Hacking USB Loaders have started crashing

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use USB loader GX, and it has worked fine (more or less) for years. However, every game I try to play in it now eventually crashes, even games that I have played for hours on end just fine before.

All of them crash in exactly the same way too: system completely locks up, screen freezes, and the same note plays (The music that was currently playing is not what freezes, the note is different than the music that was playing). WHEN the crashes happen however are random, it can happen in a few seconds or half an hour into the game. (Which is making it a pain to diagnose)

Thinking it might be USB Loader GX since it recently had a massive update, I tried Configurable Loader, or whatever its called, the exact same thing happened. So I don't think its the USB Loader, and I have played some of these games for hours before and installed them years ago so I don't think its the data installed to my HDD either. I guess this either means my HDD is somehow failing, my USB cord is damaged, or its my CIOS files. I am betting its CIOS, but I have all my CIOS files updated to the latest version and I use DOP-MII to keep all of my IOS files up to date.

I tried switching USB Loader GX from CIOS249 to CIOS222 to see if that would help, but this time it wasn't crashing for either CIOS 249 or 222 (as I said, the time it takes until it crashes is random).

Has anyone ever experienced this before? Knows what could be causing it? Knows of any issues with current CIOS/homebrew related to USB loading? Or even knows how I can go about troubleshooting a problem that randomly has started appearing now?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be your games are corrupted somehow? Or the HDD is failing? I've had some corrupted games randomly before, but they just failed to launch at all.

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can't be a corrupted game, because the crashes are at random locations, many times when nothing is being loaded.

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bazamuffin said:
Maybe you have a duff lead or the HDD is failing. Have you ran diskcheck and defrag'd it?

I have no idea what you mean by "duff lead" but as for diskcheck, its formatted as WBFS, I am not aware of any disk maintenance tools which run on WBFS formatted partitions.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Cyber Akuma said:
bazamuffin said:
Maybe you have a duff lead or the HDD is failing. Have you ran diskcheck and defrag'd it?

I have no idea what you mean by "duff lead" but as for diskcheck, its formatted as WBFS, I am not aware of any disk maintenance tools which run on WBFS formatted partitions.

USB lead might be knack'd. As Blade suggest, reformat to FAT32 as you can do diskcheck/defrag if you encounter problems. Even if it turns out to be the lead FAT32 is a way better option than WBFS

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bazamuffin said:
USB lead might be knack'd. As Blade suggest, reformat to FAT32 as you can do diskcheck/defrag if you encounter problems. Even if it turns out to be the lead FAT32 is a way better option than WBFS

Oh, the USB port and cables are fine.

As for using FAT32, thats crazy. On top of it being massively obsolete and prove to errors and corruption on large partitions, it has a max filesize of 4GB, there is no reason to use its, its why everyone wants NTFS support. I only have a 1GB FAT16 partition on the drive to store all of the HDloader's files.

Actually though, I have been performing some tests and I believe I found the problem and how to work around it, however, I have no idea why this is happening in the first place and was wondering if anyone here had some insights on it.

It appears to be CIOS249 (all my IOS and CIOS files are up to date). Any game run under CIOS249 would eventually crash, sometimes in a few minutes, sometimes in an hour or two, but it did crash.

I never got a crash when running them under CIOS222. The ultimate test happened just now, I fell asleep while testing, and when I woke up several hours later the game was still running fine.

What confuses me however is why CIOS249 is doing this now when it never did this before, and why only I am expirencing this. Surely if this is an issue with the CIOS others would have expirenced it too woulden't they? The fact that it happened to every USB loader I tried is even more jarring. Is this only happening to me? And if so, any ideas why? Especially when CIOS249 worked fine before?

I haven't tried loadering games under other CIOS files yet.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Cyber Akuma said:
bazamuffin said:

As for using FAT32, thats crazy. On top of it being massively obsolete and prove to errors and corruption on large partitions, it has a max filesize of 4GB,
it's the other way around wbfs is becoming obsolete
laugh.gif

fat32 is more stable and when used with a proper loader like wiiflow it out does wbfs anyday. as for the 4gb limit i guess you've never heard of wii backup manager it splits the files into 4gb wbfs files so they work on fat32
tongue.gif

apparently you havn't been keeping up with the wii scene if you had you'd know that 95% of the time now peeps will choose fat32 for their loaders the remaining 5% are just clueless or refuse to change cos they are too lazy to re-format
rofl2.gif

--- END OF LINE ---

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah search Google