Vista Security Issue

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The other day I found out my brother was going through my files, and I was so pissed that I tried to just block him out of all my files, and I did this by going to the Users folder and right clicking my folder and changing the security, removing everyone from the list except for me. I changed ownership to me, and I was just so mad that I didn't even know what I was clicking. I did this for a few sub folders as well. But after this, some programs weren't working, and I keep getting errors from programs. All I really want to do now is undo what I did, but not knowing what I did, I'm finding this hard. I've tried changing ownership back to System, and adding people to the allowed list, but nothing is working. I'm still getting program errors and the like. Does anyone have any ideas?

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The other day I found out my brother was going through my files, and I was so pissed that I tried to just block him out of all my files, and I did this by going to the Users folder and right clicking my folder and changing the security, removing everyone from the list except for me. I changed ownership to me, and I was just so mad that I didn't even know what I was clicking. I did this for a few sub folders as well. But after this, some programs weren't working, and I keep getting errors from programs. All I really want to do now is undo what I did, but not knowing what I did, I'm finding this hard. I've tried changing ownership back to System, and adding people to the allowed list, but nothing is working. I'm still getting program errors and the like. Does anyone have any ideas?

Here's some advice,
Don't click something if you have no clue what you're doing. Next time, just tell your brother to stay out of the files.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
try_science_shirt_300.png

Umm, that's really all I have to contribute. But in before: Get a Mac!

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Here's some advice,
Don't click something if you have no clue what you're doing. Next time, just tell your brother to stay out of the files.

I know, I was just really pissed off and did the drastic thing.

QUOTE(offtopic84 @ Feb 10 2008, 10:23 PM)
try_science_shirt_300.png

Umm, that's really all I have to contribute. But in before: Get a Mac!

Thats the next step lol

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's a command you can run in the command prompt that will restore all of the standard folder permissions to all system files. I've forgotten what it is at the minute, but I'll try and find it for you
tongue.gif

edit:
Code:
 Secedit /configure /db %SYSTEMROOT%\security\database\cvtfs.sdb /Cfg "%SYSTEMROOT%\security\templates\setup security.inf" /areas filestore
That's the command, although I've only used it in Server 2000. Use it with caution
wink.gif

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a command you can run in the command prompt that will restore all of the standard folder permissions to all system files. I've forgotten what it is at the minute, but I'll try and find it for you
tongue.gif

edit:
Code:
 Secedit /configure /db %SYSTEMROOT%\security\database\cvtfs.sdb /Cfg "%SYSTEMROOT%\security\templates\setup security.inf" /areas filestore
That's the command, although I've only used it in Server 2000. Use it with cautionÂ
wink.gif

Hmm, this sounds to be just what I was looking for. However, when I copy it into Run, I get a permission request for Windows Security Configuration Editor Command Tool, and when I allow it, a DOS prompt shows up, but goes away very fast, and it doesn't appear that any changes have occurred.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show