virus protection question

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by kingofgamesgx, Jun 5, 2010.

Jun 5, 2010
  1. kingofgamesgx
    OP

Member kingofgamesgx Hitokiri Battousai

United States
    ok so my comp has had norton for ages,but lately i have been wondering about losing it it expires in 120 days anyway ,my question is does AVG (what i was gonna switch to) have better coverage than norton?

and as one user suggested i was gonna use these

AVG Free (my dad wants to upgrade to pro if i do switch when he has the cash)
    MalwareBytes
    SUPERAntiSpyware
    SpyBot - Search & Destroy

2. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    MSE, Avast... Heck, even dirt is better than Norton.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    My experience is that Kaspersky is the best between itself, Norton and McAffee (however it's spelled), although that's not saying much. At the very least, it's much lighter, much nicer, and still does a good job. A friend of mine who does computer repairs uses Sophos (I think it was called, I forget since it's been a year since we last spoke).

As for the free AV software... they've been getting increasingly weak over the years. I used to think that AdAware was all I needed, until I discovered that there were a few browser hijackers that it couldn't deal with (I had to manually reg-edit them out). AVG used to be the biggest joke in AV, but recently it's been getting better (and Norton getting worse). Even so, it's still only around 70% effective these days.

Nothing beats awareness, caution, and common sense (the absence of which allow for email, IM and social networking worms to thrive like STDs/STIs).

4. Matthew

Member Matthew GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    First run a scan with superantispyware and then malwarebytes because Norton misses nearly everything. NOD32 I find is good.

5. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States