Hacking USB Loader - HDD Compatibility

rogerrr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i just got to take some time to recommend my external hdd im using.

It is a completely silent fanless operation drive, cannot here any noise from it , when running, or in powersave mode.

It looks great, and very sleek.

Also, its 500gb for £53 . Yes it needs power supply, but it works with no problems - major or minor!.

I love the fact that it has a power save mode, because say if i go back to my home screen, it automatically will turn off into sleep, and only use very low power.

It is available in the uk for such a low price from amazon/argos. (In argos, it even came with free 2gb flash drive)

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products...er-saving-mode/

theres the official website.

Hope you enjoy it if you get one.

*subliminal advertising over*
rofl2.gif

ppmeis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I use Lacie Desktop Hard Disc 1Tb Poulton and runs perfectly
smile.gif
. No issues and I use all entire HDD size!

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't seen this problem yet (and if it's in this thread already, I apologize as I missed it) but has anybody had an issue where you boot into the loader and nothing apperas in the status window? No errors, just a blank window and you can't do anything except use the Wiimote power button to power down.

It doesn't mattter if it's pre-formatted to WBFS with any one of a number of GUIs/command line (they all work and you can copy games over in Windows) but nothing shows up in the loader and if you boot from a channel to a game it just hangs (though, again, you can power down via the Wiimote power button).

I've tried various fixes like allowing the drive time to spool up before plugging in; the power on/off 'trick'; pluggin in the drive before/after powering up hte Wii; etc. but it simply doesn't seem to exist as far as the Wii is concerned.

This is on an IOMEGA 500GB MDHD500UE. (My 8GB SanDisk Cruzer works flawlessly, however.)

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ergo said:
I haven't seen this problem yet (and if it's in this thread already, I apologize as I missed it) but has anybody had an issue where you boot into the loader and nothing apperas in the status window? No errors, just a blank window and you can't do anything except use the Wiimote power button to power down.
I have that same problem with my SanDisk Cruzer Micro 1GB. Did you notice if your HDD's activity light was going whacko? My SanDisk USB stick's light was going crazy.
I too tried just about everything with it, swapped USB ports, deleted and created a blank partition, formatted on PC to WBFS... no go.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shtonkalot said:
Ergo said:
I have that same problem with my SanDisk Cruzer Micro 1GB. Did you notice if your HDD's activity light was going whacko? My SanDisk USB stick's light was going crazy.
I too tried just about everything with it, swapped USB ports, deleted and created a blank partition, formatted on PC to WBFS... no go.

Actually, now that you mention it, the activity light on the drive goes out the moment the Loader boots up (same for trying to launch a channel from the sysmenu just as it would start the game from my USB stick).

Also, when I plug the drive back into the PC without first powering it down, I get an error in Windows saying the drive is malfunctioning (no matter what types of partitions I have: NTFS+WBFS; just WBFS; FAT32+WBFS), even though, technically, nothing happened when hooked up to the Wii. However, if I power down and up, the drive shows up just like it should (in Windows).

So, i guess, something is going wonky the moment the Wii tries to talk to the drive that also carries over to Windows prior to a power cycling.

tonybologna

GO VOLS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tonybologna said:
Check this out: http://www.akromo.com/ProductView.asp?ItemID=AE40643

Tell me this is too good to be true? I mean a USB 120GB HDD for $20? I read some reviews about this site & they all were pretty good. I know nothing about this site or drive though. Think it's a legit deal & drive? Thanks!
rolleyes.gif

I'd like an opinion on this drive please. I've posted this a couple times & nobody has expressed an opinion. Thanks!
rolleyes.gif

ChiliHead

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Kempston said:
I have a 3.5" AKASA Enclosure (product code AK-ENP2USB-BKUK) with a 400gb Samsung IDE drive installed in it. It is split with a 60gb WBFS partition (set as primary) and the rest as FAT32 (set as logical) with the former assigned a drive letter for access from the WBFS guis. This is detected without a hitch from USB Loader 1.1 and every game I have tried so far works (about 6 in total).
QUOTE(clivefrog @ Apr 7 2009, 10:48 AM) i have one of these and it works perfectly with my wd 750GB drive, 480GB is wbfs and the rest is ntfs
Added both of these to the Wiki.

User423

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Makes the "Western Digital My Passport Essential" some problems? Has anyone this drive? I want to be safe, before buying this. Also are there some problems? With MarioKart or some other Games? (making Spindown or not?)

/edit What about this? Its true that it makes Problems? Or is this another drive?: WD Passport Spindown Fix

Ok, I think it makes no problems.

tonybologna

GO VOLS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boy2048 said:
Makes the "Western Digital My Passport Essential" some problems? Has anyone this drive? I want to be safe, before buying this. Also are there some problems? With MarioKart or some other Games? (making Spindown or not?)

/edit What about this? Its true that it makes Problems? Or is this another drive?: WD Passport Spindown Fix

Ok, I think it makes no problems.

The Western Digital My Passport Essential edition(160GB) is listed as "Working" from the Wiki. However, the 80GB is listed as "Not Working". It looks like various editions of Western Digital 250GB drives are working. Thanks!
rolleyes.gif

tonybologna

GO VOLS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder if this drive would work: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptop-hard-drives...7-32865091.html

It's not listed yet but other SimpleTech drives are listed as working. I have found a great deal on this drive so please somebody confirm this drive works with USB Loader. Thanks! BTW, this is a lightweight & slick looking drive so I hope it works out.
rolleyes.gif

REALDEAL

Trophies
XP
Country
rogerrr said:
i just got to take some time to recommend my external hdd im using.

It is a completely silent fanless operation drive, cannot here any noise from it , when running, or in powersave mode.

It looks great, and very sleek.

Also, its 500gb for £53 . Yes it needs power supply, but it works with no problems - major or minor!.

I love the fact that it has a power save mode, because say if i go back to my home screen, it automatically will turn off into sleep, and only use very low power.

It is available in the uk for such a low price from amazon/argos. (In argos, it even came with free 2gb flash drive)

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products...er-saving-mode/

theres the official website.

Hope you enjoy it if you get one.

rofl2.gif
cheers m8 couldn't resist got one today working fine

also my ipod 40gig and kingston 16G datatraveller120 both work..............just gotta find time to fill the buff up
smile.gif

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Passport Essential 500GB and it works with the fix (meaning you have to take it apart and connect it to a computer via SATA).

The Seagate FreeAgent Go is about the same price and I think you can turn off the spindown using a Seagate supplied utility. Can anyone confirm? Does it require two USB ports or an external power source?

Devvar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone tell me if they've tried WD Elements 3.5" 640gb? I'm might get that one and create a 200gb WBFS partitions and a 420 FAT32 partition, I just want to know if it will work.

User423

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hdhacker said:
I have a Passport Essential 500GB and it works with the fix (meaning you have to take it apart and connect it to a computer via SATA).

The Seagate FreeAgent Go is about the same price and I think you can turn off the spindown using a Seagate supplied utility. Can anyone confirm? Does it require two USB ports or an external power source?

[Before saying something, sorry, I understand what you meant!]

I had read, that it only requieres 1-USB-Cable and is very quiet.
On the Compatibility List at the 320GB Version stays that:
QUOTEOnly works if the whole drive is formatted in FAT32 by a 3rd party app(Fat32Format), and then WBFS is installed from the pc as well. In order for the loader to see your partition, hook up the USB but leave the drive unplugged. Boot up the wii and plug in the drive in the HBC. The previously reported issue was incorrect, as long as you follow this process you can also connect the drive to a Vista pc to add/delete isos.
I don´t understand, what he mean. Can somebody explain?

/edit yeah, you can disable it, i found that at this video. He does not that, but you can see, that under "utilities" is the point "adjust sleep inteverall". I think it´s that? But, is that in the firmware saved, so when I´m formatting this is saved?
I would buy it, but I don´t understand this "Workaround" on the WikiPage.

Let me explain?

1. Format it with a 3rd tool to fat32
2. WBFS format on pc
3. I don´t understand that
rolleyes.gif
Must I do that everytime? And what I must do when I´m starting it over a Channel / GameShortcutChannel?
Also hook up in USB, but not in the drive? Then, when booting in the HBC, plug the cable in the drive? Is this only for a format or everytime? And I must this do for the PC too?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.