[USB THREAD] Splitoon! (well, basically splitters)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Jaggent360, May 25, 2015.

1. Jaggent360
    OP

Jaggent360 GBATemps very own Punished "Venom" Snake

Apr 4, 2015
    Böllnas
    While helping out a dude with a hdd on the WiiU (Y cable, we've all been there ;) )
    I thought, can we use usb splitters/hubs?
    If I use a Y cable HDD, and some kind of thing on the front, you dont have a place to plug in the GameCube controller hub. Cmon, NO GC No Smash! (Am I right?)
    SO! Nintendo! IF you are reading (or a employee) this, add hub support if not present.
    CODERS! Make a addon for eshop or a CFW or whatever to support it!
    Is there a way tho?

2. Quincy

Quincy Your own personal guitarist :3

Nov 13, 2008
    Netherlands
    Your house, robbing your stuff
    You can do it yourself right now! All you have to do is understand IOSU, write an exploit, give yourself elevated privileges and then you just write a plugin. Easy as cake right?

For real tho, I think USB automatically has support for hubs, with each port having usually 15 orso IRQs when talking b Dout PCs. If they coded their USB support using standard USB2.0 guidelines this should not be a problem, not counting power supply. Do not expect USBHDDs to work off a hub though without external power!

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If you have a powered hub you can use it for power and plug the power end of the Y-cable into the hub.
    I think the GameCube hub works with only one plug as well, only rumble won't work.

4. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    You are in no way required to plug the USB HDD or the GC adapter power USBs into the Wii U. They can be plugged into any USB power source. A powered USB hub, or any USB power adapter will work. At least any one with reasonable power output. The ones designed to charge bluetooth headsets are pretty low.

thorasgar likes this.
  5. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    This is awesome to know. So you can have 2 hard drives and 2 GC adapters plugged in at the same time if you power them off a 6 port USB charging dock and still be able to charge a couple of WUPCs.

I have this one from Amazon for the phones and 3DSs, will have to pick up another.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LMIA9L4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6. Jaggent360
    OP

Jaggent360 GBATemps very own Punished "Venom" Snake

Apr 4, 2015
    Böllnas
    Nice. Thanks. Didn't know there was hub support. Hah