Hardware use a gba screen on a gba sp

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you SHOULD be able to.

Yesterday when I was raiding that Circuit City deal I came across a guy near my age with a kid. We got to talkin as he saw my Zelda shirt, and it came up that he had this 'nes' style SP and then also got one of those new brighter SPs. Well he got sneaky and used a triwing bit and swapped the two SP's screens so his NES one is very bright like the DS/Micro. Basically the screen is attached with a very small twisted ribbon cable with a small plug. I'm going to guess the same size and plugged jack screen sits in an old GBA so I'd give it a shot.

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes you SHOULD be able to.

Yesterday when I was raiding that Circuit City deal I came across a guy near my age with a kid. We got to talkin as he saw my Zelda shirt, and it came up that he had this 'nes' style SP and then also got one of those new brighter SPs. Well he got sneaky and used a triwing bit and swapped the two SP's screens so his NES one is very bright like the DS/Micro. Basically the screen is attached with a very small twisted ribbon cable with a small plug. I'm going to guess the same size and plugged jack screen sits in an old GBA so I'd give it a shot.
Can you still switch between two brightness setting after the switch?

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell if I know.
wink.gif

I imagine it would really depend how the switch is relayed to the screen and all that. On the SP the button was simple ON/OFF for the backlight, so if that button switch setup was between the power relay from the battery to the screen then yes. But if it was the screen itself that has the on/off built into it then I'd assume not right?

dude1

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
even if i hear the new "brighter" sp is brighter because its backlit where my old one was the original front lit sp at least ive been told its front lit
anyone else have a idea if this will work

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The frontlighting is actually attached to the GBA SP's LCD. I don't think you are able to seperate the two and put that onto the original GBA screen. Also the power the LCD consumes would logically be less if the frontlighting doesn't have it's own wiring for power -- and then couldn't be swapped anyway because of a change in ribbon design. Take a look at this shop to see how different the LCDs are in design. Obviously the cable design is so drastically changed that you wouldn't be able to get it to reach to the LCD connector.

Edit: If you look at this pic you can see that the backlighting is built into the LCD so it can't be attached to an original GBA's LCD. It looks like the ribbon cable goes directly into an LCD power inverter (used to control the backlighting of the LCD). This leads me to think there is a different pinout that wouldn't work even if you could get the cable to reach.

So in short: no, it won't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ