mjolnir_markiv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hi!

I wonder if there's a way to use 8bitdo's NES30Pro with the Wii as Classic Controller via Retro Receiver for NES Classic. Custom firmware maybe? I tried it out of curiosity, but games doesn't seem to recognize it: ask me to remove unsupported controller from Wiimote. Doesn't work with emulators as well, no input.

Guys from 8bitdo weren't able clarify it for me, they tend to answer questions I didn't ask :/

Thanks!

Sticksandstones

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may or may not help, I know nothing about the setup but a search result here had a post with this as a suggestion to this problem, it may be the firmware you're looking for.
ok, for anyone else who might be having trouble, you have to get the Extended Firmware for Wii/WiiU

here http://www.8bitdo.com/nes30pro/Extend-firmware.html

now turn your controller off (hold until the yellow light goes off)

then power on and hold y at the same time (this puts it in the Wii/WiiU firmware, but we're still not done)

now hold start and B at the same time (this puts it in Wii Classic mode) start + X is WiiU mode btw (also star + Y is wii-mote mode, but idk why anyone would use that at all)

now (still not finished) you have to do this at the controller options screen, and the 8Bitdo Nes30 Pro will HAVE to be listed as controller 2

now power down your wii, take a battery out of the Wii-mote, power up the wii (on the front of the unit). Hit A on the 8Bitdo Nes30 Pro and you should be in business!!!

dont worry all the menu's are still navigable in Wii Classic mode (it does take some getting used to, without pointing)

tap the power button on the 8Bitdo Nes30 Pro to bring up the finger on the wii channel selection thing then move with the left stick,

then once in the HBC tap the power button again to get control of that menu (and the same i assume for all emulators once you open them)

p.s. here is one more important thing, the sync button (beside the power button on the 8Bitdo Nes30 Pro) is now your Home button.

enjoy

Turns out that link isn't active anymore.
http://support.8bitdo.com/
Here's where you can find their latest firmware. Try the additional firmware zip.

Last edited by Sticksandstones,

mjolnir_markiv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Thanks, but it's not quite what I want. Extended firmware is needed when you'd want to sync NES 30 Pro with Wii directly, it's recognized as Wiimote (naturally shoulder buttons and analog sticks don't work in that mode). While I'm trying to get it working as Classic Controller via Retro Receiver, and it works somewhat :) but it's a mess: some buttons work, some do not, some act weirdly (left should button scrolls Wii menu right and vice versa), emulators all freeze upon upon connecting Retro Receiver. I guess no luck for me.

IAmCaptPlanet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you do it the way i said there it acts exactly like a Wii Classic controller all the buttons do exactly what they say they are in emulators (except R and R2 might be switched with RZ and R, same for L, seems like they were wonky)

it is a pain in the butt though, every menu change (going from wii menu to HBC, to different emulators and back) you have to tap the power button to make it realize its on. and its very easy to unsync

you basically have to trick the wii into thinking its wiimote 2 then restart it with wiimote 1 off so now wiimote 2 is the only one, and gets bumped to number 1

the wii actually recognizes it as a wiimote (no.1) with a classic controller plugged into it (obviously you wont have pointing/motion controls)

i was bummed out that i couldnt get it to work more stable-y but i realized i would much rather play with Nintendos own real classic controller.

of course the only advantage may be certain Wii game that are not compatible with classic controller that you can get to work somewhat with the nesbit30

Flo_o

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, great to see somebody with the same problems i had from the start when i bought the NES30 controller, just to be clear, NES30/SNES30 can only be recognized by the Wii as a wiimote controller, not a classic controller. When the normal forum at 8bitdo.com was active (they totally changed it now and they do not maintain their old firmware any more, also they removed it completelly), i asked for new firmware so that the wii can recognize it as a classic controller or a wiimote+nunchuck combo because of the missing L+R buttons (they do not work), it sucks that you can only use this controller for VC (mega man 9,10 etc.), emu's NES, GAMEBOY or emu SNES game's dat don't use the L+R button. I hope somebody can create custom firmware for this controller so that the wii will recognize it as a classic/wiimote+nunchuck controller.

What i recommend is downloading the V2.69 firmware, this firmware version can be recognized by the wii, every other firmware newer than V2.69 (maybe there is a next one after V2.69, i'm not sure) does not work, they removed the wii compatibility and replaced it with the Switch compatibility, V4.00

hope this helps

IAmCaptPlanet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, i have had mine working on my wii as a Classic Controller for sure (whether that was removed with newer firmwares and whatnot, i have no idea)

the firmware i used had 3 modes

start and Y is wii-mote mode (X and Y didnt work in this mode and B and A functioned as 2 and 1, not sure about anything else when i noticed X and Y didnt work in this mode i abandoned using it)

start and X is WiiU mode (sounds exactly like what it is, and i assume this works fine with the emulators that have been updated to work with WiiU controllers, and i played around in BotW with this setting)

and.... the final setting

start and B - Wii classic mode. Acts exactly like a Wii Classic Controller. it just shows up as Wiimote #2 with a classic controller attached. so you have to "trick" your wii into getting it set as Wiimote #1 and it DOES work. its just aggrovating to get working.

like i said, if this firmware isnt available anymore or whatever, maybe it was removed. but i DID get it working that way one time

but maybe the best option is to stick it in WiiU mode and hope that your favorite emulators recognize WiiU classic controllers. i think all the Tantric ones do btw

---edit---
and by the way, i am talking about NOT even using the retro reciever. maybe that's where the problem is coming up. i dont have one of those and they are not even needed if set up properly. its just hard to get the wii to pick up the Nesbit30 in the first place. but it can be done

Last edited by IAmCaptPlanet,
Reactions: mjolnir_markiv

mjolnir_markiv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
@IAmCaptPlanet, thanks, I didn' realize there're multiple modes, documentation doesn't mention it (change log does though as I've realized it now). It works!

Basically setup process of NES30Pro for the Wii looks like this (in case someone's still having problems):
  1. Update your NES30Pro firmware to 1.71 (so called "additional"). Use updater app from the most recent firmware release as updater from 1.71 package might not work on certain systems (I used executables from 4.00 and 4.01). Do exactly as instructions in the app say, otherwise it won't work.
  2. Turn the Wii on and press Home button on the Wiimote to enter controllers menu or whatever it's called.
  3. Press and hold red Sync button on the front panel of the Wii behind the door until everything is unsynched.
  4. Turn NES30Pro by pressing and holding Power + Y for ~3 sec.
  5. Change the mode to desired: Start + Y (Wiimote), Start + B (Wiimote + Classic Controller), Start + X (Wii U Pro controller, works with most recent versions of emulators), not sure but this step could be done at any point I think.
  6. Tap NES30Pro's and Wii's Sync buttons, wait for connection between the two.
In Wii Classic Controller mode L/R are reversed indeed, not a problem for emulators though. Constant reconnection upon exiting to Wii Menu is not a huge deal as well, regular Wiimote does this as well albeit more swiftly.

Reactions: WesMods

IAmCaptPlanet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice, i was hoping someone would find a more stable way to do this.

one problem i'm still not clear on though.

i get the controller to sync fine in the wii menu, then click on homebrew channel to play some emulators, and the controller "de-syncs"

and i cannot figure out how to sync it back. is it as simple as re-syncing every time? (hittin the red button on the wii and sync on the controller, for EVERY menu? which could get tedious every time)

any help is appriciated

TumidBus6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

I know this is a really old post, but I was hoping that somebody could help me here.

I used these instructions to get the controller to sync (finally), but now I have a different problem.

With SNES9x I can't get the b and the y buttons to both work together.

When I sync and set to wiimote+classic controller mode only the Y button works (b does nothing), and when I sync with Wii U pro controller mode I can jump (b) but the y button doesn't work. Also the movement is choppy in this mode as well.

Is there a way to get the whole controller working properly that anyone has figured out?

@IAmCaptPlanet, thanks, I didn' realize there're multiple modes, documentation doesn't mention it (change log does though as I've realized it now). It works!

Basically setup process of NES30Pro for the Wii looks like this (in case someone's still having problems):
  1. Update your NES30Pro firmware to 1.71 (so called "additional"). Use updater app from the most recent firmware release as updater from 1.71 package might not work on certain systems (I used executables from 4.00 and 4.01). Do exactly as instructions in the app say, otherwise it won't work.
  2. Turn the Wii on and press Home button on the Wiimote to enter controllers menu or whatever it's called.
  3. Press and hold red Sync button on the front panel of the Wii behind the door until everything is unsynched.
  4. Turn NES30Pro by pressing and holding Power + Y for ~3 sec.
  5. Change the mode to desired: Start + Y (Wiimote), Start + B (Wiimote + Classic Controller), Start + X (Wii U Pro controller, works with most recent versions of emulators), not sure but this step could be done at any point I think.
  6. Tap NES30Pro's and Wii's Sync buttons, wait for connection between the two.
In Wii Classic Controller mode L/R are reversed indeed, not a problem for emulators though. Constant reconnection upon exiting to Wii Menu is not a huge deal as well, regular Wiimote does this as well albeit more swiftly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it