USB Loader GX

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by cyrex, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    why launch the loader without an SD card or USB inserted? you'll miss the settings and the covers, and the games, and their official names, and everything in fact.
    I'm not even sure if the loader is stable without a way to save the setting file. It's not designed to skip the saving process at loader's exit.

All what left are the NAND channels.
    if you need the loader's channel to launch NAND channel... you don't need the loader at all. just launch the channels directly from system menu. Ok you can use gamecube controller or Classic controller while inside the loader, but you need the wiimote to launch the full channel so I don't think it's making sense. Maybe it's only to launch the channels with some settings like forced video mode (but without an SD or usb, the settings are useless). you'd better just keep an external device so you don't have to re-set the settings manually before launching a NAND channel.

if you want to remove the SD but still have an USB connected, then the forwarder is fine. just copy everything from SD to usb1:/apps/ folder
    SD has priority if present. if not inserted, USB will be used, checking partition 1 to 8.

if you really really want a full channel, you can inject the boot.dol into UNEO forwarder's wad. but you'll lose the ability to easily update.
    injecting into ULNR will not be stable, as the boot.dol will not have hardcoded titleID of the full channel, which is done at compiling time.

Last edited by Cyan, Mar 6, 2018
    lordelan and eipok like this.
  2. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Albi
    [​IMG]
    I didn't know that.
    We can launch homebrew from a usb key too?

3. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Yeah, even from HBC.

4. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    HBC will switch to USB if there's no SD card inserted.
    but you can force HBC to load from SD or USB manually by pressing 1 (or 2) on the wiimote to display the HBC settings.

most forwarders (for all other homebrew) are always looking at both SD and USB.
    usually hardcoded path :
    sd:/apps/<app name>/boot.dol
    if not found, then it tries
    usb:/apps/<app name>/boot.dol

USBLoaderGX forwarder is even trying more than one USB partition.

eipok and lordelan like this.
  5. Joyer7319

Joyer7319 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2017
    United States
    New York
    I have a save file for Simpsons Hit and Run. Where can I install this too? I can't find it on the sd or USB. GameCube games are on USB.
    Thanks!

6. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Hi I was wondering if anyone here with cheating knowledge could help me. I've got a GPF file i'd like to run a game with. I understand that this would normally be with geckos, but how I would I go about using it with usbloader gx? Does usbloader have support for GPF files?

I saw it has ocarina support but unsure if they are related or what the difference is. Thanks

7. JacobM

JacobM GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2017
    United States
    I just came here to ask the same question lol. @Cyan there is a new development that may get Gamecube Controllers working in Wii Games (https://gbatemp.net/threads/need-help-with-vwii-gc-adapter-for-project-m.498236/#post-7868145). Unfortunately, my SSBB disc is at my parents home, guess I'll have to wait a week!

EDIT: I don't see GPF mentioned anywhere in the source.

Last edited by JacobM, Mar 9, 2018
  8. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Pretty sure GPF is a relatively unheard of patching technique as per https://gist.github.com/wilm0x42/2382af4e200a6bb076c91c56813aba54

Maybe @Cyan could give us some insight on how we could go about directly patching an iso with such a patch, or if usb loader would be able to support shuch a file type?

I attached the patch file directly. It's for use with super smash bros to apply gamecube adapter on vwii.

Attached Files:

Last edited by cruplezone, Mar 9, 2018
  9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    it seems quite simple, it's only a memory patching before launching the game.
    It's not a file insertion in the ISO, and it's a simple "copy of data at specific address". but I will have to test to see if it's that easy; I always get unexpected problem when adding a feature :P

It looks a lot like the gameconfig.txt file format, except it's in binary and only writes a full block of memory. (no conditional events)
    You could even convert it to gameconfig format easily.

example :
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    writing a converter should be very easy.

Oh, and, I just made a Structure file for Hex workshop based on this file format :)
    (max individual patch size set to 4k, can be changed in the file)

keyword for seach engine : hex workshop hsl structure

Attached Files:

Last edited by Cyan, Mar 10, 2018
    JacobM and lordelan like this.
  10. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    A converter would be greatly appreciated :) Here is some work done by another member if it'll at all help you out. https://gbatemp.net/threads/need-help-with-vwii-gc-adapter-for-project-m.498236/page-2#post-7868960

11. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    try this file

I converted (manually, with regexp :/) the gcp file to this format.
    I hope I didn't mess up anything in the process :P

put the file in root, or in /codes/ folder, and enable hooktype (no need to enable ocarina, just hooktype to default vbi)

edit: oh it's still windows line feed, maybe it will need a conversion to linux (crlf -> lf)
    it's still not clean, but let me know if attached gameconfig.txt work.

edit: I wrote a partial javascript converter ! (only one patch at a time, not a full gpt converter)
    select binary in hex program, copy as C/C++, paste the hex value in "rawData" array, set the starting address value, and run the html to convert it to gameconfig.txt format.

*note to myself : I should really learn python*

edit: don't worry, it's just a test so I know it works. If it works, I'll add the gpf file loading directly in USBGX.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Cyan, Mar 11, 2018
    lordelan and Magnus87 like this.
  12. RodrigoHC13

RodrigoHC13 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2017
    Brazil
    Hello, Badablek! Do you know if there is a way to add the option to activate the Nintendont's "WiiMote CC Rumble" option? The Nintendont can activate this function, but when I load the GC games through this tabmod, Nintendont can't activate the "WiiMote CC Rumble" function.

Thank you!

13. Badablek

Badablek GBAtemp Regular

Jan 23, 2006
    France
    Hi @RodrigoHC13 this tabmod only tweaks USBLoader GX interface. So everything that the loader can do, the tabmod (from the same revision) can also do.

Are you sure that this was already possible in USBLoader GX r1266 ? I did not follow USBLoader GX in its latest revisions (because I didn't updated devkitpro/libogc to be able to compile revisions > 1266), but I think this is a new parameter in Nintendont that needs an update.

ps : I will try to update the libraries next week, to see if I can compile latest revision with tabmod.
    (But if it's only in the beta builds that Cyan kindly gives, you will have o wait until it's officially committed in USBLoader GX sources ;))

EDIT : CC Rumble option is supposed to be in USBLoader GX since rev1265. I don't know how and why it shouldn't work in tabmod 1266...
    https://sourceforge.net/p/usbloadergx/code/1265/

BTW I have updated my libraries. You can try build 1268 if you want.
    svn versioning seems broken..."Changed Rev 0 to 155007" ??? Holy cow ! << Neveremind, I didn't downloaded the sources with TortoiseSVN, so the script wasn't able to read the correct version :)

EDIT 2 : check the new version, CC rumble now works :
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1257#post-7871095

Last edited by Badablek, Mar 11, 2018
    RodrigoHC13 likes this.
  14. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Python is evil. ;) You should check out .Net Core. It's available for Windows, Linux and OS X and C# is a lot more typesafe and easy to follow.

15. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    For anyone looking for further discussion on this topic, please refer to this thread as it is taking a bit to figure out: https://gbatemp.net/threads/need-help-with-vwii-gc-adapter-for-project-m.498236/page-4

Also, jussayin' this would be a good time to start exploring gc adapter support for vwii usbloader with vwii games being close to supporting them ;)

16. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    I don't see the point in adding this. You still need a Wii remote to use the vWii system menu and it would only add extra unnecessary code to the loader. What it seems like you're looking for is an alternate loader for Wii games on the Wii U.

17. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    HID2Vpad already provides HID use on the WiiU menu, and WiiUPluginSystem with coldboot hax will provide ability to have it for use on boot. There are forwarders that directly boot to UsbLoader from the WiiUMenu, so I don't see why there would be need for a wiimote anywhere else except in USBLoader?

18. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    As I said, it seems like what you're looking for is a new loader that doesn't exist. IMO you're putting an awful lot of pressure on Cyan to implement things that most people that use ULGX won't need.

19. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Ok, I did not mean to do that. I will not mention it again. I thought it would be neat that is all.

Edit: Just as a note, here is some evidence that people like using the adapter for wii games on wiiu. I think the community would benefit from such a feature.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/82v0pe/smash_bros_brawl_can_now_support_the_gamecube/

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/83g8hq/how_do_i_enable_sd_file_patching_with_usb_loaders/

https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiUHacks/comments/82toin/gamecube_controller_adapter_for_super_smash_bros/

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/82uzrb/smash_bros_brawl_can_now_support_the_gamecube/

https://goo.gl/m9iX1V

Last edited by cruplezone, Mar 11, 2018
  20. RodrigoHC13

RodrigoHC13 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2017
    Brazil
    Hi, @Badablek ! Thank you for the answer!!

I was using the USBLoader GX r1266 tabmod and there isn't an option to activate CC Rumble for Nintendont in it.

The option is available in the r1268 and in this new r1268 tabmod that you've included, but even if I activate the CC Rumble in these versions, the rumble won't work.

But when I open the Nintendont (latest version) directly through HBC, the CC Rumble works!

What can I do?

Thank you again!!