Hacking USB Loader GX reboots but only on some titles

x4N70pHyLL

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello everyone,

I've been using the USB Loader GX for quite some time now and are experiencing the following problem:

On loading titles I have newly copied to the HDD there is no "jingle" of the game playing and if you press "start game" there is a black screen resulting in returning either to the HBC or restarting the Wii (depending where you started).

Some additional information:

I have some games ripped directly in the USB loader, and some I converted from a ripped .iso to a .wbfs on my mac using either WITGUI or Wii Backup Fusion.

Recently, I tried some new games and none of these worked.

What I already did (some things trying to fix the problem, some things because of other reasons)

- updated the Wii System
- tried it with dx2v8 and now dx2v10alt (both on 249/250 respectively)
- changed HDD drive and format (was NTFS is now FAT32)
- converted the .iso on a Windows System to .wbfs instead of using WITGUI on OS X
- updated the USB Loader GX
- EDIT: I also tried USB Loader cfg, there is a different picture: New games are not displayes (these are the ones USB Loader GX detects but is not able to play/reboots)

Please note: All previously installed games are working fine. I have the issue only with "new" titles (although some are from year 2009 or so)

Any ideas on this issue?

Thanks

x4N70

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
CFG Loader has the same issue than USBLoaderGX ?
so we can exclude the loader's fault.

It's either game, setup or HDD issue.
Returning to HBC or system menu is usually a symptom of wrong/badly installed cIOS, or that the console can't find the game's file (because of wrong IOS or HDD couldn't be mounted).

Verify that your games are not write protected!
This is a known cause for games not working.

x4N70pHyLL

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
CFG Loader has the same issue than USBLoaderGX ?
so we can exclude the loader's fault.

It's either game, setup or HDD issue.
Returning to HBC or system menu is usually a symptom of wrong/badly installed cIOS, or that the console can't find the game's file (because of wrong IOS or HDD couldn't be mounted).

Verify that your games are not write protected!
This is a known cause for games not working.

The two loaders act differently: GX shows all the games, but no "jingle screen", only black, and the wii reboots after starting the game. CFG loader doesn't even show the games which are not working with GX, but the "old" ones, they are also fine and show up.

Regarding write protected you mean the file properties? I double-checked it, the "protected" flag is not set.

And wrong or bad cIOS: It did not work with the old cIOS (don't know which they were exactly) and also not with the new installed dx2v8 and also not with dx2v10. Everywhere the same problem, that the old ones are working well, newly converted ones are not showing up (CFG loader) or cause a reboot (GX).

Tried different containers (wbfs and ciso), checked and/or unchecked the "only transfer game and channels" flag in WIT...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's very strange.
you said it happens with two different drives too?

it's not the drives (unless they have the same issue? same manufacturer/model?)
it's not the loaders
it's not the settings/cIOS
I see only the game ISO files then.

the "jingle" is extracted from the banner located in the ISO or wbfs file. If the jingle (audio) doesn't work it means the ISO couldn't be mounted by the loader, so it's not mounted by the cIOS either.
Maybe CFG Loader is trying to load or access a specific place in the ISO to list games, while USBLoaderGX is listing games based on found folders (not Files! it doesn't try to access the file at loader's launch).

Maybe your files are really not readable.
maybe an issue with cluster size? or sector size? (should be compatible with drives from 512 to 4096 bytes (there are in-between sizes but it's rare I think))

Try another drive again (for example an SD card inserted in a SDToUSB adapter) to be sure the issue is not your games.

x4N70pHyLL

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes I tried two different HDDs, Seagate 160GB and Hitachi 200GB.

I think you are right with the assumption that CFG lists only correct images and GX shows all images that are on the drive.

The jingle is a good point to start I think, should be the ISOs or something with them then. Drive should not be possible, even the cIOS should be okay of the games I ripped some month/years ago are working, right?

I have different ISOs here from different games. I just convert it to .wbfs with WIT, is that correct? Do I have to keep something in mind? As i said, I tried with the checkbox "only game data and channels" and without it. And afterwards, I just copy it to the FAT32 (or before the NTFS) drive. Not working. Both times I copied old .wbfs images, working.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you dumped the games using the WBFS partition format, then a lot of games could be corrupted now.
That format (or more correct the program and library used to copy the games) are corrupting existing games when adding new one.
if you converted WBFS to FAT32, that's probably your issue.

If you always used wbfs files, then I don't think ISO became corrupted, unless your HDD has an issue (hardware issue, dying sectors, etc.)

To install games, I'm using WiiBackupManager instead of Wit.
if you have access to a windows OS, you could try that application too, and see if it creates different files than Wit.

Wit should have a command to check ISO validity (Sha-1 check), you could try it to verify your ISO.

x4N70pHyLL

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No, I did not convert a partition or something. New HDD, formatted as FAT32.

I have checked both the original ISO file and the .wbfs file with WIT and it says "everything seems to be fine". But then the Wii should be at least able to mount it and therefore displaying it in CFG loader and play the jingle in GX loader...

Okay, did this: Used WiiBackupManager under Windows, works. Tried again WIT afterwards, jingle plays but no game.

I assumed it could not be WIT because I tried a converter under Windows before. I think it was called ISO2WBFS or so. Was the same. Do you know if this one is base in WIT maybe.

Nevertheless, strange that WIT seems not to be working.

Any ideas on that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night