Homebrew USB vs SD

DigitalSquirrel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, is USB or SD supposed to load faster? Cause my 2.0 HDD is a lot slower at loading from emulators, but I run backups from USBloader just fine,

K

KnarfX2

I think SD card is faster due to more time being spent on it (More time working on it's compatibility). I'm probably wrong though.

emupaul

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
toshiba32gig16gigsdhc.jpg

nano351

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the code for sd card reading is already better progressed than usb but usb hdd's have the potential to be much faster than SD cards. since SD cards top out at like 20 MB/s and usb 2.0 can reach 480 Mb/s which is 3 times faster than an sd card.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most emulators do NOT use CIOS for USB2.0 support. The vast majority still use the USB 1.1 built into the regular wii IOS. That is why USB is slower than SD in almost all cases.

nano351

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well that would explain the problem. usb 1.1 can only go up to 1.5 MB/s D: hopefully more programs will start using the usb 2.0 cios although i was looking at the wiibrew wiki and it only seems to be able to reach read speeds of like 4 MB/s

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY