Valve pushes DLSS support to Proton for DX12 games

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Valve pushed changes to the Proton Experimental branch that supports Nvidia's DLSS technology in DirectX 12 games. Previously, Valve only used the DLSS function in games that ran on the Vulkan API. However, Valve's experimental support now allows DirectX 12 games to run DLSS without a problem, and it will arrive in the stable Proton branch after further testing.

From Tom's Hardware

While this doesn't benefit the Steam Deck, it's certainly an example of how Linux gaming is being improved overall as a direct result.

Last edited by subcon959,
Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
While this doesn't benefit the Steam Deck, it's certainly an example of how Linux gaming is being improved overall as a direct result.
Yeah I was about to say: doesn't DLSS only work with Nvidia cards that have tensor cores? If they had somehow made it work for other GPUs via Proton, I'd make the switch to Linux on my desktop right away. :D

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Let me get this straight. This works on games that don't have native DLSS support?
That is huge if so, and actually the first real selling point for using Linux over Windows for gaming. Nvidia should enable DLSS retroactively for all games in their drivers too. There is no reason they can't, as DLSS 2.0 isn't trained per game like 1.0 was. It might not work well for all games and I guess that's why they haven't done it, but there's still a good percentage it would work well on.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This only applies to games that do have native DLSS support using DX12, and it applies to PCs that do have an NVIDIA card but are running Linux and Proton.

This does not apply to the Steam Deck, or to PCs without an NVIDIA card. I believe this is clear from the OP, but I think still there is some kind of misunderstanding afterwards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: