Hacking VC games give blank screen, but home menu appears, and I can see game behind menu

Kal82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've had some real problems getting VC games working, seems the main problem was I was using US wads on an EU Wii, although Priiloader region free was enabled. There was a thread where someone suggested using AnyRegion Changer to change the video mode to NTSC, and game region to USA, and the games do seem to be running now, just having trouble displaying them. Seems a bit like the output format is not understood by my TV, but loading the menu changes it to one it does understand. I have one of those Wii to HDMI converters in the back of the Wii to connect to my TV, I bought that in UK but my TV is american, I live in Canada.

A couple of Genesis games I tried had a similar problem, where the game was squashed into the top half of the screen, but I found some advice on here to go to home menu-> operations guide, and press Z + A + 2 other buttons simultaneously. That seems to have fixed the problem for Genesis games in general, but doesn't even make the noise to acknowledge I've pressed the buttons on the blank screen games.

I'm running these through Emunand on USB loader GX. I've got these 2 IOSs installed, but no neek
IOS249[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0

I've tried using USB loader to force a particular format, some of them seem to crash the Wii completely, or the blank screen remains the same. I may not have tried them all though.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Kal82,

dekuleon

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, I don't know how to help but, I got a used Wii and it had all source of crap installed on it, then I used Bootmii to create a NAND.bin and then used this program https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Ohneschwanzenegger to create a new clean NAND and flashed it back using Bootmii... then I had a clean Wii, just like a non-hacked one.

Kal82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I don't know how to help but, I got a used Wii and it had all source of crap installed on it, then I used Bootmii to create a NAND.bin and then used this program https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Ohneschwanzenegger to create a new clean NAND and flashed it back using Bootmii... then I had a clean Wii, just like a non-hacked one.
It was already modded when I bought it, so is diffcult to know what has on it. I can post a syscheck if that would help though.

I would rather fix without having to start from scratch, but I will keep this in mind if no joy.

Forgot some details I have now added to OP:
I'm running these through Emunand on USB loader GX. I've got these 2 IOSs installed, but no neek
IOS249[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
you tv seems to not support 240p through hdmi.
virtual console games run mostly at 240p, when you open the home menu changes to 480i or 480p.
there is a combination of buttons you can press to tell the wii to display the games at 480i too (but not 480p).

from RetroRGB said:
Playing in 240p
In order to play VC games in 240p, your Wii needs to be set to 480i mode. Then follow this procedure:

1. Set your Wii to 480i mode (I had mine set to 4:3 as well…I’m not sure if that matters). This will not work in 480p mode.
2. Start a Virtual Console game.
2. Press the Home button to bring up the Home menu, and then click on Operations Guide.
3. Attach a Nunchuk controller to your Wii remote (if the classic controller is plugged in, you’ll have to remove it to do this).
4. Press A+1+Z simultaneously (A and 1 are on your Wii remote, Z on your Nunchuk).
5. You should hear a sound confirming that you’ve done this correctly. This should activate 240p mode for all VC games that are 240p-compatible.
6. To switch to 480i mode for VC, follow the same steps as above, but press A+2+Z instead

Reactions: dekuleon

Kal82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you tv seems to not support 240p through hdmi.
virtual console games run mostly at 240p, when you open the home menu changes to 480i or 480p.
there is a combination of buttons you can press to tell the wii to display the games at 480i too (but not 480p).

Ah, the combination of buttons you mention seems to be a better description of the fix I mentioned above. Much easier to get working now. It seems to have made most Genesis games work properly, but NES games don't make the success noise or have any effect, and I just tried Metal Slug (SNK), and it appeared stretched to double the height at first, buttons trick made noises but both 1 and 2 left me with just a black screen.

Any other tricks like that that might affect other games?

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
AFAIK it doesn't work with all the vc titles. I believe that neogeo games only play at 240p, not sure about nes but it seems to be the case too.
it has been ages since I did this kind of thing on my wii so I don't remember if it would be possible to force 480i or 480p on vc titles using homebrew or not. but that could be the solution if you don't want to fall back to composite video for those troublesome games.

Kal82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
AFAIK it doesn't work with all the vc titles. I believe that neogeo games only play at 240p, not sure about nes but it seems to be the case too.
it has been ages since I did this kind of thing on my wii so I don't remember if it would be possible to force 480i or 480p on vc titles using homebrew or not. but that could be the solution if you don't want to fall back to composite video for those troublesome games.

TV doesn't have composite, and I stupidly chucked out my composite cable anyway, didn't think I'd need it again. Always end up regretting throwing out cables, probably end up hoarding them.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for the advice though, I will have another play with forcing 480 :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/TECN1Gm7j3A?si=XwYKYHKwxoMNdFqN