Hacking Vita has been hacked, developers needed

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I guess I should clear things up before this blows up.

1) We are in the VERY early stages. What we have is an ability to run code. That's it. It could take months before a stable loader could be created that runs homebrews, not to mention a toolchain to compile homebrews. In addition, at any minute, sony could either independently find the flawed game or through patching another element unintentionally patch our exploit.
2) Just like HBL, this tool cannot be used to load backups/pirated games/copies firstly because games are encrypted and second because we don't have kernel access.
3) I've seen the people working on the 3DS and I'm willing to bet we'll have a working 3DS hack before the Vita. neimod is way more talented than me.

The point of the post of wololo was to get other Vita developers who are working independently to come together.

Thanks!
Lol thx for that. It's always hilarious to see people here getting their hopes up WAAAAY too fast. XD

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, im in this for the emulators way more then the piracy of vita games right now. And no, its not a whole "LULZ CUZ VITA GOTS NO GAEMS" Thing, its just that I would much rather be playing some amazing old school games in the palm of my hand on a super powerful device.
And I understand a laptop can do this, but a laptop cannot fit in my pocket.
Did I cover all the bases to prevent stupid retorts?
I hope so -.-

I've certainly used my PSP a lot more for emus than actual PSP games. A hacked Vita would probably be used for the same purpose if I ever got one. I imagine we might actually get a good SNES emulator, I was never quite happy with it on PSP.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Sounds like the message is DON'T UPDATE just in case. You don't wanna loose that exploit.

Don't have one so wouldn't know if it's already there but if Sony sees that no one is updating anymore they could just pull a PS3 and make online play unavailable without the newest firmware in hopes of at least accidentally blocking any exploit with later updates. Even just intentionally moving memory addresses and things around would be enough to make homebrew devs still have to go find where the exploit ended up on a later update.

Worst case is one of the guys responding to the "developers needed" call is a Sony spy :ninja: and they can get their hands on and reverse engineer the exploit to patch it.
We'll see what happens.

On a side note, kinda curious. I've heard comments that the 3DS has an execute disable bit that prevents exploits. Does this mean that Sony wasn't smart enough to do that with the Vita or is this an exploit type that can't be blocked with and execute disable bit? (and I understand if that's a hush hush don't mention type of secret at this point.)

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I guess I should clear things up before this blows up.

1) We are in the VERY early stages. What we have is an ability to run code. That's it. It could take months before a stable loader could be created that runs homebrews, not to mention a toolchain to compile homebrews. In addition, at any minute, sony could either independently find the flawed game or through patching another element unintentionally patch our exploit.
2) Just like HBL, this tool cannot be used to load backups/pirated games/copies firstly because games are encrypted and second because we don't have kernel access.
3) I've seen the people working on the 3DS and I'm willing to bet we'll have a working 3DS hack before the Vita. neimod is way more talented than me.

The point of the post of wololo was to get other Vita developers who are working independently to come together.

Thanks!
Idunno' about the phone scene, but the possibility of hacks/exploits in the game system scene is often met with... lots of stupidity. I give it less than a day before somebody comes in and asks how long it is before they can run pirated Vita games. I mean there's even a sticky in the 3DS section stating that nothing runs 3DS games, but we still get people asking about it.

Generally devs in the gaming scene will find IRC and other methods of contacting each other to keep the idiots out. While I can applaud you giving the info out and looking for help, I fear you may get a lot more aggravating attention than helpful.
Yes, I agree. My call for help is mostly for those who are privately working on the Vita to get together. There's no other way of reaching them. Of course, I never expected it to blow up, but that was naive of me.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is interesting. If the Vita actually were to be hacked in a way that allows for multiple systems to be emulated (doesn't matter if it can ever play psp/psv backups), then I'd actually consider getting one, it could be the ultimate handheld system if its potential were unlocked.

Having said that, like any announcement like this, I'm cautiously optimistic. I'll wait until more is known, but if nothing else, I appreciate that people are trying their hardest to make such things happen.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, even if there is CFW or something for the Vita. Unless i get a second one, theres no way i plan to risk getting my console bricked somehow and/or my main PSN account banned.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I agree. My call for help is mostly for those who are privately working on the Vita to get together. There's no other way of reaching them.
Understandable. First entry into some of the areas and circles can be sort of hard, since most people (myself included) don't even know where the serious dev channels are as we have no business being in them.

Of course, I never expected it to blow up, but that was naive of me.
Just try your best to ignore bad attention.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Who in their right mind would hack a system with no games?
No idea.
That's probably why the Vita's got a working exploit in development while the 3DS doesn't, eh? :creep:
THAT's IT.
Sony put the exploit in there ON PURPOSE. :tpi: They WANT it to be hacked in user mode so un-pirateable homebrew will be made and they'll sell more consoles.

(What they don't know is that from user mode we'll find the exploit they overlooked that gets us into the kernel. :ph34r: )

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
*snip
There's shit other than "games" on this planet of ours.
*nudges your side* You could instead simply say that the Vita does have games and that personal preference should not be considered a factor in determining which console is worth hacking and which isn't. That, and you could also mention the difference between the possibilities of homebrew development on a device based on circa 2010 technology compared to the exact same development on a device based on circa 2006 technology. Resources at hand and whatnot. But your argument is alright too, I guess. :P

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony put the exploit in there ON PURPOSE. :tpi: They WANT it to be hacked in user mode so un-pirateable homebrew will be made and they'll sell more consoles.

(What they don't know is that from user mode they'll find the exploit they overlooked and they'll get into the kernel. :ph34r: )
Are you a PS Vita developer Maxternal?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
(What they don't know is that from user mode they'll find the exploit they overlooked and they'll get into the kernel. :ph34r: )
Are you a PS Vita developer Maxternal?
No, I was just speaking "we" collectively as a homebrewing community of which the devs are a part. Once the devs give the rest of us the tools we'll be getting into the kernel as well (albeit only with homebrew that we download). I can't say I'll personally be finding any exploits, though.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I was just speaking "we" collectively as a homebrewing community of which the devs are a part. Once the devs give the rest of us the tools we'll be getting into the kernel as well (albeit only with homebrew that we download). I can't say I'll personally be finding any exploits, though.
Your a good man with a decent attitude. I was poking at you taking credit, sure, but I also wasn't aware if you were deving? It could have blown up in my face LOL Anyways I'm off to do nothing......as usual :blink:

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't know why you brought the 3ds up, but if this is real, then what's taking the 3ds side so long? Just for homebrew sake.
3DS is better secured.

Or it's like viruses for Macs and people just really don't care about it.
Vita has way more homebrew potential. Sooo it gets more attention, thus more progress.
Just the way it is.

Reactions: 2 people

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the Vita is hacked , I would be tempted to get it but as i discovered with my PSP, i kinda don't like the "Form Factor" . Also where is Dark Alex? Is he not working on this? :unsure:

D

Deleted_171835

Or it's like viruses for Macs and people just really don't care about it.
Vita has way more homebrew potential. Sooo it gets more attention, thus more progress.
Just the way it is.
Highly doubt that as we have quite a few respected hackers already working on the 3DS. I'm interested in homebrew for both devices as the 3DS can allow 3D movie playback and other interesting 3D stuff while the Vita can give us nice emulation.

Who in their right mind would hack a system with no games?
No idea.

That's probably why the Vita's got a working exploit in development while the 3DS doesn't, eh? :creep:
Trying to argue that the Vita has more (and better) games than the 3DS is like trying to argue that the N-Gage library is better than the GBA's. You can have your opinion and all but it's just wrong.

And @[member='Hyro-Sama'], homebrew and emulation says hi.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Trying to argue that the Vita has more (and better) games than the 3DS is like trying to argue that the N-Gage library is better than the GBA's. You can have your opinion and all but it's just wrong.
Pray tell, what are those wonderful games the 3DS has and the average Vita owner is jealous of?

You have Metal Gear 3D, Vita owners have Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. You have Kid Icarus, Vita owners have Gravity Daze. You have Dead or Alive Dimensions, Vita owners have Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. You have Mario Kart, they have Wipeout. You have BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II - they have BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend. You're waiting for Monster Hunter Tri G, they're waiting for Soul Sacrifice. You have Devil Survivor: Overclocked - they have Persona 4 Golden. I can go on, and I really don't see a problem here. To the contrary, I see no drought neither in the library nor in the development.

And please, don't say Mario. I will stop treating you seriously if you say Mario.

Moreover, I'm not arguing that either system has "better" games - the 3DS has more simply because it was released earlier, this doesn't dictate the quality of the end products on either system.

You appear to be the one who constantly puts the 3DS on the podium wheras as of today, both handheld consoles are good choices and it all goes down to personal preference.

Oh, and by the way, the N-Gage had a fair amount of good games, just for your information. Pathway to Glory had amazing gameplay, Warhammer 40K: Glory in Death was an amazing strategy a'la Advance Wars, Call of Duty was probably the best portable shooter at the time (especially with online multiplayer - a novelty back in the day!), Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was so good that it lived long enough to see a DS port with barely any improvements, Worms World Party was a lot of fun (obviously), Asphalt GT was a good racing game compared to what the Advance offered, System Rush could easily be called Wipeout-on-the-go... It had its share of good games, and homebrew too, it's not nice of you to diss it without trying them out. I wish I still had my N-Gage and I sincerely hope that I'll get one again sometime. The phone would benefit from a wide screen rather than a portrait one, sure, it'd be better if it had proper handheld buttons but it was still pretty cool, I'll tell you what.

Reactions: 1 person

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The earlier it's hacked, the better. I hope for more people creating homebrew utilizing the power and the rear pad for a lot of pretty bizarre stuff.

Plus, I want to bypass that stupid memory card tie.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Anyone read the twitter conversation between the hacker and an official vita developer?

@yifanlu :(
@Ouren :( ?
@yifanlu ;_; I'm a vita dev.
@Ouren I'm a part time game developer too. Why :( ?
@yifanlu We're really, really indie, and it's sad to see that the platform we've chosen to invest in ... will now be a hotbed for things...}
@Ouren and also, thank you for making Vita games. We really need more of those.
@yifanlu Why would people want to buy games when they can just download my game from the next and load it up. It's not on a cart.
@Ouren ? Because your game is encrypted and again, physically impossible to decrypt or load retail games with my exploit.
@yifanlu Your exploit doesn't do anything, yes, yes, I know. But it's an open door. Not for you, but for people who want to destroy us.
@Ouren Again, I apologize, but what can I do about what others may possibly do in the future? I would be glad to do anything in my power.
@yifanlu If you did everything in your power, you'd have not given random maniacs the keys to the car. :(
@Ouren there's nothing I could say to assuage your fears that I haven't already :(

We are Team Twiizers! We are not responsible for what people may possibly do with our exploit!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: F