OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France

Video Poker

Here's yet another game from developer Robert Durbin, this time it's video poker.

videoPoker.png

Robert Durbin said:

I made a simple video poker game for the nds using the card deck graphics from my card sharks game. I have also updated all my games, and changed deal or no deal a little bit, you can get everything from my website.
Also if anyone know where to get some possible sound effects for this type of game. Please let me know. I need stuff like coin droping cards flipping, stuff like that. I tried to search but couldnt find anything.

Thanks and enjoy the game
download.gif
Video Poker

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This has the makings of a good game. The cards turning over doesn't look realistic and it slows the game down a little. Maybe you could program it for them to just flip over. You could get the sounds for this game from the solitaire game in windows.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ill prob replace the card flip thing when i get a card flip sound. I kinda liked the delay flipping as makes it more suspensful than just the cards appearing, but i can understand how it can get annoying when you play lots of hands. I was thinking of making a multi hand version of this game. basically you play your one hand, than hold your cards like normal. Whats different is say you hold 3 cards and draw 2 more, it would draw 2 more, 3 times, increasing your chance of winning, of course if you play 3 hands, it would triple your bet and if your unlucky you can lose all 3 hands. What do you guys think?

teapea

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
how good is the random number generator?

i've written video poker for many different languages and to get a fair distribution of likelyhood of cards can get extremely difficult.

any stats?

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well it uses a "real" 52 card deck, it seems pretty "random" to me, of course when it comes to computers nothing is truly random. if your curious on how it works is basically what i do is have it draw a number from 1 to 52, when the number is picked its marked off in an array. if the number ends up being picked again, it simply increments the number and repeats this til it picks a number not picked. this process is repeated til all 52 numbers are picked. this is the same process used in my deal or no deal game and my card sharks game. press your luck doesnt do this as a repeated number will not matter, since the board is random. 1 to 13 is clubs, 14 to 26 is diamonds, 27 to 39 is hearts and 40 to 52 is spades. its pretty simple really. i may adds some odds in my next version. lets say you get two queens and you hold the queens, it will report the odds of getting 3 of a kind, 4 of a kind, full house, etc. may be a lil tough but i think it would be cool

as for actual stats i havent recorded any games but it seems to be pretty fair, i do just as well or bad as real video poker machines. I could prob write a server program that will log all my games and can record the odds, shouldnt be that tough...

teapea

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yeah, it's how you get the number between 1 and 52 though which is the key.

i've had to do a lot of mathmatical transforms on things before now to ensure that the distribution of the numbers 1-52 are equal. you *may* find that if you run this part of the code round a loop for a day or so, and count how many times is choses each number, you'll find a disproportianate amount of the number 1 and number 52.

as a programmer who spent 4 years gaininig a masters degree in maths, it's a very difficult thing to achieve!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted +1