Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is a shame but I am guessing the reason is cause it is still limited in what can be done, it is not a complete exploit.
It's usermode, so just like how the PSP emulator exploits worked (before the eCFW), it can load only homebrews but no cfw or etc. So basically, most (if not all) emulators and games and utilities when written will run. Problem is how can anyone write homebrew without an sdk/toolchain? Now what WON'T work are stuff you find in CFWs (iso loading, firmware customization, hardware interfacing, etc)

Reactions: Devin

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's usermode, so just like how the PSP emulator exploits worked (before the eCFW), it can load only homebrews but no cfw or etc. So basically, most (if not all) emulators and games and utilities when written will run. Problem is how can anyone write homebrew without an sdk/toolchain? Now what WON'T work are stuff you find in CFWs (iso loading, firmware customization, hardware interfacing, etc)
Lol sorry by "not a complete exploit" I was pretty much saying, no piracy :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Regardless of whether Ericthegreat meant piracy or not, a User Mode exploit only gives you so much control over the hardware. A Kernel exploit is always more desirable as it gives total control over the system, including control over the firmware (which often can be tweaked for better performance, for example for battery saving which is essential on portables) but unfortunately it always inevitably leads to piracy, so it's a question of morality.

If you ask me, I don't think that releasing a Kernel exploit should be any reason for grief for the hacker involved - it's not his/her fault that other hackers choose to abuse it. If the motivation isn't malicious, it's really not his/her fault.

But I digress, what I wanted to say was that the community is interested in the Vita and waiting for a complete SDK is a good thing. Mapping everything takes a lot of time and testing and in said timeframe, Sony could (and probably would) patch the exploit involved. It's best if UVLoader is released once the homebrew community is ready to properly take advantage of it and I'm sure that the "famous" programmers are already testing it, working on mapping all the registers for future programmers to use - am I correct in assuming so, yifan_lu?

I'd also like to ask about the extent of hardware access - what can and what can't be done in this particular User Mode exploit? The registers are not mapped yet, but depending on the software used, one can deduce which features will or won't be available for future homebrew development.

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
myself i am on 1.81 with kernel exploit over psp emulator and i wont update .from my experiance (previous owner of psp 1.50) upgrading firmware locks hacks as upgrades of sony tends to lock only loopholes .
in the future i believe we would have a break of sandbox psp through the kernel exploit and acess to psv capabilities

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just like the psp, you get as much access as the game being exploited has. If the game had camera support, you can use the camera, if the game has Bluetooth, you get that. Etc. good news is that all games use graphics (duh) so emulators and such would work pretty well.

Also, don't put all your eggs on kernel. Look at the ps3, that's a more close example. Hypervisor, lv1, lv0, etc. not saying the arch is 100% like ps3, but there are more similarities than to psp.

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
oh well you are true :) how the usermode exploit goes on vita if i may ask ? i know it will provide much more horsepower rathen the sandbox psp emulator .
but as i see from ps3 1.55 firmware when the major breakthrough came newer versions where difficult to downgrade etc .
nevertheless my knowledge is little ,even xbox 360 is problematic on rgh with newer hardware revisions so i think the software patches are making difficult to acess the core of the system

Siveria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As we have seen from nintendo's systems from n64 and up, if the system lacks games it dies, the wii and wii-u will be no exceptions, since they both lack games worth playing, I'd not even buy a wii even though its easy to pirate on it, just because there aren't really any decent games on it that I can't get elsewhere, that and I think the controller is effing retarted. The guy who decided on that should be hung by his balls and then shot in them, then shot in the stomache and left to bleed out as his stomach acid slowly eats him from the inside out. IMO nintendo should just get out of the console market and just stick to what they do best which is handhelds lately.

Hiyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you're saying Nintendo should take the thing that is making them money hand over fist... and stop doing it?

Somehow, I think you'll have a hard time to convince anyone of that particular business plan.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As we have seen from nintendo's systems from n64 and up, if the system lacks games it dies, the wii and wii-u will be no exceptions, since they both lack games worth playing, I'd not even buy a wii even though its easy to pirate on it, just because there aren't really any decent games on it that I can't get elsewhere, that and I think the controller is effing retarted. The guy who decided on that should be hung by his balls and then shot in them, then shot in the stomache and left to bleed out as his stomach acid slowly eats him from the inside out. IMO nintendo should just get out of the console market and just stick to what they do best which is handhelds lately.

Nintendo sold more consoles with this generation than sony and microsoft. And Nintendo does have a controller that looks like a PS360 controller, but I'd rather use the wii remote and nunchuck for most of the games, especially the COD games. It's a shame that activision didn't incorporate Wii style controls into PS3 COD games since the release of the Playstation Move. Nintendo knows how to make consoles better than the other 2 console makers, RROD/YLOD, just sayin.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou