Hacking VC wad Kompressor

zant

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if it would be possible to compress wads to save space on wii system memory since we cant install to external devices.
It should save tremendous room per group of wads. Is there a current tool out there?

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can compress the ROM, but WADs can't be compressed.

Even with compression, you're not going to end up saving much space.

zant

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm...... thats too bad........ then maybe it will become possible to install to another source.....

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bosscolor said:
Why the fuck wii doesn't read SDHC ?
My guess is because they were trying to make a budget console and at the time of prototype, SDHC was either very new or not around at all.
Even though it's so common now, I don't see a point.

You can rip games off SD in two chunks. You do not need more than 4gb of VC games.

Also are you sure it can't read SDHC? Although I suppose no one's really tried since there's no point.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii doesn't read SDHC because its filesystem is only designed for FAT16.

FAT16 only supports a maximum volume size of 2GB.

They can still update the filesystem to support FAT32, which has a maximum volume size of 8TB, but it's doubtful that they'll ever incorporate it.

bosscolor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Thank you for your knowledge teq
wink2.gif

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, there are non-SDHC cards in the 4GB range, but the additional 2GB is in an extended partition.

It's possible that it might work on the Wii, but your data will likely be more volatile.

Why not just get a 2GB card and use WiiFTP to manage your data? Or, the Wad Manager supports USB mass storage devices, which would allow you to connect any external hard drive to it.

Anything more than 2GB seems excessive for WADs, but a terabyte external drive would be nice for movies.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arakon said:
Another reason: They likely wanted to prevent people from dumping games on a 4+ gig card and play from there.

Doubtful. You'd end up killing the SD card pretty quickly... not to mention, the price of a 4GB SD card was about $100 when they were designing the Wii.

It's actually more because they don't really have a good selection of 32bit filesystems that are open source and secure from exploitation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...