Gaming "Visual Novel/Story based" type games

lukecop80

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been searching for AGES for another Visual Novel/Story based game to play.
For example games like: Hotel Dusk, Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright.
Anyone know any other good ones to play?

I have played the following:
The entire Professor Layton series so far
All Phoenix Wright Games
Hotel Dusk
Last window
Ghost Trick
Another Code
Again
Time Hollow

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I derped... forgot these:
1) Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (SMT:DS 2 already released in Japan, US/EUR probably coming next year)
2) Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

EDIT: the two aren't connected. Just treat Shin Megami Tensei like Final Fantasy (it's like a trademark :lol: ) although Strange Journey is part of the main series (4th installation), while Devil Survivor is one of the bunch of spin-offs.

lukecop80

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've played a bit of Devil Survivor but never finished it.
Never heard of Strange Journey, I'll be sure to check that out too. Thanks.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to bring up Lux Pain. If you enjoy VN's, you'll enjoy LuxPain.

Edit
Wait, VNDS? Does that play all Visual Novel Games? Or do they have to be specifically converted?

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how hard it is to convert -there are a few VN's I'd LOVE to have on the go. There's not that many available, but the list is -snip-

Kuroko Shirai

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Well, you should also try Little Charo if you're into visual novels...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/609572-eigo-de-tabisuru-little-charo

It may look childish, but it's quite good. And don't worry about the Japanese at the beginning, you'll be surprised 95% of the dialogue is English. (now you'll just have to figure out which command is which as those are still Japanese, but it didn't stop me from finishing it).

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how hard it is to convert -there are a few VN's I'd LOVE to have on the go. There's not that many available, but the list is -snip-
Out of those, I would suggest:
Red Shift
Saya no Uta
The World to Reverse -hallucinate-
True Rememberance
Tsukihime

I haven't yet read any of the others, as my roommates decided they wanted a few more games to play on my R4 as well before they got their own Micro SD cards to use.

Edit) I checked through that Wiki and -snip- explains how to do it. It looks difficult, as you have to convert every graphic, script, and sound.
Edit2) I snipped the URL up there since it's the same wiki that hosts the completed projects. To find this crap, just google it. It really isn't that hard to find.

Marthur

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The lack of Jake Hunter : Memories of the Past saddens me.
You should like it if you like detective stories.

It's too bad Akai Chō will never get an international release.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just gotta say, if you get vnds, you gotta try saya no uta!
There's not much in the way of choices, but it does have 2 completely different endings and is a great read.
It's pretty intense and more in the genre of horror.
Definitely not the run of the mill visual novel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think