
    I doubt anything is going to get hacked except for last gen features on all the new consoles and handhelds.

5. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    [​IMG]

Nobody likes a Debby Downer, mkay.

6. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Check pspslimhacks. The article there on the HBL says the second stick stick works 100% in soft-hacked "psp mode". Meanwhile psp brew runs slightly to noticeably faster, many homebrew will have to be recoded because of this.

7. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    PSP roms on Vita?? SWEET. :D

8. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    *cough*

9. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    NOPE HBL cant run isos

1 person likes this.
  10. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    All I see is being able to bring my Wagic content over to the Vita which is awesome.

Now if a Vita homebrew scene develops I'd love Wagic for it. They're already developing an Android port with touchscreen stuff so it shouldn't be too hard for the Vita.

11. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Guess I misread the post...

What can it even do anyway?

12. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Android on the Vita? I'd actually look into getting a Vita if they pulled that...

13. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Well, they obviously won't, but I'm just saying a lot of things the Android version would have can easily be put in the Vita version. Touchscreen support for example.

Load PSP homebrew.

14. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    if i remember correctly SOME psp hombrew work like the gba emulator and snes and and others well they did the lat time i use them in my psp and by now the HBL compatibility should be better

but other homebrew wot work cuz they require access to resources that HBL cant open

15. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Glad to see progress. It'll just be a matter of time before people start begging for Vita ISOs (ROMs?) though.

Ugh.

16. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    PSP Homebrew = PSX, SNES, NES, GBA, .... emulation heaven on Vita, right?
    Can live with that for the coming months :)

17. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    HBL doesn't do PSX.

1 person likes this.
  18. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Wanna bet?
    PSX-P by Yoshihiro

Archaic, barely working, but... :P

19. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    HBL doesn't do smooth, functional and high performing PSX.

Damn I am so wound up by that I'm going to post a picture of my Nintendo consoles.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/244cz8i.jpg

1 person likes this.
  20. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    You are correct, but that said, why not just carry around a PSP with vastly longer battery life?

@emigre Just two? Really? I am disappoint.