Hacking Using SDHC in games

ShakaHeath

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi all,

I bought a 8 Gb SDHC to use with RB2 (to get more DLC songs as they come) but the games doesn't seem to recognize it.

I'm using a 4.0E Wii (and I can download RB2 songs though I live in France but this is off topic) with IOS 249 (Rev10) installed and CIOSCORP V2...

What should I do?

ShakaHeath

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not the kind of answer I was waiting for and the wiki is down anyway...

Is there a way I can use my SDHC with RB2? Should I use SoftChip to boot the game from a specific IOS?

My SDHC works with the SD menu of 4.0 and with game saves... why doesn't it work with RB2?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't know about how it's for games but for homebrew the sdhc drivers are inside the applications. So if you want to use sdhc in a homebrew application, the application itself has to have the driver for it.

If nintendo somehow fully integrated the sdhc drivers into the IOS, you have to wait for a cIOS based on the new IOS revisions to check if it really works.

If you would play a non-backup i would suggest to install the latest version of the IOS that is used by the game.

thecyanaura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
simple answer, no.

long answer, Hmx can't patch the game to use a new technology that Nintendo just implemented. The game was designed with SD (non-HC) cards as the only storage device for DLC.

if it was just a matter of pointing the game somewhere else, then we could (ideally) use a USB HDD. Unfortunately, it's not the case.

I've got about 60 DLC right now and I am only halfway through my 2gb SD that also has plenty of Homebrew Apps and Data on it. I don't have a problem with loading a couple of SD cards with the exact songs that I want on each.

penetr8or

Trophies
XP
Country
Heathcliff said:
Not the kind of answer I was waiting for and the wiki is down anyway...

Is there a way I can use my SDHC with RB2? Should I use SoftChip to boot the game from a specific IOS?

My SDHC works with the SD menu of 4.0 and with game saves... why doesn't it work with RB2?
Chick didn't actually ask you to visit the wiki..
QUOTE(Nintendo_Chick @ May 4 2009, 10:34 PM) you should click that link to the right of "wiki" at the top of the page.
You'll notice there is another link to the right of Wiki called Search..
I've never had this question, but have noticed it being asked and answered many times, which is probably why you should have searched for it..

Anyways, no there is no way to ge RB2 to recognise the SDHC at this time.. You can wait for Nintendo to "maybe" release an update that enables SDHC for existing games.. But you could also go out and buy a few 4GB SD-cards.. I'll try see if I can find the name of the ones I got.. Works perfectly for AC:CF, and worked fine for backing up channels/saves before 4.0 since they aren't SDHC

ShakaHeath

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
penetr8or said:
Chick didn't actually ask you to visit the wiki..
Nintendo_Chick said:
you should click that link to the right of "wiki" at the top of the page.
You'll notice there is another link to the right of Wiki called Search..

You don't have to be that rude... I just mis-read what chick said! Plus I'm not the only one to forget about the search engine. I know this is annoying but this is no reason for being rude.
Well anyway thanks for the answer.

simple answer, no.

long answer, Hmx can't patch the game to use a new technology that Nintendo just implemented. The game was designed with SD (non-HC) cards as the only storage device for DLC.

Well THIS is the kind of answer I was expecting. And this is basically what I thought.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
If the games don't use IOS for writing to SD, then why do they have problems with the USB loader? If they do use the IOS, wouldn't it be a case of patching the IOS?

McH

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
They use IOS to access SD (or USB), basically to read/write data blocks:
The low level protocols (FAT32 & SDHC) are however handled by the PowerPC (i.e the application), via provided libraries

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SDHC support doesn't have to be in the PowerPC code/game, homebrew applications only do it that way so they will work with any IOS. Patching an IOS to add SDHC support and using it to run RB2 would work.

ShakaHeath

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah tueidj that's right! I tried launching RB2 with IOS60 using SoftChip and I didn't have the same error as when launching the game from the disc channel...

I might look for a solution this way...

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You get a message like "The catalog on the SD card is corrupt" instead of the normal "The device in the SD slot cannot be used" ? Or maybe that's with GHWT. Same problem anyway. IOS60 works in mysterious ways.
Unless you really know what you're doing with IOS hacking, it's probably not worth the effort.

ShakaHeath

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah that was the message...
I guess I will have to wait.

Something I don't understand is why it doesn't work with IOS249 (cIOS36 rev 10) it has SDHC support, right?

PS: Are you still trying to get GHWT custom to work?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Waninkoko's cIOS has a SDHC module, but applications have to be written to specifically support it (like the USB loader).

I still think about working on customs but I don't have time to implement anything. I don't think you'll have to wait too long for SDHC support though, someone will probably come up with something soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo