drifter
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So yeah as the title says, only my Vista computer I have a problem. The little Windows icon thingie in the corner says that the computer is connected, but it doesn't connect or takes at least an hour to load any websites. This includes my router configuration page. Bittorrent transfers at a maximum of 1 kbps, but usually does not work at all.

However, Instant messengers and steam game updates work just fine. Also, I can ping website via the cli just fine. The response times are normal.

I have eliminated every hardware possibility and isolated the problem down to my computer. I'm 95% sure that Vista suddenly doesn't like my LAN adapter. When I try ipconfig /renew it says that the LAN adapter is not in a state to complete the operation (or something like that, the computer is off right now).

Occasionally it will work for the first minute or so that I turn my computer on, and then it starts hanging again.

I don't really want to reinstall (I already tried an upgrade reinstall and it didn't like my nVidia drivers and BSOD'd).
I tried rolling back the drivers, and I installed the drivers on the driver CD that came with my motherboard.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Maverick_z

When did i join again??
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you can always downgrade to XP if you want otherwise you probably have to get vista-compatible stuff for it to work (in other words upgrade some of the stuff on you comp)

Mewgia

drifter
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maverick_z said:
you can always downgrade to XP if you want otherwise you probably have to get vista-compatible stuff for it to work (in other words upgrade some of the stuff on you comp)
It has been working perfectly for the past 2-3 months and just started bugging up last week.

And no, I'm not downgrading to XP.

It's Vista 64-bit, by the way. Doubt that would effect anything but meh just in case.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may potentially know a solution.

If you restart, does it work normally after a while?
Does it only slow down after using torrents or having utorrent open?

Mewgia

drifter
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
I may potentially know a solution.

If you restart, does it work normally after a while?
Does it only slow down after using torrents or having utorrent open?
It could be utorrent, I have it set to start up with my computer. Never thought about that possibility.

I'll go try that now.

And what do you know, that was it. uTorrent suddenly decided to bug up my internet.

New thread topic: What to do about uTorrent messing up my internets.

D

Deleted User

I'd say email utorrents website. See if they come up with a fix. I'm guessing it's got to do with the half open connection thingy XP SP2 was so famous for.

Mewgia

drifter
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Saturnplanet5 said:
I'd say email utorrents website. See if they come up with a fix. I'm guessing it's got to do with the half open connection thingy XP SP2 was so famous for.
I think I will just switch to another client. Or just try a simple reinstall.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You might be choking your connections. You would have to limit the number of connections or use your router's Quality of Service feature to allocate the correct amount of bandwidth for surfing while torrenting.

porchemasi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
you are using a firewall obviously
temporarily disable it, and see if that fixes
hate2.gif

Mewgia

drifter
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
You might be choking your connections. You would have to limit the number of connections or use your router's Quality of Service feature to allocate the correct amount of bandwidth for surfing while torrenting.
The problem persisted even after I closed utorrent (and don't say that it was just in the taskbar, I'm not an idiot)

Volsfan91 said:
What version are you using?

Try changing the port too; mine is ticked to change on startup.
I was using 1.7.1 I think.

QUOTE(porchemasi @ May 28 2008, 01:03 PM)
you are using a firewall obviously
temporarily disable it, and see if that fixes
hate2.gif
Do you think I'm that stupid to not think about the firewall? I did that on at least 3 separate occasions while troubleshooting.
It just never occurred to me that uTorrent, which I have been using since I installed the OS and has not been updated at all, would suddenly start bugging up and killing my connection.

I am now using Azureus.

Topic Closed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah we have well established 401ks health insurance and paid daily