• Cryptocurrency Warning:
    The risks of trading cryptocurrencies are mainly related to its volatility. They are high-risk and speculative and it is important that you understand the risks before you start trading. They are volatile: unexpected changes in market sentiment can lead to sharp and sudden moves in price.
    Please be aware that any information provided here can be the opinion of the author. Trade at your own risk.

uTorrent (may) Silent Install Crypto Currency Miner

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yes you can in advanced settings
I've checked at least 30 times, and otherwise a program like "Pimp my uTorrent" wouldn't have been created. You can't.

http://schizoduckie.github.io/PimpMyuTorrent/

EDIT: Whoops like you're right. Funny, I've never found those advanced settings apparently: http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/814...ds-except-for-the-silly-upgrade-banner/page-3

EDIT2: No way I'd have ever found out crap like this:
Hidden menu = Options > Preferences > Hold F2/Shift while clicking Advanced:
wtf

Reactions: Queno138

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can disable and block all that crap in the settings it's not hard to do.
That's true for the ads, but people are reporting (whether they're misinformed or not, we don't know) that Epic Scale was installed silently onto their computers, without being given an option to decline the offer. Honestly, if they installed Epic Scale because they weren't paying attention to what they were confirming/accepting, then they're the ones to blame, although it's pretty messed up on uTorrent's side.
Not the effin ads everywhere though.
My uTorrent client is fully updated (although it's gonna be uninstalled soon) and there are no ads in it. Like other people have said, advanced settings.
I've checked at least 30 times, and otherwise a program like "Pimp my uTorrent" wouldn't have been created. You can't.

EDIT: Whoops like you're right. Funny, I've never found those advanced settings apparently: http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/814...ds-except-for-the-silly-upgrade-banner/page-3
Silly goose, learn to read.

But anywhoo, I wasn't affected, but like raulpica said, I've been wanting to switch for a long time. It may not be unique to uTorrent, but when dealing with large downloads, it often crashes, without informing me. It really sucks to expect a download to be finished in 3 hours and then 3 hours later you see it crashed after 10 minutes. I tried Deluge when I first thought of switching, but I couldn't get the RSS plugin to work, so I just stuck with uTorrent. Now, I found qBittorrent, which lets me use RSS feeds perfectly. Silver lining, I guess.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
anything that says offers set it to false
No way I'm keeping it on anyway. I don't want to risk that everytime an upgrade is out something can get installed on my PC.

Also, I don't want to tell all my friends how to go in the advanced settings and disable all that stuff. It's finally time for uTorrent to retire - I'm already advising everyone I know to uninstall it.

BitTorrent Inc. has showed to be too greedy and now it'll bite them straight in the ass.

Silly goose, learn to read.
I haven't got as much time available as I did in the past, I can't google stuff all day just to find out that some ads can be disabled :)

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China

EDIT2: No way I'd have ever found out crap like this:

wtf

when they decided to put that crap of ads, i was still to lazy to move it and thought "at least they got option to disable it somewhere..." but it was pretty hidden... still, usually you simply can't disable the ads... skype being a good example, full of ads except if you have some credit on the skype wallet... i have 7 cents on it, as long as i have that cents there are no ads...

but it's time for change.. going to choose qBittorrent either that or the transmition windows port. i love transmition on ubuntu...

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
well it's the only program that i can get high download speeds from and i've tried many others. and just don't upgrade past 3.4.2 and disable auto updates in check for updates

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seen this crap posted all over facebook and while I don't doubt its possible the main problem here is that the majority of people don't bother to actually read what it is they're installing.

I also highly recommend qTorrent. It's the only program that came close to uTorrent without actually being uTorrent. It has the same list of features and as far as I can tell it's also faster (the program itself, torrent speeds were never an issue to me).

*edit* Also while I don't think the OP mentions this the same malware found in uTorrent is also found in BitTorent as it's the same exact program but with a different name.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Utorrents been junk for the past couple years now. Bundled with all kinds of adware/spyware/crapware etc. Why anybody still uses it is beyond me. I moved on from utorrent when all this crap started happening.
The last decent one was 2.0.4 and since then uTorrent has been losing more and more users due to the unnecessary bs they add.

People just want a torrent app to download and seed, that's it!

good thing i've always used Vuze

I tried Vuze and then found out that it's heavy as shit whereas uTorrent 2.0.4 was super light-weight and did exactly as it was meant to.

Screw Vuze and uTorrent, qBittorrent is my pick.

vahnx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you read the OP, you'd see that nobody actually knows why the install is happening, only that it's happening with uTorrent. It could just be a broken installer, or it could be intentional, but nobody right now knows for sure.

I read the OP, but then the company released a statement saying you have to opt-in.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh I had know idea Mac's weren't PC's. I better take a computer course.

Arguing whether a Mac is a PC is like arguing over whether a Tomato is a fruit or vegetable. A Tomato is both a fruit and a vegetable because the terms aren't mutually exclusive. In court http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nix_v._Hedden it was decided that the ordinary use of the word rather than the botanical use of the word should be applied for tax purposes.

However if you talk about a PC then people expect you to be talking about an x86 compatible computer that runs Windows. If someone asks you to pick up some fruit from the store then they don't expect you to buy Tomatoes.

Language is all about expectations, if you decide to use words in different ways than others expect then your communication attempts are likely to be degraded (even if you use words in a way that is technically correct).

Whether the use of the word PC in this news report follows the majority expectation is anyone's guess. But only people running MacOS will care and they are in the minority. The majority of Mac owners assume that their operating system protects them from virus and malware anyway, so this is the least of their problems.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
And this why I dual boot always with Linux distro, must likely Ubuntu.

Not only you get to encrypt your harddrive with out a lot of hassle... You get a wide range of torrent clients which is 10 times better, which is open source and you are able to see what's happening behind the scene...

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can disable and block all that crap in the settings it's not hard to do.
No thanks, if they're gonna bundle that crap at all (even optionally, i dont want it period.

I swear by Transmission, cleanest torrent client ive ever used. It also comes bundled with any official distro of Ubuntu and has a built in ip blocker (needs to be configured manually or it doesnt work) but still. I have no idea if Transmission is available for Windows, but i highly recommend it either way. Even if its not available for Windows yoy can just set up Ubuntu as dual boot (or setup a VM) and off you go.....)

Plus the vast majority of viruses are written for Windows anyways (and we know viruses tend to be rampant with file sharing) so your better off doing p2p under linux anyways :P

Reactions: matpower

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
What surprises me isn't just that people are actually using modern uTorrent, it's that people are actually torrenting via their personal computers rather than setting up a secure seedbox for a couple bucks a month. I suppose it's not necessary if you're only downloading completely legal torrents, but it certainly limits security issues.
That's quite elaborate for people who might only torrent something once a week. More serious users might invest in something like this, but most ordinary users have the right to expect their client not to be malicious.

Anyway, I personally use Deluge. Open source, the only way a client like this can be trusted.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay