• Likes 48

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
oh, too bad. I hoped it was that issue (because it was simple to fix :P), the symptoms were matching.

sorry I don't have any idea for the moment why it's random.
I might think about it again and come to you if I have an idea.
But the fact it loads neek2o NK2O directly is strange.

Try to disable the "return to" option, set it to off to disable it and stays on neek2o even after a failed autoboot attempt, that way you can launch the game manually from the system menu (or channel hidden menu if you are on vWii as it has a bug and doesn't list channels)
It's not a fix, but at least it prevent a reboot cycle. see if neek can boot game from the first cycle or not. (no reason why not, but you never know before testing)

I guess a debugger would be useful in this situation, looking at the path generated by the loader, the generated neek2o config file, sent argument, etc.

Last edited by Cyan,

Shiranui-san

Trophies
XP
Country
Try to disable the "return to" option, set it to off to disable it and stays on neek2o even after a failed autoboot attempt, that way you can launch the game manually from the system menu (or channel hidden menu if you are on vWii as it has a bug and doesn't list channels)
It's not a fix, but at least it prevent a reboot cycle. see if neek can boot game from the first cycle or not. (no reason why not, but you never know before testing)
Tried this, but again sometimes NK2O reloads the Wii. I'll try later with a new emuNAND and installing titles again.

* I just realised that maybe I always end up in the HBC not because "Return to" option but because I configured bootmii to take me directly to HBC when the Wii is on.

I guess a debugger would be useful in this situation, looking at the path generated by the loader, the generated neek2o config file, sent argument, etc.
Anything I could do about this or is something you have to code into the loader?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's something to be coded in the loader.
The debug code is there but for hardware debugger (USBGecko).
To make it available for software debug you'll have to recompile with the "log to file" flag.

if you want to try, you can set that flag in sources/gecko.c, uncomment line 8
#define DEBUG_TO_FILE

all the "gprintf" functions will be logged to file instead of USBGecko.

But it's not enough, as it's just logging to file what USBGecko usually logs to hardware.
It works only if SD card is mounted too, so there might be some "last function" done after unmounting everything and right before launching the games that will not be logged to file.

Maybe you'll also have to force some debug info (sometime I just comment the debug lines when I don't need them in the released version).

You can find them in :
sources/usbloader/neek.cpp
and in
sources/usbloader/gamebooter.cpp

I think you need to add in neek.cpp :
#define DEBUG 1
near the top, so few debug info are added too.

you'll see in the file there are some "if define DEBUG" then execute this code.
if you don't define DEBUG, then this part is skipped when compiling.

Last edited by Cyan,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I added the ability to turn on debug logging to my fork last week. You need the /HBC/boot.dol from the preview branch. It is turned on/off with an arg setting in meta.xml.

I haven't added any more tracing yet, though, so it might not pick up the issue you're specifically looking for yet.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I added the ability to turn on debug logging to my fork last week. You need the /HBC/boot.dol from the preview branch. It is turned on/off with an arg setting in meta.xml.

I haven't added any more tracing yet, though, so it might not pick up the issue you're specifically looking for yet.
That's a thing I wanted to add in meta.xml argument for some time now.
But it means the code is always present, while preprocessing is skipping it if disabled.
I thought my dol size issue would be a problem if I add too many debug text. (I still don't know why my dols were crashing after too many text, maybe the .text section in linker is too small?)

I specifically wanted to add that argument for drive detection and mounting log.
displaying sector0 dump, or actually dumping mbr/gpt/partition table etc.
But the log must be stored in memory buffer until SD card is mounted, or users would miss early events.

maybe the log code could be rewritten (I think JoostinOnline wrote a new log to file function)

Last edited by Cyan,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The NO_DEBUG macro removes the gprintf functions. The DEBUG_TO_FILE and WIFI_GECKO defines only act as switches so I replaced them with variables. The debug is always there under the current release configuration since NO_DEBUG isn't used in the makefile and gprintf has a body. (The official branch doesn't even compile with NO_DEBUG defined. :))

Shiranui-san

Trophies
XP
Country
@Cyan @GreyWolf

Some feedback here:
Using ShowMiiWads, I just extracted my nand.bin backup and set a new emuNAND up again. Everything seems to be running good now. I launched each game around five times in a row and they always worked as expected, no more NK2O directly reloading the console.

@GreyWolf
I tried the .dol and .xml files you linked before with my previous emuNAND, but there is no log file in my SD. I edited the .xml like this, not sure if arguments are correctly enabled:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <app version="1">
        <name> USB Loader GX</name>
        <coder>USB Loader GX Team</coder>
        <version>3.0.1272 (slow)</version>
        <release_date>20170401235846</release_date>

<arguments>
                <arg>--debuglog</arg>
        </arguments>

<ahb_access/>

D

Deleted User

Stupid question here: Can I delete the rom files after I install them to an external HD? If yes, I'll just install those that occupy the same space both in rar format and wbfs.

NimbusSSBM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cyan Hey so I got USB Loader GX to work a single time. When I went to put more back ups on my HDD, it stopped working and I get a black screen when loading. Do you know why this may be?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Cyan Hey so I got USB Loader GX to work a single time. When I went to put more back ups on my HDD, it stopped working and I get a black screen when loading. Do you know why this may be?

I had a similar problem when updating to the latest public version. I installed one of grey wolf's releases and it started working again, I'm currently running R1269 from https://github.com/GreyWolfSC/streamline/releases

It's worth a try at least.

Stupid question here: Can I delete the rom files after I install them to an external HD? If yes, I'll just install those that occupy the same space both in rar format and wbfs.

I don't think you know what rom files are, usbloader gx doesn't deal with roms as gamecube and wii don't use them. If you are talking about iso files, then your usb drive only needs 1 copy of the iso or a wbfs that has been created from an iso (wii iso's are always multiples of 4gb, converting it to a wbfs removes the areas that are not used by the game). You don't need to keep any files anywhere else, although you may want to in case your usb hard drive dies.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: NimbusSSBM

NimbusSSBM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a similar problem when updating to the latest public version. I installed one of grey wolf's releases and it started working again, I'm currently running R1269 from https://github.com/GreyWolfSC/streamline/releases

I don't think you know what rom files are, usbloader gx doesn't deal with roms as gamecube and wii don't use them. If you are talking about iso files, then your usb drive only needs 1 copy of the iso or a wbfs that has been created from an iso (wii iso's are always multiples of 4gb, converting it to a wbfs removes the areas that are not used by the game). You don't need to keep any files anywhere else, although you may want to in case your usb hard drive dies.
Will try this out ASAP. Thanks so much for the reply!

D

Deleted User

Well, isn't a rom file just a name for a backup of a game?
If I can keep only one copy, I'll do what I said, since some games are the same size both extracted or not from a rar/7zip.
What I was wondering is, if I install to the wbfs folder, can I just move wbfs files in and out the folder? Or do I need to install them again if I move them out?

NimbusSSBM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Still no dice :(

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Well, isn't a rom file just a name for a backup of a game?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM_image

How did you install the game apart from extracting it from the rar/zip? Did you have to go through an installer that changes the wbfs content? If not, what is making it so different from the original rar/zip? Have you read and understand how to "install" a game for use with usbloaders?

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I would like some help getting a flash drive of mine to work with USB Loader GX. It's a 64 GB Lexar USB 3.0 flash drive, formatted out of the box to FAT 32. When I first plugged in to my Wii after cppying over the files from my original setup (an 8gb sd with a reader), it worked fine. Seeing this, I ran to my computer, stored some of the Gamecube games I play in Dolphin on it, and plugged it in again, only for it to get stuck on "initializing USB device." I haven't been able to get anything out of it since, so if anyone can help that would be great.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about how Wii homebrew or CFW works. When installing homebrew, I simply followed this guide: https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/before-you-begin. I used letterbomb to get BootMii running, then continued on to install "cIOS" and USB Loader GX.

From what I gathered from other threads, I ran something called sysCheck and this is the resulting file.
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)

Drive date: 02.13.2007
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 51299871
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: Argentina (10)
Boot2 v4
Found 65 titles.
Found 46 IOS on this console. 14 of them are stubs.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6944): No Patches
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 04/11/2017.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
d2x beta 53 is not recommended. If it still doesn't work after swapping 249 out with beta52 then it could just be the flash drive isn't compatible.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
d2x beta 53 is not recommended. If it still doesn't work after swapping 249 out with beta52 then it could just be the flash drive isn't compatible.
Thanks for the reply, but I just fixed the drive by removing the gamecube games I added into the flash drive. I then added them back and it kept working. I don't know why it worked it like that, but at least it works now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson