Hacking Using a keyboard as a controller replacement.

PokemonMaster314159

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been wondering if a normal keyboard will work instead of a wiimote to play games. From what I found a wireless keyboard can be plugged in to the wii, and I want to know if there is a way to use a keyboard to play games on wii. I am trying to play Mario Kart Wii with a keyboard (just prefer using keyboard, don't ask why) and I need to know if it is possible outside of Dolphin emulators.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it technically feasible? Sure.

Am I aware of any existing either plugins, firmware hacks or game hacks to allow it for you here? No. We barely have anything to allow various games to be controlled with a GC controller that were not originally geared for it and that is a far simpler ask. The wii setup is a bit primitive compared to the likes of the 360 (where there were patches to do what you want) but it could still be done.
My only hesitation is I don't know if any adapters exist that you might be able to buy/build to fake a nunchuck or a wiimote itself and thus get in that way*. Other consoles saw such things but they had a bigger push for it.

*if you wanted to buy a cheap wiimote somewhere and slice it up you could make a fairly simple mod that way without much in the way of advanced skills (depending upon what you want to do to the keyboard you might do well to interface it with something like https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_PS2Keyboard.html but that would be download and go).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto