Usenet service provider advice

2cb2ct7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,

Looking to find a good usenet service provider... My main concerns are unlimited downloads and reasonable retention times to the binary newsgroups. I'd like anyone to recommend a decent provider that has this sort of plan for under US$20 per month.

I am currently looking at:

Newshosting (19.95)
FlashNewsGroups (13.95)
UseNetServer (14.95)
NewsGuy (19.95)

I am currently with GigaNews and very happy with them, just looking for something a little bit cheaper...

(Sorry if this somehow violates any GBATemp rules. Please delete if this is the case, mods
smile.gif
)

Empyre

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dsbrew.com
XP
Country
I use Easynews, its $9.99 for 20GB so it doesn't come under your 'unlimited' criteria but I use them primarily for the excellent retention (120+ days) and the awesome web interface. I can download from there while I'm at work, without a Usenet reader, through the proxy and the firewall. I just select the parts I want and tell it to zip them up, then I just download a zip file. You get thumbnails for images and movies, can import nzb files, they have a global search that spans groups and its blindingly fast. on the nntp side, there allow as many simultanious connections as you want, they have multiple pops around the world and I can max out my 20mbps connection with no problem at all.

I have it set up so that as I hit the 20GB limit they automatically take another 9.99 and give me another 20gb. I usually only do that once or twice a month (slow months I wont renew at all) so the monthly cost for me is between 9.99 and 19.98, sometimes rising to 29.97 if theres a lot I want in a month.

Edit:
I used to use usenet a lot more than I do now but torrent and ed2k have covered pretty much all the popular stuff and its just the 0day or rare stuff I get from usenet now.

DS64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to say Giganews but looks like you already have em, like the 2nd poster above I also would recommend easynews, love their web interface and their AutoRAR feature. However right now I use my ISP's usenet, its slower but always has the latest releases and its free with my internet connection.

Xcursion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I use usenetserver.com and get their 3 month package since it is just a bit cheaper. I felt it was the best offer I could find since I download quite a bit and don't feel like paying for a specific amount of bandwidth.

2cb2ct7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all the help! I think I will suspend my giganews account and go for the trial at usenetserver.com.

How do you find the speed/service there, xcursion?

Thanks for that link iamwhoiam. I have seen that ng guide. What I was after was personal opinion about some of the less popular usenet providers.

chewy!

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
...However right now I use my ISP's usenet, its slower but always has the latest releases and its free with my internet connection.

Who are you using that is slow DS64? My ISP (Time Warner Cable -Roadrunner) outsources their news services to Newshosting, as far as I can tell. Retention and speeds are great (consitently 600K). I always feel lucky when I see these threads about having to fork out more money for premium usenet services. So yeah, anyway, if you can find an ISP that has quality usenet services, I'd say go that route. It sure beats the hell out of having to pay twice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.