vita flash cart

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Chiverus, Jan 25, 2012.

Jan 25, 2012

vita flash cart by Chiverus at 5:14 PM (12,822 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. Chiverus
    OP

Newcomer Chiverus Advanced Member

Canada
    not sure if it was covered somewhere else but it was an idea i had in my head well playing my dsl last night. I'm not 100% on the dimensions of the vita cards (but this could just be an enginering problem). i mean they where able to bypass the dsi updates that blocked the cart so it stands to reason that anyone who makes the carts could do the same with the sony updates. or am i so out to lunch that i cant even see the building anymore. im not saying that theres gonna be one right away but more want to disscuss the possibilies.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The Vita's card slot and the 3/DSi's game cart slot don't work the same way.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chiverus
    OP

Canada
    alright then it was just an idea nothing more. dont got much of an idea how the systems read there respective media anyways. so what are the main differences that we know of?

4. xile6

Member xile6 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It may happen one day. Its not hard to do its just cracking the code that will be hard

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The DSi and 3DS expect that the cart that they're reading off of has digital signatures and runs game code and cannot be modified, so they check for a sig and run it.

The PSP/Vita KNOW that the memory stick can be modified and so put in like 533 other extra checks they do before running anything because Sony knows that people will try to run shit off of it.

It's like breaking into a cafe, and a bank. The cafe's going to be a fuckton easier to steal from because the bank KNOWS it's a target and so protects itself much betrer.

3 people like this.
  6. Chiverus
    OP

Canada
    I had an idea it was something along these lines. knew it wasnt gonna be easy and what you say makes complete sence. im sure someone somewhere is trying this but no hopes and no expectations on this. more then happy to buy my games (only homebrews i really want are my gba emu and wagic so got my psp for that lol)

7. Dash_2

Member Dash_2 Hello I'm Dash!

Panama
    the vita isnt a bank and hasnt been making bank for sony though so at the moment you can refer to the vita as the cafe and a 3ds as the bank ;)

anyway i can see it now acekard vita edition.

makes me want to go out and buy one :P

8. djricekcn

Member djricekcn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    that wasn't his point when he made the analogy. also, Vita won't be as easy because the memory cards themselves are encrypted, so even if the vita's system is cracked, it may do no good without breaking the encryption on the vita memory cards.

9. Dash_2

Member Dash_2 Hello I'm Dash!

Panama
    my point was the vita imo will be hacked first people love Sony items and hopefully it isn't anything like the ps3.. Anyway I can't wait for the launch of it :D

10. zachtheninja

Member zachtheninja Honorary Ninja

United States
    thanks, I'll remember the tip.

11. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    if i remember the was a such device for PSP call MMD you could not play pirates games but i think homebrew did work

12. xile6

Member xile6 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    UMD? which was a dumb name because it stands for Universal Media Disc but only sony used them. And homebrew hacked the disc to use the drive to rip the games. Same as the wii. I say the vita will be hacked but no time soon,

13. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States

lol is call MMD not UMD

14. elgarta

Member elgarta GBAtemp Fan

United States
    He was talking about UMD, which is exactly as he explained: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Media_Disc

The only MMD I have ever heard of is MikuMikuDance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MikuMikuDance - And that has nothing to do with PSP or pirating games @_@

15. RandomRedMage

Newcomer RandomRedMage Member

United States
    Whille MikuMikuDance is the first thing that comes to mind, I think he was referring to the MMD Multi-Media Disk, it was a small product that got little use and recognition. It ran on the PSP. Was a UMD disk that let you run different media types and I believe some Homebrew off the MSPD. I think the dumb thing was made by Datel or something. I remember seeing it once before though.

16. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    It's Universal because it can hold any type of data, not because it's universally accessible.

17. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Can someone post a link to a site where I buy one? I want play pirate games on my Vitas ASAP.

18. kthnxshwn

Banned kthnxshwn Banned

United States
    Here's one on RHS.

http://realhotstuff.com/xpro-vita-3x-p-547.html

19. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Thanks, brah.

I just bought forty of those. I can't wait to play pirate games on my Vitas.

20. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Vita carts are nothing like the original DS carts. DS carts were non-encrypted and had a simple authorization system... Basically, the DS would go "Hey, if you're real, say the password!" and the cart would go "WHAZAAM!" and the DS would go "Oh cool, come on in."

PS Vita it's a lot more complex. The entire contents are encrypted so no outside device can read them or modify them. On top of that, the actually executables are also encrypted with another key. The PS Vita memory card probably has the same setup, making it as much of a target (one way or the other) as the game cartridge slot. That said, there is no way we can even get the keys to ENCRYPT, let alone DECRYPT without first being able to have access to the Vita's RAM...