Virtual Console Question

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Prior22, Sep 25, 2010.

Sep 25, 2010

Virtual Console Question by Prior22 at 9:41 PM (1,414 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Prior22
    OP

Member Prior22 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I just started playing Wii Virtual Console titles and thought there were some obvious omissions for what was available. Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, Banjo Kazooie and most of all (atleast for me) Conkers Bad Fur Day. I don't know what the release schedule for VC titles is, but can we expect new N64 releases anytime soon? Also of the titles I listed are any unrealistic to expect for a VC release (because of license issues or something along those lines).

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Licensing issues is one, but technical is another.

Something like Super Mario 64 is light on an emulator.
    Somethinglike Goldeneye is very heavy and likely to lag on the same specs that would run Mario fine.

3. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    All they are IP´s of Rare. Except GoldenEye. Nintendo didn´t sell the original GoldenEye (but Activision has the license of James Bond).

Maybe Nintendo doesn´t have interest on VC for something named Wad Manager.

4. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    all these and more will be available when wii64 is perfected [​IMG]

5. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Since all but Golden Eye was developed by Rare, which is now owned by Microsoft, I doubt any of those will ever be released. I loved Conker's Bad Fur Day as well, but we'll likely never see it on Virtual Console. Thus, licensing issues killed three of them.

And as mentioned already, Golden Eye will be tough on the emulation hardware, making it difficult to reproduce whereas a Mario game (with far less action) would be much easier.

6. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    GoldenEye NEVER was sold to Microsoft. Nintendo only sold IPs.

7. Mestizo

Newcomer Mestizo Member

United States
    Even though Donkey Kong 64 is owned by Rare, Donkey Kong itself is owned by Nintendo. Anyone wanna explain THAT license issue?

8. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    donkey kong 64 isn't owned by rare, they develeoped it yes but only under licence for nintendo

9. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    The character DONKEYKONG is Nintendo''s IP.
    All other characters from the game are RARE... But New Donkey Kong Country is coming this year...so

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!! Don't know!

10. Mestizo

Newcomer Mestizo Member

United States
    Then what's stopping Nintendo from releasing it, since they own the majority of the license? Come to think of it, how come they've yet to make a remake of the CDi games they leased?

11. Dookieman

Member Dookieman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Probably because Nintendo has given up on the VC and focused on other things it views more important(Check out the IGN article that relates to that). Why would Nintendo release their CDi game? They were all shit and I'm sure Nintendo wished they were never made.

Goldeneye has been talked about to death and the main reason it was never released on the Virtual Console is because of a crazy licensing issues. It requires the OK from Nintendo, Activision, and Microsoft, all whom which can't agree on a way to share the profits.