wiibob

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What limitations does the virtural consoles have? can it run games from the gba or does it focus on older systems. i know you need a flashcard with alot of power to run gba (dstwo) on dsi. does the 3ds have enough juice to run it on its own? i would love to see gba pokemon games.

hendrix5757

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiibob said:
What limitations does the virtural consoles have? can it run games from the gba or does it focus on older systems. i know you need a flashcard with alot of power to run gba (dstwo) on dsi. does the 3ds have enough juice to run it on its own? i would love to see gba pokemon games.
Zelda four swords was a gba game. That should indicate that gba games will be coming to eshop.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the thing is, people are saying that it's powerful enough to run GBA games using the example of Four Swords. However, Four Swords is coming to the DSi Shop, not the eShop (you can still get it in the eShop, but it doesn't rely on the 3DS's extra power). So technically, doesn't that mean that the DSi can run GBA games?

I'm going with a maybe on GBA so far. Sure, we got Four Swords, but it's probably been edited in some way to work for the DSi/3DS. I guess we'll have to wait to see.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
That's ported, not emulated.
Uhh, could you explain this?

I kind of don't understand.
shy.gif

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Rydian said:
That's ported, not emulated.
Uhh, could you explain this?

I kind of don't understand.
shy.gif

It's different in the sense that a "port" is making a game to a new system completely written in the new system's coding, in other words, you're not going to be playing "Four Swords" from GBA on the DSi with wifi... it'll be a whole new game (MAY have the same graphics, sounds, etc.) just written in DSi code. An emulator is something that would literally just play the GBA rom on the DSi.

It's like playing Super Mario 64 DS, it's not the same game, but it it completely redone. Or Zelda Ocarina of Time 3DS. Whole new game (well, you know what I mean). Instead of straight up just playing Super Mario Bros emulated on NESDS.

Porting= remaking game
emulating= literally playing the same game in a program designed to run it on another platform

Hope that clears it up.
happy.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The main difference for this conversation is that emulation requires the playing unit to be a lot more powerful than the original.

With a port, that's not the issue. It's like how a game can come out for both the 360 and the PS3. One is certainly not emulating the other, the game was simply ported.

"Why don't we port games instead of emulating them?" - Porting requires the game's source code.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
Porting= remaking game
no
No
NO!

A remake =/= port, they are very different. Remakes and ports are not the same thing and have different prerequisites. Well actually, a remake is a port, but a port isn't always a remake.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Schlupi said:
Porting= remaking game
no
No
NO!

A remake =/= port, they are very different. Remakes and ports are not the same thing and have different prerequisites. Well actually, a remake is a port, but a port isn't always a remake.

Sorry, you're right. I'm tired, and was just trying to explain it as simple as possible.
tongue.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
machomuu said:
Schlupi said:
Porting= remaking game
no
No
NO!

Sorry, you're right. I'm tired, and was just trying to explain it as simple as possible.
tongue.gif
Actually, I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to come out like that, I just get a little defensive when I hear things like that.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Schlupi said:
machomuu said:
Schlupi said:
Porting= remaking game
no
No
NO!

tongue.gif
Actually, I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to come out like that, I just get a little defensive when I hear things like that.

No, no, I completely understand.

(LEGEND of Mana is the best in the series, right behind Children of Mana.
wink.gif
)

NOW I am just f***ing with you

Jono1250

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Schlupi said:
machomuu said:
Schlupi said:
machomuu said:
Schlupi said:
Porting= remaking game
no
No
NO!

tongue.gif

No, no, I completely understand.

(LEGEND of Mana is the best in the series, right behind Children of Mana.
wink.gif
)

NOW I am just f***ing with you

I have never seen a more polite converse on any thread on any websites.....

btw personally think, that the 3DS does have enough power to emulate a GBA game.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Kinda off topic but- is there a difference between the 3D classics and virtual console? It has been bugging me for quite awhile.

wiibob

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
Kinda off topic but- is there a difference between the 3D classics and virtual console? It has been bugging me for quite awhile.
3d classic is them remake the game with 3d effects. virtual consoles just the old games untouched.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The DS slot 2 got all the power and had the GBA hardware required to run GBA games. It was better than a GBA emulator, you basically had the GBA put in there with the DS. The GBA parts could just kind of mooch off of the DS's RAM and processor.

As for GBA emulation on the 3DS, hell yeah, it is easily possible. Whether Nintendo is willing to do that or not, is a whole different story. As it stands now, they have announced absolutely zero plans of bringing actual GBA games to the Virtual Console.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Considering the 3DS is at LEAST as powerful as PSP.

I'd say it's MORE than possible without exploits and homebrew.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I would say that the 3DS is definitely more powerful than the PSP (at least, I would hope considering the age of the PSP).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn