• Views 19,527
  • Replies 67
  • Likes 13

whateverg1012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New something like this would happen so I bought a launch model switch. At launch new 3DS XL models were IPS and then they switched to TN later, Switch situation doesn't seem as bad but still, the fact there is burn in issues on a LCD screen in 2018 is sad.

Getting launch models is the way to go for Nintendo if you want the best quality.

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New something like this would happen so I bought a launch model switch. At launch new 3DS XL models were IPS and then they switched to TN later, Switch situation doesn't seem as bad but still, the fact there is burn in issues on a LCD screen in 2018 is sad.

Getting launch models is the way to go for Nintendo if you want the best quality.
its not burn in if it goes away
you "new" nothing

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't burn-in normally less visible than that and not a bright red color.
What on the Switch even displays a pattern on the left side like that for extended periods of time?
Doesn't look like any burn-in I've ever seen.

I agree. I don't think that is even image retention or burn in. Unless that's what the HLB screen looks like on the left side. I don't know as I don't have a Switch and haven't watched any video. But it doesn't even look like either of the two to me.

whateverg1012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not burn in if it goes away
you "new" nothing

Later screens use the cheaper Sharp panels instead of the Japan Display Inc. screens, and it seems that the new screens are the ones having these problems. Nintendo nerfing their later hardware is nothing new and they are doing it again as I correctly predicted.

I got my switch a week or so after it came out, how are we able to tell if our screens are good or cheap? Or is it impossible without taking it apart and checking screen models and such?

If you bought it that early you should be fine.

Last edited by whateverg1012,

Astoria

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Can anybody explain how a software fix can prevent burn-in? (without changing brightness or moving colors on the screen)

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's just a one man's opinion and crappy could mean anything.
If you say so, crappy lcd screens causing burn ins are a fact tho and cheaper tv's that used cheaper lcd panels suffered from this compared to more expensive LCD screens. Plus it is as already stated in this topic that later revisions used a cheaper LCD screen then the ones sold at launch

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Later screens use the cheaper Sharp panels instead of the Japan Display Inc. screens

This intrigued me--

image001.png

"...The above numbers are only estimates.
Edit 2: The above graph is all LCD screens being manufactured for Nintendo gaming systems.

Sharp does 3DS/2DS screens.
JDI, Innolux, AUO does Switch screens.

Edit: In case the above graph goes down, for 2016 it shows around 4 million screens produced from JDI, it estimates (for 2017) around 1-2 million screens produced from JDI, around 13 million from Innolux, and around 5-6 million from AU Optronics.

Japan Display Inc initially supplied LCD screens for the Nintendo Switch in 2016. But in 2017, Nintendo expanded LCD suppliers for the Nintendo Switch by having Taiwanese companies Innolux and AU Optronics to manufacture LCD screens for the Nintendo Switch...."

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...o-longer-major-lcd-supplier-for-switch.15184/

There's a Wall Street Journal article backing this up.

For us, I imagine the "not-now-but-right-now"-answer would be: estimate when your Switch was manufactured (with that Firmware by serial thread....or just look at your mfc. date) and hope for the best.

Reactions: whateverg1012

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, I think i'm one too