1. DvDrmann

DvDrmann Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Well i've tried to get my Seagate 1TB to get beyond the [ ret= -1 ] error all evening.
    At first i thought that the Loader couldn't read such a large drive after reading a few posts about the 500ish limit of the loader. So i WBFS formatted it with Maschell's GUI and even transferred a couple ISO's. (Great GUI btw. Maschell)
    Still no luck with the loader. Then tried partitioning the drive to around 450g but no go.
    I also added cIOS USB2 to the Wii but no luck there either.
    Glad you got yours working BIG MOE.
    I just hope that a future revision to the loader might free up some of these HDDs

btw, i do have an older 40g HDD sitting around and that worked an i had success transferring a couple of games using the Wii itself.
    So the loader works great if you have the right USB device.
    Good luck everyone.

my 2p. [​IMG]

2. tweak201

tweak201 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    My 32gb Kingston dt100 usb key doesn't work, unless i swap it with a compatible drive and then swap it back, but then its only able to work once without getting ret=-1 after resetting.Swapping after reset freezes. The PC recognizes the drive and files on it. I just wanted to share something. It had about 25mb unallocated space before the first partition when I loaded it up in disk management. I used [email protected] to format it and only then was it compatible by swapping. when I swap and re-format, it says theres 3 unreadable partitions except for the main one. I had a similar problem with a no name 1gb key. The funny thing is that both these keys don't work with bartPE or xp usb . Could the ret=-1 error be caused by unallocated or hidden partitions before the main one ?

3. superman101

superman101 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    would NAS hard drives work because i wanted an Iomega 500GB Home Media Network Hard Drive.
    I was going to network it, attach it to my xbox 360 and my wii at the same time, is that even possible,
    if anyone could get me any info thatd be great

Edit: i also found a couple more i wanted to check

Buffalo DriveStation Turbo 1TB USB 2.0 7200 RPM External Hard Drive - HD-CE1.0TU2
    SimpleTech SIMPLE DRIVE Hard Drive - FV-U35/500
    I also think there is a NAS WD drive, could anyone with one check that, ty
    and i think thats it

4. tonybologna

tonybologna GO VOLS!

United States
    I have found some pretty good prices on several USB drives. However, until more HDD's are added then I may not take the chance. It's too risky to buy over the net with shipping charges & then take a chance on one not working. On the other hand, it may take a good while for a bigger HDD compatibility list to get done. I'm up in the air on what to do really. I may just go ahead & get one that's already confirmed working.

Anybody have one they'd like to sell me for a good price? [​IMG]

5. DvDrmann

DvDrmann Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Actually, the one i had working in my above post wasn't a 40g but a 60g. It is a Maxtor.
    It was recognized immediately, formatted no problem and the games i tried were SSBB and Kung Fu Panda.
    Dumped and played with no issues. If you want to get trying this i'd recommend a smaller Maxtor m8.
    I myself would like to see larger drives more compatible too but until then, this works.

6. Beego

Beego Newbie
    Newcomer

I bought a IDE/SATA to USB cable and have been using that for a variety of different HDs.. They all work..

I have used: a 250 GB SEAGATE.. A 20 GB (2,5 inch drive) WD.. And a 200 GB WD.. With the cable.
    Its a Digitus USB highspeed to SATA/IDE adapter cable set.. Their homepage is www.digitus.info ...

Ohh and I used my WD mybook 1 TB essential edition.. That worked as well.. Recognized 950 GB..

7. BIG MOE

BIG MOE ๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™

Syria
    sorry it's not working for you !!! actually with the 1TB Seagate that's the only new one I had to by versus all other tested ones I had it laying around here and there [​IMG] , but the TB I just brought it new out of the box straight to plug on Vista Ultimate 64bit once drivers installed and it showed under my computer folder I right clicked on it and pressed format then choose exFAT and 32kb then clicked Quick format button and confirmed when it's done I repeated that a couple of times then open WBFS By Gibbed and ran initialize then added a couple of games power console off then plug USB port then power cord then start console go to USB Loader and the 1TB should up with two games clicked on one and played fine ,now at the same time this is the only peace on hand that get a lot of ret = -1 Errors and as I mentioned I have to unplug and reset all then it's back up again , so hope this will help for the moment till more test and bugs get fixed , peace [​IMG]

8. tonybologna

tonybologna GO VOLS!

United States
  9. tonybologna

tonybologna GO VOLS!

United States
    Guys! We need to add the model number of these compatible drives to the Wiki. What good does adding the drives if we have no model number to go by. Manufacture's make various model numbers of the same size storage drives. For example, when say 80GB Maxtor is listed as working for USB Loader. How in the heck are we supposed to know what 80 GB Maxtor model this is applying to. The same for other brands as well.

It just makes things harder to determine right now because the list is so short. For the Wiki to be reliable there needs to be specific information about the model number & not just the storage space size. I agree in the future there will be more drives become compatible but that's not the case right now. The Wiki is basically useless at this point with no specific information about models that work.

Just because an 80GB Western Digital works doesn't mean all 80GB WD's will work. Some have the specific names applied to the HDD(My PassPort,etc) but many others don't. You guys get my point about this? I'm not downing the Wiki but right now it's just not very reliable or valuable. Thanks! [​IMG]

10. Blue Zoidberg

Blue Zoidberg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Seagate 9W6044-500 External 160 HDD working flawlessly.
    Have a Wii partition and a ntfs partition, no slowdowns no dumps.

11. ChiliHead

ChiliHead Newbie
    Newcomer

Thailand
    Has anyone tried this with the Gigabyte Anvil enclosure? I like the idea of being able to slide it into the dock on my PC and having SATA speed.

12. Devvar

Devvar Advanced Member
    Newcomer

In the wiki, someone added that the Western Digital Elements 640gb external hdd doesn't work. I was planning it get that one. Can someone confirm if it does or doesn't work? And is it 2.5" or 3.5"?

13. mark.m.moran

mark.m.moran GBAtemp Regular

Hi there,
    I have a Maxtor Basics Portable 320GB drive. Has anyone had any luck with getting this to work?

Also, what about an 80GB 5G iPod?

Cheers,
    M

14. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

15. CapeCrusader

CapeCrusader Member
    Newcomer

United States
  16. lou_weed

lou_weed GBAtemp Regular

Iceland
    1. is the wii partition the first one or second ?

2. i'm thinking about buying a WD passport 320GB , has anyone run into any sort of problems with this one ?

17. Kempston

Kempston Advanced Member
    Newcomer

I have a 3.5" AKASA Enclosure (product code AK-ENP2USB-BKUK) with a 400gb Samsung IDE drive installed in it. It is split with a 60gb WBFS partition (set as primary) and the rest as FAT32 (set as logical) with the former assigned a drive letter for access from the WBFS guis. This is detected without a hitch from USB Loader 1.1 and every game I have tried so far works (about 6 in total).

18. rogerrr

rogerrr Member
    Newcomer

SORRY.
    GBATEMP WAS NOT WORKING WELL AND I TRIPLE POSTED BY MISTAKE

19. rogerrr

rogerrr Member
    Newcomer

SORRY.
    GBATEMP WAS NOT WORKING WELL AND I TRIPLE POSTED BY MISTAKE

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Compatibility, Loader,