• Cryptocurrency Warning:
    The risks of trading cryptocurrencies are mainly related to its volatility. They are high-risk and speculative and it is important that you understand the risks before you start trading. They are volatile: unexpected changes in market sentiment can lead to sharp and sudden moves in price.
    Please be aware that any information provided here can be the opinion of the author. Trade at your own risk.

uTorrent (may) Silent Install Crypto Currency Miner

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
utorrent.png

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, cuz uTorrent may be installing cryptocurrency miners all up in your PC. At some recent point in time, uTorrent users have been experiencing odd slowdowns and high CPU usage reports on their systems only to find that they were coming from a cryptocurrency miner installed on their system, called Epic Scale.

After some users went snooping, they discovered that Epic Scale was being installed with a uTorrent install/update, but whether it was a ploy from uTorrent or one of the many ad offers uTorrent has stuffed in their installers is unknown at this time. The situation isn't entirely clear, either, as the reports of this miner being installed are infrequent to a point that some users must be triggering something with their uTorrent updates/installers that is causing the silent install of the miner.

Torrent Freak said:
The silent install appears to happen selectively, and not on all machines. TF had confirmation from various sides and with screenshots of every step of the install process where no Epic Scale screen appeared. In one case, the opt-out screen was eventually shown after several re-installs.

BitTorrent Inc has made a small response to this claim, and originally didn't believe it at all after moderators deliberately deleted the first forum thread made on uTorrent's site regarding the issue.
BitTorrent Inc said:
“In terms of user complaints in our forums, we always take these claims seriously. We highly value our users, they are a passionate and tech savvy group. In the last 24 hours we have received less than a dozen inquiries out of several million offers.”

“We have reviewed the issue closely and can confirm there is no silent install happening. We are continuing to look at the issue. But this is most likely these users accepted the offer during install.”

:arrow:Source

It's strongly recommended any uTorrent user checks their PC for any malware and miners that could or couldn't have been installed.

In the mean time, any uTorrent users should check out other (safer) torrent programs, such as qBittorent, Tixati, or Transmission. You can also find an older version of uTorrent, such as 2.2.1, which is considered the last "great" update from uTorrent.

vahnx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Unfortunately there is no way to migrate to another torrent program short of manually opening every single torrent one at a time. If you have a ton of different torrents with multiple download folders on different drives, then switching over could easily takes weeks.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
uTorrent runs on Mac

uTorrent may be installing cryptocurrency miners all up in your PC.

It's strongly recommended any uTorrent user checks their PC for any malware and miners that could or couldn't have been installed.

34q4ieh.png

uTorrent runs on a mac, but the crap that it's installing probably doesn't (just an assumption cos a lot of crap isn't developed for mac), and just did a quick search on Epic Scale's website et voila, "Windows only"

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh I had know idea Mac's weren't PC's. I better take a computer course.

Pretty sure he means he's safe because nobody makes virus' for macs because those poor bastards are suffering enough already by just using that OS.

vahnx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pretty sure he means he's safe because nobody makes virus' for macs because those poor bastards are suffering enough already by just using that OS.

I wish that was the case but I encountered a virus on a mac a few months ago. The user installed a "codec pack" to watch a fake movie download. Suddenly fake OS pop-ups and browser hijackings galore.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't seem to have anything like that running on my computer. I know Malwarebytes blocked uTorrent from installing their stupid Web Toolbar thing with the last update, but that was it.

Reactions: Kippykip

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I haven't updated uTorrent since 3.4.2 (on build 33883 to be specific). There was something in an update I didn't want to *** with, so I stopped updating it. What is the latest version of uTorrent anyway and is the one I have come with this crap? I haven't noticed any CPU spikes. My internet is generally ***t all the time, so network spikes I wouldn't really notice. :P

vahnx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"We can confirm that the Epic Scale partnership is, per our policy, an optional install presented to users during the install of µtorrent."

Is there any truth to this? I know they try tricking people by alternating Yes/No positions and Agree/Disagree during installation but from what I hear, this is not the case?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
"We can confirm that the Epic Scale partnership is, per our policy, an optional install presented to users during the install of µtorrent."

Is there any truth to this? I know they try tricking people by alternating Yes/No positions and Agree/Disagree during installation but from what I hear, this is not the case?

If you read the OP, you'd see that nobody actually knows why the install is happening, only that it's happening with uTorrent. It could just be a broken installer, or it could be intentional, but nobody right now knows for sure.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What surprises me isn't just that people are actually using modern uTorrent, it's that people are actually torrenting via their personal computers rather than setting up a secure seedbox for a couple bucks a month. I suppose it's not necessary if you're only downloading completely legal torrents, but it certainly limits security issues.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I left uTorrent after fighting that bs Conduit shit for the 2nd/3rd time.
I'm now using qBittorrent and have no issues whatsoever. Not feeling bad about the switch :)

OMG search Conduit crap was pain in the arse to remove ><

Reactions: Kippykip and 2Hack

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16