Vita has WAAR - Wide Area Augmented Reality

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Sorry if something similar has been posted.

QUOTE said:
The augmented reality on the Ps Vita is looking pretty damn impressive. A cool feature is the ability to use multiple AR cards to play out a ton of different interactive augmented scenes.

QUOTEWhile the 3DS offers enjoyable augmented mini-games using single AR cards, the Vita will support multiple cards simultaneously (Wide-Area Augmented Reality), allowing the device to have a greater understanding of depth and perspective

Well, here's some video footage:
[youtube]9Y2QjDJ6fLw[/youtube]

I'm not exactly a fan of AR. Hopefully Sony doesn't push the AR feature too far though.

Sources:
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/09/23...-be-incredible/
http://fuckedupgames.org/2011/09/26/ps-vita-ar/

EDIT: Added the video

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Looks impressive but I'll have to wait and see.

The AR on the 3DS was a disappointment, the camera could barely pick up the cards and if it did, one move and it'll be gone.

inb4 Sony is copying Nintendo

Popid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
heh that looks pretty cool. Especially the bit at the end. It still sort of seems like just the beginning of what could ultimately be possible though - I actually hope they push it a lot!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And not a fuck was given.

I'm loving the Vita but Augmented Reality is something I honestly could not give a shit about. I buy my handhelds to play games and maybe some basic other features (web browsing, Facebook, etc), not for these little features. It's neat and everything but it all feels like flare to me.

I'll still buy the crap out of the Vita but I won't be using these features a lot, if at all.

EDIT: Also, AR is hardly something you'll be doing on the go with all these cards and crap. Kinda defeats the purpose of a portable if one of the features is pretty unportable. I mean it's completely fluff but it feels like something they should keep for home consoles. Or better yet, not bother with since it's just useless fluff.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not completely sure that the 3DS isn't possible of this. Seem more in the programming side then the cards themselves.

Though I know it wouldn't be as clear.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
KingVamp said:
I'm not completely sure that the 3DS isn't possible of this. Seem more in the programming side then the cards themselves.

Though I know it wouldn't be as clear.
According to the second source the person who wrote it thinks that the 3DS will be able to pull such a thing off as it can already support simultaneous AR cards.

This was just his guess though.

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sony fanboys, you are getting a gimmick... SO now this is ALSO a gimmicky console with a feature that looks a lot like the 3DS AR function *problem sony?*

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendoom said:
Wow!, looks awesome!
The part with the dog, however, looks Nintendo-ish {Nintendogs}.

Because Nintendo has the market on dog-related video games?

Only use I can see for this though is tabletop games. Even from basic card games to something a bit more complex like Warhammer 40k or Magic, it would actually be really neat. Especially Warhammer, if they released a whole set of AR cards for it and allowed you to generate your own terrain and stuff. I think it'd actually really change the game a bit, allowing you to basically play on any place with a table.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Guild McCommunist said:
nintendoom said:
Wow!, looks awesome!

Only use I can see for this though is tabletop games. Even from basic card games to something a bit more complex like Warhammer 40k or Magic, it would actually be really neat. Especially Warhammer, if they released a whole set of AR cards for it and allowed you to generate your own terrain and stuff. I think it'd actually really change the game a bit, allowing you to basically play on any place with a table.
I just hope the Vita cams can do a decent job in scanning the cards.

off topic: well guild, sometimes i see your name in the 'recent posts' in the home page to be sometimes normal grey and sometimes yellow. How come? Just curious.
tongue.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
off topic: well guild, sometimes i see your name in the 'recent posts' in the home page to be sometimes normal grey and sometimes yellow. How come? Just curious.
tongue.gif

It appears yellow for me all the time. It appeared as regular grey for the longest time but some people said it has been yellow for a long time. I think it's an issue on your end.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course, you know this means WAAR.

It looks like Sony is taking their earlier work with AR (the AR card and pet games whose names escape me now) and working it into the Vita. It looks like it will be interesting to tinker with, but it'll probably end up being little more than that.

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
Guild McCommunist said:
nintendoom said:
Wow!, looks awesome!

No, because It somehow reminded me of Nintendogs' Obstacle Tournament thing. It is REALLY similar, anyway.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
If Nintendo had used symbol cards instead of the cartoon characters, they'd be a million times easier to detect, they can already detect multiple cards, so what's stopping Nintendo from making good AR games? They don't care, that's what. The 3DS could do everything in that video (at a lower resolution of course) but it wont because Nintendo couldn't give a crap about using the tech they pushed so hard for everyone to want.
I think Sony will go the same way also. The real AR games that they release will not be anything you see in that video, they will be boring and pointless.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
spinal_cord said:
If Nintendo had used symbol cards instead of the cartoon characters, they'd be a million times easier to detect, they can already detect multiple cards, so what's stopping Nintendo from making good AR games? They don't care, that's what. The 3DS could do everything in that video (at a lower resolution of course) but it wont because Nintendo couldn't give a crap about using the tech they pushed so hard for everyone to want.
I think Sony will go the same way also. The real AR games that they release will not be anything you see in that video, they will be boring and pointless.
I don't really care about AR but - the videos will normally showcase what's best of the system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc