Hacking USB Loader - HDD Compatibility

DvDrmann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BIG MOE said:
all Storage Devices I've tested so far were compatible with USB_Loader once format it with Fat32 and initialized with WBFS from Gibbed , the loader will list the games and load it with no problem , Starting from 2GB $ony Stick and just finished testing Seagate 1TB with no problems at all , most common Error you might run into will be [ ret= -1 ] and this can be solved by shutting down the Console and unplug the Storage Device from the Console and the Power Cord if applicable then reconnect again and fire the console up and the Error will be gone
wink.gif
Enjoy
Well i've tried to get my Seagate 1TB to get beyond the [ ret= -1 ] error all evening.
At first i thought that the Loader couldn't read such a large drive after reading a few posts about the 500ish limit of the loader. So i WBFS formatted it with Maschell's GUI and even transferred a couple ISO's. (Great GUI btw. Maschell)
Still no luck with the loader. Then tried partitioning the drive to around 450g but no go.
I also added cIOS USB2 to the Wii but no luck there either.
Glad you got yours working BIG MOE.
I just hope that a future revision to the loader might free up some of these HDDs

btw, i do have an older 40g HDD sitting around and that worked an i had success transferring a couple of games using the Wii itself.
So the loader works great if you have the right USB device.
Good luck everyone.

my 2p.
wink.gif

tweak201

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 32gb Kingston dt100 usb key doesn't work, unless i swap it with a compatible drive and then swap it back, but then its only able to work once without getting ret=-1 after resetting.Swapping after reset freezes. The PC recognizes the drive and files on it. I just wanted to share something. It had about 25mb unallocated space before the first partition when I loaded it up in disk management. I used Active@killdisk to format it and only then was it compatible by swapping. when I swap and re-format, it says theres 3 unreadable partitions except for the main one. I had a similar problem with a no name 1gb key. The funny thing is that both these keys don't work with bartPE or xp usb . Could the ret=-1 error be caused by unallocated or hidden partitions before the main one ?

superman101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would NAS hard drives work because i wanted an Iomega 500GB Home Media Network Hard Drive.
I was going to network it, attach it to my xbox 360 and my wii at the same time, is that even possible,
if anyone could get me any info thatd be great

Edit: i also found a couple more i wanted to check

Buffalo DriveStation Turbo 1TB USB 2.0 7200 RPM External Hard Drive - HD-CE1.0TU2
SimpleTech SIMPLE DRIVE Hard Drive - FV-U35/500
I also think there is a NAS WD drive, could anyone with one check that, ty
and i think thats it

tonybologna

GO VOLS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have found some pretty good prices on several USB drives. However, until more HDD's are added then I may not take the chance. It's too risky to buy over the net with shipping charges & then take a chance on one not working. On the other hand, it may take a good while for a bigger HDD compatibility list to get done. I'm up in the air on what to do really. I may just go ahead & get one that's already confirmed working.

Anybody have one they'd like to sell me for a good price?
wink2.gif

DvDrmann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tonybologna said:
... I may just go ahead & get one that's already confirmed working....
Actually, the one i had working in my above post wasn't a 40g but a 60g. It is a Maxtor.
It was recognized immediately, formatted no problem and the games i tried were SSBB and Kung Fu Panda.
Dumped and played with no issues. If you want to get trying this i'd recommend a smaller Maxtor m8.
I myself would like to see larger drives more compatible too but until then, this works.

Beego

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a IDE/SATA to USB cable and have been using that for a variety of different HDs.. They all work..

I have used: a 250 GB SEAGATE.. A 20 GB (2,5 inch drive) WD.. And a 200 GB WD.. With the cable.
Its a Digitus USB highspeed to SATA/IDE adapter cable set.. Their homepage is www.digitus.info ...

Ohh and I used my WD mybook 1 TB essential edition.. That worked as well.. Recognized 950 GB..

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
DvDrmann said:
BIG MOE said:
all Storage Devices I've tested so far were compatible with USB_Loader once format it with Fat32 and initialized with WBFS from Gibbed , the loader will list the games and load it with no problem , Starting from 2GB $ony Stick and just finished testing Seagate 1TB with no problems at all , most common Error you might run into will be [ ret= -1 ] and this can be solved by shutting down the Console and unplug the Storage Device from the Console and the Power Cord if applicable then reconnect again and fire the console up and the Error will be gone
wink.gif
Enjoy
Well i've tried to get my Seagate 1TB to get beyond the [ ret= -1 ] error all evening.
At first i thought that the Loader couldn't read such a large drive after reading a few posts about the 500ish limit of the loader. So i WBFS formatted it with Maschell's GUI and even transferred a couple ISO's. (Great GUI btw. Maschell)
Still no luck with the loader. Then tried partitioning the drive to around 450g but no go.
I also added cIOS USB2 to the Wii but no luck there either.
Glad you got yours working BIG MOE.
I just hope that a future revision to the loader might free up some of these HDDs

btw, i do have an older 40g HDD sitting around and that worked an i had success transferring a couple of games using the Wii itself.
So the loader works great if you have the right USB device.
Good luck everyone.

my 2p.
wink.gif
sorry it's not working for you !!! actually with the 1TB Seagate that's the only new one I had to by versus all other tested ones I had it laying around here and there
wink.gif
, but the TB I just brought it new out of the box straight to plug on Vista Ultimate 64bit once drivers installed and it showed under my computer folder I right clicked on it and pressed format then choose exFAT and 32kb then clicked Quick format button and confirmed when it's done I repeated that a couple of times then open WBFS By Gibbed and ran initialize then added a couple of games power console off then plug USB port then power cord then start console go to USB Loader and the 1TB should up with two games clicked on one and played fine ,now at the same time this is the only peace on hand that get a lot of ret = -1 Errors and as I mentioned I have to unplug and reset all then it's back up again , so hope this will help for the moment till more test and bugs get fixed , peace
wink.gif

tonybologna

GO VOLS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys! We need to add the model number of these compatible drives to the Wiki. What good does adding the drives if we have no model number to go by. Manufacture's make various model numbers of the same size storage drives. For example, when say 80GB Maxtor is listed as working for USB Loader. How in the heck are we supposed to know what 80 GB Maxtor model this is applying to. The same for other brands as well.

It just makes things harder to determine right now because the list is so short. For the Wiki to be reliable there needs to be specific information about the model number & not just the storage space size. I agree in the future there will be more drives become compatible but that's not the case right now. The Wiki is basically useless at this point with no specific information about models that work.

Just because an 80GB Western Digital works doesn't mean all 80GB WD's will work. Some have the specific names applied to the HDD(My PassPort,etc) but many others don't. You guys get my point about this? I'm not downing the Wiki but right now it's just not very reliable or valuable. Thanks!
rolleyes.gif

Devvar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In the wiki, someone added that the Western Digital Elements 640gb external hdd doesn't work. I was planning it get that one. Can someone confirm if it does or doesn't work? And is it 2.5" or 3.5"?

mark.m.moran

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there,
I have a Maxtor Basics Portable 320GB drive. Has anyone had any luck with getting this to work?

Also, what about an 80GB 5G iPod?

Cheers,
M

lou_weed

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Blue Zoidberg said:
Seagate 9W6044-500 External 160 HDD working flawlessly.
Have a Wii partition and a ntfs partition, no slowdowns no dumps.

1. is the wii partition the first one or second ?

2. i'm thinking about buying a WD passport 320GB , has anyone run into any sort of problems with this one ?

Kempston

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a 3.5" AKASA Enclosure (product code AK-ENP2USB-BKUK) with a 400gb Samsung IDE drive installed in it. It is split with a 60gb WBFS partition (set as primary) and the rest as FAT32 (set as logical) with the former assigned a drive letter for access from the WBFS guis. This is detected without a hitch from USB Loader 1.1 and every game I have tried so far works (about 6 in total).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://ancientelectronics.wordpress.com/2022/03/13/the-abit-bp6-motherboard-dual-cpu-processing-...