Hacking VERY confused on how to play backups on my "New" 3DS XL ... Any Help??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadlyRevengexX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With modern day CFWs (custom firmwares), you will not lose your mod by simply going online or updating your system. They will protect you, so you can safely update your system.

Are there any CFW in specific, that you would suggest that I need? or if follow the guide that you linked me to, it will give them all to me already?

Also if CFW allows me to update.. What happens when when it asks me to update to 11.5 of something? lol Doesn't that need a hard mod?

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Are there any CFW in specific, that you would suggest that I need? or if follow the guide that you linked me to, it will give them all to me already?

Also if CFW allows me to update.. What happens when when it asks me to update to 11.5 of something? lol Doesn't that need a hard mod?
No, hard mod is only for installing, not updating

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

3ds.guide will give you Luma3DS, not all CFWs. CFW will not ask you to update, the system will. When a new system update appears, do not update just wait and wait for confirmation first. Once you get the OK to, update the system, which does not require a hardmod.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

If there is ever an update, updating it is usually safe. I typically check here to make sure first, but never had an issue

DeadlyRevengexX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3ds.guide will give you Luma3DS, not all CFWs. CFW will not ask you to update, the system will. When a new system update appears, do not update just wait and wait for confirmation first. Once you get the OK to, update the system, which does not require a hardmod.

So which CFW's should I get after? Can you link me to them?

DeadlyRevengexX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really only need Luma3DS, as most of the other CFWs are not updated to support boot9strap, which is what 3ds.guide will help you install. Read up on what boot9strap is there.

Actually if I'm correct boot9strap is for backwards compatibility with DS games right? So basically once I have Luma3DS and boot9strap I should be fine for playing not only 3DS backups, but DS and DSi backups?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually if I'm correct boot9strap is for backwards compatibility with DS games right? So basically once I have Luma3DS and boot9strap I should be fine for playing not only 3DS backups, but DS and DSi backups?
No, boot9strap is very different than bootstrap (despite the similar name), which is what you are thinking of. DS/DSi backups still need a flashcard.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,
Reactions: Quantumcat

DeadlyRevengexX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll want to stick with luma. It's noob-proof and easy to use. The others are primarily for developement, debugging, etc.

Ah perfect! I really have no want to go tinkering around dev stuff. lol I just want to play my backups :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No, boot9strap is different than bootstrap (despite the similar name), which is what you are thinking of. DS/DSi backups still need a flashcard.
Ah I see! haha sorry! What does it do? Also could you recommend me a flash cart to play ds and dsi back up games on on the 3ds? That should be cool to link here right?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah perfect! I really have no want to go tinkering around dev stuff. lol I just want to play my backups :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ah I see! haha sorry! What does it do? Also could you recommend me a flash cart to play ds and dsi back up games on on the 3ds? That should be cool to link here right?
https://github.com/SciresM/boot9strap
Flashcard, I recommend this: http://www.nds-card.com/proshow.asp?PageNo=2&ProID=149, this site sponsors GBAtemp.

Reactions: WeedZ

DeadlyRevengexX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's an exploit method within the bootrom.
What does that mean? What's it do? Btw sorry for ALLLLLL of these questions. haha I really want to learn everything about this without the internet giving me 629261 different outdated answers haha You guys are seriously clearing up things for me! :bow:

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What does that mean? What's it do? Btw sorry for ALLLLLL of these questions. haha I really want to learn everything about this without the internet giving me 629261 different outdated answers haha You guys are seriously clearing up things for me! :bow:
We've had several different exploits over the years to run unsigned code. First we would use an entry point in the ds settings, then the themes settings, there was an arm9 exploit and now the bootrom. Each one more stable than the one before

DeadlyRevengexX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh very cool! Thanks! You know I ordered an R4 card from them a week ish ago for my other DS and it's coming from Hong Kong I think.. and I'm dying with how long I feel it might take .-. lol How long did yours take? I'm in America btw.
A couple of days, but I paid for express shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1