• Likes 48

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'd say that there are probably MANY users that actually prefer to have an image stretched all over their HDTVs and looking like crap instead of maintaining proportions (
IF that's what you meant...
yeah, that's what I meant, and I agree. I already saw few users wanting to use widescreen whatever the initial aspect ratio, just because they have widescreen TVs. Black bars seems to frightened a lot of people.

the gamecube doesn't really have that option, by that I mean the USBLoader is not responsible for switching the TV output before launching a game, it's only a setting stored into nincfg.bin, and nintendont is responsible for doing it ! (not the loader)
the "feature" option is not a setting, I added it there just for fun. I guess if I never added it, nobody would have asked about it because that's not an option, and would be stayed a nintendont feature.

If you want a Wii individual game option, I'll need to create an all new setting (global and individual) and actually change the TV output before exiting the loader and launching a game, meaning that it will do the same as you said above : "for instance I flip the switch on the settings EVERYTHING (VC, WW, Wii and even the loader itself) EVERYTHING becomes 4:3." except that it would be the loader doing it, and not really patching the game.
yeah, everything will be affected too, not just the game, and exiting the game will not revert it.
I don't want users to complain that the vWii is not using proper aspect ratio after exiting a game, that won't be possible to fix with the loader. (it should work if using the forwarder as the loader tries to set the proper ratio at launch).

@MaeseJesus
The loader's game list is sorted based on TitleID.
If it finds more games with the same titleID, only the first one is listed and the others are skipped (for example, if you have multiple partitions, the same game on all of them, and enable "multi-partition" option, only one game will be listed, no duplicates).
That's also how the loader is managing the individual game settings (linked to the titleID), so even if I allow duplicated entry to be listed, they would share the same settings (you can't for example set different emuNAND save, language, etc.)

I'm not sure it will work, but you can try this :
on your modded version, edit the TitleID in the filename (xxxx.wbfs) AND if you have it in the folder /monster hunter mod [HERE xxxxx]/

say your titleID is RMHE08, and you want your custom one to be RMHC08 (to match gametdb, and have proper covers in the loader... when someone provides one !) :

/wbfs/monster hunter tri [RMHE08]/RMHE08.wbfs

and
/wbfs/Monster hunter tri mod [RMHC08]/RMHC08.wbfs

Maybe, the loader will not check the titleID inside the ISO at launch and it will work as expected.
but, I think the loader is doing a check, so just try, but it might not work that easilly. You'll probably have to edit the TitleID in the ISO too (edit in hexeditor the 4 first bytes)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Maeson

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
the gamecube doesn't really have that option, by that I mean the USBLoader is not responsible for switching the TV output before launching a game, it's only a setting stored into nincfg.bin, and nintendont is responsible for doing it ! (not the loader)
Oh...... I think I get it now. The loader is just passing the arguments to Nintendont, and since Nintendont is a whole separate loader its able to use the AR set within the loader, and get back to "normal" when exiting...

the "feature" option is not a setting, I added it there just for fun. I guess if I never added it, nobody would have asked about it because that's not an option, and would be stayed a nintendont feature.
If you didn't implement it, I wouldv'e probably ask for something similar anyway :D

If you want a Wii individual game option, I'll need to create an all new setting (global and individual) and actually change the TV output before exiting the loader and launching a game, meaning that it will do the same as you said above : "for instance I flip the switch on the settings EVERYTHING (VC, WW, Wii and even the loader itself) EVERYTHING becomes 4:3." except that it would be the loader doing it, and not really patching the game.
yeah, everything will be affected too, not just the game, and exiting the game will not revert it.
I don't want users to complain that the vWii is not using proper aspect ratio after exiting a game, that won't be possible to fix with the loader. (it should work if using the forwarder as the loader tries to set the proper ratio at launch).
Yep, yep. Exactly what I got from your previous paragraph.... And I guess the aspect ratio option under "game settings" wouldn't work either since all it does is "tell" the game if it's 4:3 or 16:9 and since the "window" (for lack of a better word) is stuck at 16:9 it would stretch it anyway... Am I right? So basically what the option is "saying" is: either stretch it (16:9 "fake" content") or keep it square (4:3) but since the loader (and the entire vWii to be more precise) is set to 16:9 it'll stretch the image no matter what we choose there. Did I nailed it?

You'll probably have to edit the TitleID in the ISO too (edit in hexeditor the 4 first bytes)
Or, just use WiiBackupManager to rewrite the header like I suggested before ^_^

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if WiiBackupManager affects the Savegame's folder.
if it changes only the titleID in the header, that's good.
if it also edits the savegame's folder (I guess by editing the dol too), then he won't be able to share the same savegame with his unmodded game.

about the aspect ratio question, you are right.
unless the loader actually change the output before exiting the loader, it will always output to fullscreen, whether you choose 16:9 or 4:3 (it changes only an option in the VC to either change the pixel aspect ratio to look fine in widescreen).
Maybe if I can fix that aspect ratio option, it could already help a lot with VC problem. (games should add borders themselves, like for example Mario Party 8).

Though, I don't like Mario party 8's automatic 4:3 fix, as it's not using black borders but some static design which could burn the screen.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thank you both, Sideskroll and Cyan.

If I need to change the header of one of the copies, I guess both wouldn't load the same save file right? At least on Wii, pal games can only read pal save files; and ntsc games can only read ntsc files, so if you change RMHP08 to RMHC08 for example, that would lead the console to create a new save file instead of reading the same as RMHP08, isn't it? Of course, I have little knowledge in that matter.

If it works like that, I guess then I'll need to put each version in a different device, which isn't much of an issue.

EDIT:

I ended putting each version in a different device. I had a problem with USB Loader GX, freezing whenever I pushed A to "Begin the Game" in the Title Screen, which seems to be an issue since 2010 (seeing all the threads about how to fix it).

Because the USB Loader GX of today is quite different from the one 8 years ago, all those threads were to me pretty much useless, I redumped the game just in case, but I got the very exact result, which I expected as I've never had Clean Rip making a bad dump (of course, that could very well be ust my anecdotal experience). Thankfully I managed to fix it.

Tinkering with the options, I tried different things, but the one option that made a difference was making the game load with IOS 223 as it fixed the problem. In case someone needs this advice I'll wrote down what I did:

Select the game, then go to Settings, then enter Game Load, and there look for Game IOS, selecting it will make appear telephone-like button menu, erase whatever is written and just type 223.

Just for reference, I have d2x v10 52 beta, which is, If I'm well informed the best version right now, as 53 is buggy and not recommended.

Last edited by Maeson, , Reason: Wanted to add a solution to a freeze.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you both, Sideskroll and Cyan.

If I need to change the header of one of the copies, I guess both wouldn't load the same save file right? At least on Wii, pal games can only read pal save files; and ntsc games can only read ntsc files, so if you change RMHP08 to RMHC08 for example, that would lead the console to create a new save file instead of reading the same as RMHP08, isn't it? Of course, I have little knowledge in that matter.

If it works like that, I guess then I'll need to put each version in a different device, which isn't much of an issue.

Hmm, I'd also like to know if there's a way to change the header of a Wii game as well. I specifically want the Project Zero titles to be separate for the standard and undub versions. Is that possible?

MattNoack1231

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble changing settings with USB Loader GX. I have the latest update, yet each time I try to load a game, it freezes me on the game selection screen. I can move my pointer around and hit A on the various things, but they don't do the action they are supposed to. I tried going into the settings to change things, but once I got into the settings and changed something, I can't exit out, it keeps me there and does the same thing as when trying to load a game. I am using usb only and not sd.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hmm, I'd also like to know if there's a way to change the header of a Wii game as well. I specifically want the Project Zero titles to be separate for the standard and undub versions. Is that possible?
there are at least 4 ways to do it.

1. use gametdb's xml file and edit it to the name you want.
2. don't use gametdb, and set the title in the folder where you put the wbfs (/wbfs/your title you want here [TitleID6]/TitleID6.wbfs)
3. whether you use gametdb or not, rename the game's title inside USBLoaderGX interface (set the GUI > game window > rotating disc, then go to the game and display the rotating disc, click on it's title to rename)
4. set the option to read titles from ISO, and edit the ISO's header with a tool of hexeditor.

The easiest, fastest, and more stable method is the first one.

I'm having trouble changing settings with USB Loader GX. I have the latest update, yet each time I try to load a game, it freezes me on the game selection screen. I can move my pointer around and hit A on the various things, but they don't do the action they are supposed to. I tried going into the settings to change things, but once I got into the settings and changed something, I can't exit out, it keeps me there and does the same thing as when trying to load a game. I am using usb only and not sd.
Which "latest" ? there are a lot of "latest" version (stable, google, sourceforge, beta, internal, etc.)
please, provide the revision number you see on screen when you launch the loader. If you don't see any number, you are far from using the "latest". never use that word ! if I release a new version in 5 minutes, your post is now old and you don't really have the "latest" anymore.

What are you using ? Flash drive or HDD ?
Let me guess : Flash drive ! (they are not working, and always freezes)

If you are using a HDD, then the issue is maybe your SD card. verify the card is not write protected. It makes the loader VERY unstable.
Do not use multiple HDD at the same time, for the same reason.

you didn't provide any information (wii, vwii, version, cIOS version/base, hardware, partition type, etc.)

Last edited by Cyan,

Garflesaur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you have a full NAND dump ? (features > NAND dump > Full)
installing wad require a full dump first.

then, N64 games are known to have a lot of incompatibilities with the somple cIOS emuNAND mode, you'll need Neek method for most of them.

you might need to read this guide to help you generate and use emuNAND with neek method :
https://gbatemp.net/posts/6592730
Thanks very much for your advice Cyan. Sorry I took so long to reply.
I was indeed able to install after dumping the NAND. Unfortunately, after poring through the instructions behind your link, I think the whole neek thing might be beyond me. I tried using modmii but it won't connect to the internet to download the required files... and I have to admit, I'm a little reluctant to do anything that might screw with my existing setup. I guess I'll just have to settle for gc+wii backups on my wii for now.

Reactions: Cyan

MattNoack1231

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are at least 4 ways to do it.

1. use gametdb's xml file and edit it to the name you want.
2. don't use gametdb, and set the title in the folder where you put the wbfs (/wbfs/your title you want here [TitleID6]/TitleID6.wbfs)
3. whether you use gametdb or not, rename the game's title inside USBLoaderGX interface (set the GUI > game window > rotating disc, then go to the game and display the rotating disc, click on it's title to rename)
4. set the option to read titles from ISO, and edit the ISO's header with a tool of hexeditor.

The easiest, fastest, and more stable method is the first one.

Which "latest" ? there are a lot of "latest" version (stable, google, sourceforge, beta, internal, etc.)
please, provide the revision number you see on screen when you launch the loader. If you don't see any number, you are far from using the "latest". never use that word ! if I release a new version in 5 minutes, your post is now old and you don't really have the "latest" anymore.

What are you using ? Flash drive or HDD ?
Let me guess : Flash drive ! (they are not working, and always freezes)

If you are using a HDD, then the issue is maybe your SD card. verify the card is not write protected. It makes the loader VERY unstable.
Do not use multiple HDD at the same time, for the same reason.

you didn't provide any information (wii, vwii, version, cIOS version/base, hardware, partition type, etc.)
So sorry! I'm still very much new to this! I got the version off of sourceforge, I am using a USB flash drive(i think, it's 64 gb so could be hdd.) Not sure what you mean by version of CIos. My Wii is version 4.3(in North America), and partition I use is Fat32. I can't really find the revision type right now, as I am away from my Wii. I will gladly give what info I can when I am able to get on my Wii.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thank you for your reply.

So,I was right : your problem is because you are using a flash drive.

HDD is "hard Disc Drive", the big one with rotating magnetic plates.
Flash is like SD card, USB Stick, chipset, etc.

Flash have a lot of issues with Wii and WiiU, they usually freeze or are not compatible at all.
I suggest you use another one, or use an external hard drive instead.

Reactions: Glyptofane

MattNoack1231

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you for your reply.

So,I was right : your problem is because you are using a flash drive.

HDD is "hard Disc Drive", the big one with rotating magnetic plates.
Flash is like SD card, USB Stick, chipset, etc.

Flash have a lot of issues with Wii and WiiU, they usually freeze or are not compatible at all.
I suggest you use another one, or use an external hard drive instead.
I see, thank you so much! I'll save some money into getting an external to use.

Last edited by MattNoack1231,

Amontre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Is there a way for me to move back and forth from emunand to real nand using USB Loader GX ? It seem that i can't get Ocarina cheat to work with my games in emunand and i want to try using real nand.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way for me to move back and forth from emunand to real nand using USB Loader GX ? It seem that i can't get Ocarina cheat to work with my games in emunand and i want to try using real nand.

If you mean copying the titles, then no. You can dump the contents of your NAND to disc but you can't put it back. Why would you want to use the real NAND? It's only 512MB and not all of that is available even.

Amontre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
If you mean copying the titles, then no. You can dump the contents of your NAND to disc but you can't put it back. Why would you want to use the real NAND? It's only 512MB and not all of that is available even.

Some of my VC won't work unless using neek emunand, but Ocarina cheat won't work with neek ... so i thought i want to try load it from real nand.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of my VC won't work unless using neek emunand, but Ocarina cheat won't work with neek ... so i thought i want to try load it from real nand.

You could just install it to your real NAND instead with a WAD manager. I'm not sure if Ocarina works with real NAND either, though.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
to fix the Ocarina bug, you can try to change the way the channels are launched.
I can't guarantee that it will work, but you can try. Some users had improvements.

Settings > loader settings > channel mode : switch from Dol <->normal boot

if it fix ocarina, maybe I should put the other setting as default?
let me know your result.

Though, I think EmuNAND still has issue with Ocarina. When I tried myself, the addresses didn't match at all, like different memory block ! (instead of mem1 area, I found them located in mem2, probably due to cIOS way of redirecting NAND)
I think wiiflow has the fix, but I never had time to try/look at the sources.

Quinton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted this over on the Wii-U hacking board since this is technically a vWii issue and not a regular Wii issue, but am not having a ton of luck over there. I figured this thread might be better suited to asking about my issue since this is isolated as a USB Loader GX issue it seems:

So after a ton of configuring I recently managed to figure out how to get my vWii to utilize Nintendont and USB Loader GX together to play Gamecube titles. I ran into a few issues along the way, for my system I needed to change the USB Loader GX to force load into IOS 58 (which I am not sure if this is part of this issue, since it is normally default to IOS 249). This is because if it was on IOS 249 it would hang at "Initializing USB Device" and require a hard reset.

Anyway, I am now able to see both my Gamecube and Wii titles from USB Loader GX so it obviously detects and recognizes them. Gamecube titles load perfectly, but when I try to boot a Wii title it hangs at a black screen and requires a hard reboot.

I tried to tweak some of the individual game load settings such as forcing Wii games to load in NTSC480p as well as trying to load with both IOS 249, 250 (both require hard resets), and IOS 251 which doesn't crash the console but routes me back to the Wii home screen. No go for all of those options. I am at a loss. My version of USB Loader GX is the latest v3.0 1268 revision, I double checked that the cIOS is d2x-v10-beta52-vWii is installed properly doing multiple reinstalls (base 56 on 249, base 57 on 250, base 58 on 251). Both my Gamecube and Wii titles are stored on a single external hard drive that is being powered with a Y-Cable and formatted into FAT32. I am using .wbfs formatting for my Wii games (made sure they are clean/straight rips) and followed the stickied definitive vWii hacking guide to get everything set up the way it is.

Just last night I attempted to re-format my hard drive to see if it was a formatting issue, still no go. I also attempted formatting it with two partitions in case there was something weird about it not being able to read the one large partition properly, still no go. I'm currently back to my original setup of one 1TB partition on an external USB 3.0 Toshiba hard drive power by a Y-Cable since it doesn't have it's own power source, formatted to FAT32 formatting.

Any help would be much appreciated!

And since this info might help here's my System Check Information.

SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline Double_A R2-D2199
...runs on vIOS58 (rev 6432).
Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v609)
Drive date: 06.28.2011
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58
Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 606752334
Console Type: vWii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v0
Found 63 titles.
Found 35 IOS on this console. 0 of them are stubs.
vIOS9 (rev 1290): No Patches
vIOS12 (rev 782): No Patches
vIOS13 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS14 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS15 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS17 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS21 (rev 1295): No Patches
vIOS22 (rev 1550): No Patches
vIOS28 (rev 2063): No Patches
vIOS31 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS33 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS34 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS35 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS36 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS37 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS38 (rev 4380): No Patches
vIOS41 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS43 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS45 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS46 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS48 (rev 4380): No Patches
vIOS53 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS55 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS56 (rev 5918): No Patches
vIOS57 (rev 6175): No Patches
vIOS58 (rev 6432): USB 2.0
vIOS59 (rev 9249): No Patches
vIOS62 (rev 6942): No Patches
vIOS80 (rev 7200): No Patches
vIOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access
vIOS249[56] (rev 21010 Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): Trucha Bug NAND Access
vIOS250[57] (rev 21010 Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): Trucha Bug NAND Access
vIOS251[58] (rev 21010 Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): Trucha Bug NAND Access
vIOS512 (rev 7): No Patches
vIOS513 (rev 1): No Patches

Last edited by Quinton,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the Toshiba drive have built-in power management by any chance? I've heard of a lot of issues with those drives just spinning down on their own no matter what you do.

Quinton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the Toshiba drive have built-in power management by any chance? I've heard of a lot of issues with those drives just spinning down on their own no matter what you do.

How would I check this? I always heard that the spin down was an issue after long term playing, but wouldn't it not be an issue on an immediate boot up? I also have played Gamecube titles for a couple hours with no issues. I could test with a flash drive and see, but I recall trying that as well and running into the same problems.

OvOvO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
i have a few questions...

im out of storage and thinking about getting a second storage device for my wii ... will this be a problem ? i already have 12 games and dont want them deleted.

i heard people saying xenoblade chronicles needs to get split into 4 parts (2GB) but no one's mentioning to split it into 2 which makes more sense since the games is less than 8GB big. whats the deal ?

and do i need to play the metroid prime trilogy still from alt.dol. or is this issue fixed ? i saw some vidoes on youtube but they're old.

thanks in advance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof