Using External SSD along with internal HDD

antonyfirst

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have a 256gb ssd that I removed from a pc after upgrading the pc internal memory.
I would like to use this 256gb ssd with my PS4 Pro as an external disk, being able to install games to either the internal hdd or this ssd, and also being able to play the games from both (so, the ssd would not be used just as storage).
Is this possible? Which steps should I follow? And what kind of ssd adapter should I buy?

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I have a 256gb ssd that I removed from a pc after upgrading the pc internal memory.
I would like to use this 256gb ssd with my PS4 Pro as an external disk, being able to install games to either the internal hdd or this ssd, and also being able to play the games from both (so, the ssd would not be used just as storage).
Is this possible? Which steps should I follow? And what kind of ssd adapter should I buy?
Go on youtube and watch a video guide by Modded Warfare, he shows you how to do what you want and it would be easier for you to watch that, than read a bunch of replies.

Reactions: antonyfirst

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you plan to use it for the PS4 only then use extended storage, you can also use app2usb like @mrdude mentioned, it come down to what you want to do, if you want to use the SSD with the PC and the PS4 then go for app2usb.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
If you plan to use it for the PS4 only then use extended storage, you can also use app2usb like @mrdude mentioned, it come down to what you want to do, if you want to use the SSD with the PC and the PS4 then go for app2usb.
TBH if he was going to do that, he would be better putting the SSD inside the PS4 pro to take advantage of the SSD speed advantage for booting up the OS. Then use the HDD as an exernal drive and just use the PS4 to format it as exernal storage. The SSD over usb 3.1 is a total waste of an SSD drive in my opinion, but each to their own.

antonyfirst

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for the replies!
I could also replace the hdd with the ssd.
The hdd is 1TB, while the ssd is only 256GB.
Would the hdd over usb 3.1 perform equally well as if it was internal?
Otherwise, I'd have too little space in the internal memory since my ssd is only 256gb...
Thanks!!!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies!
Otherwise, I'd have too little space in the internal memory since my ssd is only 256gb...
Thanks!!!
A small ssd is best for internal to boost os performance. Keep all games on external, because it can be reused on another system like if yours were ever to fail. It will be bottlenecked by the usb connection, so it won't be as fast as an internal ssd.

Randqalan

The Wheel of Time Turns
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A small ssd is best for internal to boost os performance. Keep all games on external, because it can be reused on another system like if yours were ever to fail. It will be bottlenecked by the usb connection, so it won't be as fast as an internal ssd.
On pro system with both internal and external ssd of same type the external loads most games about a second faster on mine. Most likely because of auto recording to ssd on internal.

antonyfirst

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, I have a Ps4 Pro too.

The ssd (which I am taking out of a Lenovo X280) is this one:

Would it still be the best idea to swap the internal hdd with this intel ssd, and use the hdd externally?

Thanks to all for the replies!!

Randqalan

The Wheel of Time Turns
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really up to you but games and apps will boot slightly faster if on ssd. If internal ssd also faster reboot and startup. At one time I had both my ssd external only reason I finally put one internal was to have faster boot and use both at once. Fyi you can have as many external HDD as you want but only one can be hooked up at a time I actually have 5 external HDD.😉
Post automatically merged:

Official and app to usb both work with more than one HDD. I only use official so I can run games on my slim PS4 also. Apptousb you have to either reinstall or use another app to recognize them.

antonyfirst

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Really up to you but games and apps will boot slightly faster if on ssd. If internal ssd also faster reboot and startup. At one time I had both my ssd external only reason I finally put one internal was to have faster boot and use both at once. Fyi you can have as many external HDD as you want but only one can be hooked up at a time I actually have 5 external HDD.😉
Post automatically merged:

Official and app to usb both work with more than one HDD. I only use official so I can run games on my slim PS4 also. Apptousb you have to either reinstall or use another app to recognize them.

Thanks for the info!

So, just to close the circle: since the large majority of my games will stay on the 1 TB HDD, connecting such HDD through USB will not make those games load slower than using the HDD as internal?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies!
Thanks!!!

That 256GB is like nothing, after system partition you probably got like upper 100ish GB.

Reactions: Randqalan

Randqalan

The Wheel of Time Turns
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info!

So, just to close the circle: since the large majority of my games will stay on the 1 TB HDD, connecting such HDD through USB will not make those games load slower than using the HDD as internal?
Not on pro. I had same loading speed for my none ssd drive external that I had when it was internal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/BiY0vNuu1eg?si=0nwmSHWeLkfcJJ__