uTorrent (may) Silent Install Crypto Currency Miner

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Tom Bombadildo, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    utorrent.png

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, cuz uTorrent may be installing cryptocurrency miners all up in your PC. At some recent point in time, uTorrent users have been experiencing odd slowdowns and high CPU usage reports on their systems only to find that they were coming from a cryptocurrency miner installed on their system, called Epic Scale.

After some users went snooping, they discovered that Epic Scale was being installed with a uTorrent install/update, but whether it was a ploy from uTorrent or one of the many ad offers uTorrent has stuffed in their installers is unknown at this time. The situation isn't entirely clear, either, as the reports of this miner being installed are infrequent to a point that some users must be triggering something with their uTorrent updates/installers that is causing the silent install of the miner.

BitTorrent Inc has made a small response to this claim, and originally didn't believe it at all after moderators deliberately deleted the first forum thread made on uTorrent's site regarding the issue.
    :arrow:Source

It's strongly recommended any uTorrent user checks their PC for any malware and miners that could or couldn't have been installed.

In the mean time, any uTorrent users should check out other (safer) torrent programs, such as qBittorent, Tixati, or Transmission. You can also find an older version of uTorrent, such as 2.2.1, which is considered the last "great" update from uTorrent.

SnugglesDr, Margen67, Gahars and 4 others like this.

2. Kippykip

Kippykip D E L E T T H I S

Mar 30, 2013
    woah

3. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    good thing I'm on a mac

minexew, Celice and Wellington2k like this.
  4. vahnx

vahnx Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2012
    Canada
    I hope this isn't true but seems unlikely :(
    I've been a uTorrent user for several years. While I don't agree with their most recent builds (ads everywhere) you can still go into settings and turn them off.
    But installing a miner without me knowing? I'm moving to Deluge.

Edit: http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/950...ware-silently-installed-with-latest-utorrent/

uTorrent runs on Mac

5. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Unfortunately there is no way to migrate to another torrent program short of manually opening every single torrent one at a time. If you have a ton of different torrents with multiple download folders on different drives, then switching over could easily takes weeks.

6. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension

[​IMG]

uTorrent runs on a mac, but the crap that it's installing probably doesn't (just an assumption cos a lot of crap isn't developed for mac), and just did a quick search on Epic Scale's website et voila, "Windows only"

7. Kippykip

Kippykip D E L E T T H I S

Mar 30, 2013
    Just downgraded to the 2013 uTorrent, has no ads anyway

Satangel likes this.
  8. vahnx

vahnx Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2012
    Canada
    Oh I had know idea Mac's weren't PC's. I better take a computer course.

Amadren likes this.
  9. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Pretty sure he means he's safe because nobody makes virus' for macs because those poor bastards are suffering enough already by just using that OS.

Gahars, kehkou, superthorn96 and 19 others like this.
  10. vahnx

vahnx Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2012
    Canada

I wish that was the case but I encountered a virus on a mac a few months ago. The user installed a "codec pack" to watch a fake movie download. Suddenly fake OS pop-ups and browser hijackings galore.

11. jumpman17

jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

Former Staff
    Apr 11, 2003
    United States
    I don't seem to have anything like that running on my computer. I know Malwarebytes blocked uTorrent from installing their stupid Web Toolbar thing with the last update, but that was it.

Kippykip likes this.
  12. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    Utorrents been junk for the past couple years now. Bundled with all kinds of adware/spyware/crapware etc. Why anybody still uses it is beyond me. I moved on from utorrent when all this crap started happening.

KingBlank and vahnx like this.
  13. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    I haven't updated uTorrent since 3.4.2 (on build 33883 to be specific). There was something in an update I didn't want to *** with, so I stopped updating it. What is the latest version of uTorrent anyway and is the one I have come with this crap? I haven't noticed any CPU spikes. My internet is generally ***t all the time, so network spikes I wouldn't really notice. :P

14. vahnx

vahnx Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2012
    Canada
    "We can confirm that the Epic Scale partnership is, per our policy, an optional install presented to users during the install of µtorrent."

Is there any truth to this? I know they try tricking people by alternating Yes/No positions and Agree/Disagree during installation but from what I hear, this is not the case?

15. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    If you read the OP, you'd see that nobody actually knows why the install is happening, only that it's happening with uTorrent. It could just be a broken installer, or it could be intentional, but nobody right now knows for sure.

16. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    What surprises me isn't just that people are actually using modern uTorrent, it's that people are actually torrenting via their personal computers rather than setting up a secure seedbox for a couple bucks a month. I suppose it's not necessary if you're only downloading completely legal torrents, but it certainly limits security issues.

17. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    So, use another torrent client.
    Case solved XD

Kippykip likes this.
  18. 2Hack

2Hack HYPiavelli

Nov 26, 2014
    Canada
    Underground
    I left uTorrent after fighting that bs Conduit shit for the 2nd/3rd time.
    I'm now using qBittorrent and have no issues whatsoever. Not feeling bad about the switch :)

Aeter likes this.
  19. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    OMG search Conduit crap was pain in the arse to remove ><

Kippykip and 2Hack like this.
  20. 2Hack

2Hack HYPiavelli

Nov 26, 2014
    Canada
    Underground
    Not just that, it was in every fucking update :angry: then my dad would blame me for it. Fuck that shit man! Hate it so much.
    Haven't had utorrent in years now ^.^