Using an SD Card to play backups.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by GartimusPrime, Oct 8, 2018.

1. GartimusPrime
    OP

GartimusPrime GBAtemp Regular

Jul 3, 2011
    United States
    Ellsworth, Maine
    Hey guys and gals,
    I recently purchased a used Wii for a friend of mine that came with some games on a local barter swap site. I got it all soft modded and ready with USB Loader GX. Can then newer SanDisk micro SD cards be used for loading backups? Like the 128gb or 200gb?
    Some threads I have read said yes some say no. My friend is not a heavy gamer, she is mostly into games like animal crossing and the occasional Mario
    Thanks

x65943 likes this.
  2. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Not sure, official update says this
    • The Wii console can now use SDHC (SD High Capacity) Cards with a maximum of 32GB of storage. Games and channels which read from or save to SD Cards will continue to support only SD Cards.
    https://en-americas-support.nintend...2TWR0alJMTk9Ma0hqVTV1eDV5Vk5vWktUbGclMjElMjE=

3. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    This will take a while... FIRM 4.3 can support cards of different sizes than 4.2 but it lacks region free support. So from 4.2 you can only use 2GB (Non-SDHC Cards) and below. In 4.3 I've used a 4GB and an 8GB fine and dandy. This firmware problem is the real limit. Also if you choose to load them to a USB drive instead (leaving the SD for Homebrew apps and classic games) the drive has to be a HDD, for some reason flash drives fail to load games consistently through USB loaders. (Most likely to do with file fragmentation like PS2 ISO loading on a hacked PS3, games had to be fragment free on solid-memory sticks.

4. GartimusPrime
    OP

Jul 3, 2011
    United States
    Ellsworth, Maine
    I saw that but there are some gba temp threads that say some people have been using SD cards of larger size for back ups. I just wanted to be sure before I have them spend money on one.

5. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
  6. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    I don't think the official Nintendo support applies when it comes to homebrew....

GartimusPrime and Ryccardo like this.
  7. fatherjack

fatherjack GBAtemp Fan

Jul 3, 2007
    Still Here
    OP:
    you can use larger cards - they just need to be formatted to a usable filesystem, either fat32 or NTFS
    USB Loader GX wont play backups from SD - use wiiflow or config USB loader.

Ryccardo and x65943 like this.
  8. GartimusPrime
    OP

Jul 3, 2011
    United States
    Ellsworth, Maine
    Then my other question w
    Thanks! What about the newer WD 4tb My books?
    I found this one on Amazon I can afford.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LQQHL4E#Ask

9. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    4TB is overkill. U could probably fit most of the wii games ever made on a 1TB and still have room left over for roms and GC games and emulated Nands, etc

Edit :
    You might find this helpful
    https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List

Not sure if it will have the latest hardware in the list though

Last edited by XFlak, Oct 8, 2018
  10. GartimusPrime
    OP

Jul 3, 2011
    United States
    Ellsworth, Maine
    I know it's Overkill but it's on sale and I will format it to fat32 and store some other things on it as well. Was just curious if it would work or not. I have my music as well to put on there and I like knowing that if I want to add anything else I can.