Hacking USB Loader GX Flickering/Black Screen only w/ Component output

Slug03

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have two output methods I use for my Wii. I bought a Wii2HMDI converter to use on a trip where the TVs didn't have composite/component input. It works, but it is not ideal (picture quality is degraded, slightly more input lag, etc.). What is interesting is that when I boot WBFS games from my FAT32 formatted external drive (I have tried a 16 GB USB on and a 256 GB external USB hard drive) using USB Loader GX using HDMI, I have no issues whatsoever. The game runs like normal.

However, when I use component at my home to avoid the downsides of HDMI mentioned above, when I boot games using USB Loader GX I can encounter a wide range of issues, always pertaining to video output. Sometimes, the games (I have tested several) work perfectly for 10-30 minutes before I start noticing some "shaking" on the edges of the screen. It continues to get worse until the video output becomes frozen/unplayable. Other times, the video output will immediately begin flickering and shaking, and all other times it will immediately go to a black screen upon loading. Interestingly, all of these errors only affect the video. I can still hear the game sounds fine and I can still theoretically control the game (i.e. Controller input still functions) with black/frozen screens. I can run games from disk perfectly fine with my component out, it is only USB Loader GX that has issues.

I figured it might be a game region issue (i.e. USB Loader GX trying to run games on PAL), so I changed the global settings to force NTSC even though I ensured I downloaded the North American versions of the WBFS games I am attempting to run. This did not resolve the issue. Is it possible that it is a cIOS issue? I followed the latest instructions on the Wii Guide website for installing cIOS to a tee.

If it is not a software issue, is it possible that the component cables or my TV itself is the problem? I do not have another TV with component input with which to test it, and I do not have the original Nintendo composite cables. The component cables I bought was a cheap, Chinese-made model. They can be found on ebay with the name "Brand New Component Video Cable for Nintendo Wii or Wii U Systems". (Sorry, I do not have link-posting capability at the moment.)

Thanks in advance! I am new here, so if I left any necessary information out, please let me know what else you need to know.

Here is my SysCheck:

SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 02.13.2007
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 106850366
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 80 titles.
Found 47 IOS on this console. 14 of them are stubs.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6944): No Patches
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS249[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 06/15/2022.

Last edited by Slug03,

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Slug03 you should redo cIOS 251 with base 38 as it shows here, or you can just drag and drop the syscheck onto ModMii it will tell you what to do.
You should use this version of usbloadergx by @blackb0x btw.
It could be the component cables, i'd recommend getting the official Nintendo component cables instead..

Slug03

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@CoolMe

* Reinstalled cIOS 249-251 as shown on the website you linked (turns out I did not follow that guide, apparently. All fixed now.)
* Updated my version of usbloadergx to the version you recommended.

Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem. I find it odd that simple component cables could be the issue. I may just have to shell out the $25 to get a used official Nintendo one. Unfortunate. It will be even more sad if that doesn't fix the issue. Is there anything else that might be the problem before I shell out $25 for a solution that may or may not work?

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it odd that simple component cables could be the issue. I may just have to shell out the $25 to get a used official Nintendo one. Unfortunate. It will be even more sad if that doesn't fix the issue.
Cheaply made ones can produce all sorts of glitches, noise etc. on the screen..
Btw, you do have the resolution set as 480p on the system settings?
Is there anything else that might be the problem before I shell out $25 for a solution that may or may not work?
It doesn't look like your usb flash drive is the issue, if it works fine with the WiiHDMI adapter.
It's either the component cable or the component port on the tv. Most likely the former. You could try inspecting both the component cables and the component port on the tv for any cuts, trapped dust etc. and clean it out. it's not a fix but it's worth a try.

Btw, i'm only giving you suggestions, on where to look and what's causing the problem.. i'm not responsible for any choices you make (like buying the official component cables)..

Slug03

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@CoolMe
Cheaply made ones can produce all sorts of glitches, noise etc. on the screen..
Btw, you do have the resolution set as 480p on the system settings?
Yes, the resolution is set at 480p. And that makes sense with regards to the component cable. My gut is just telling me it is a software issue because I'm starting to pick up on other subtle behaviors in regards to how (or if) USB Loader GX fails. I can go into more detail if you would like, but it would be pretty hard to explain without uploading videos. That said, it is still very possible that it is a component cable failure.
It doesn't look like your usb flash drive is the issue, if it works fine with the WiiHDMI adapter.
Agreed
It's either the component cable or the component port on the tv. Most likely the former. You could try inspecting both the component cables and the component port on the tv for any cuts, trapped dust etc. and clean it out. it's not a fix but it's worth a try.
It just so happens that I am heading to my parents' home tonight. I think I will take my Wii and test it out there with the same equipment I have at home. That would rule out the TV/TV component ports as the issue. I also decided to buy an OEM composite output to test it with. I got that for much cheaper than $25 (It was like, $5 or something like that). Hopefully I can use that to test out the cable. I'll update you once I test these two fixes out.
Btw, i'm only giving you suggestions, on where to look and what's causing the problem.. i'm not responsible for any choices you make (like buying the official component cables)..
Of course! Trust me, I really appreciate the help! I tried looking around at other forum posts about USB Loader GX black screen issues, but there was just nothing that seemed to match with my exact issue. (There seem to be a million different problems that can occur with the software.) I'll send out an update after testing the two things I mentioned above.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My gut is just telling me it is a software issue because I'm starting to pick up on other subtle behaviors in regards to how (or if) USB Loader GX fails.
You can try with another game loader like Wiiflow Lite if you want. That version of Usbloadergx i told you to use is pretty solid. But you can try with different loaders..
I can go into more detail if you would like, but it would be pretty hard to explain without uploading videos.
Do these software issues appear when you're using the Wii2HDMI adapter too? If not, then it isn't a software issue.

Reactions: Slug03

Slug03

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can try with another game loader like Wiiflow Lite if you want. That version of Usbloadergx i told you to use is pretty solid. But you can try with different loaders..

Do these software issues appear when you're using the Wii2HDMI adapter too? If not, then it isn't a software issue.
You were correct! Not a software issue. I tried it out at my parents' home, and it works flawlessly. This implies that it is either my personal TV's component inputs that are messed up, my TV settings, or my TV in general. Probably needed a new TV anyway, so this is a good excuse to go hunting.

Thanks for all of your help!

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You were correct! Not a software issue. I tried it out at my parents' home, and it works flawlessly. This implies that it is either my personal TV's component inputs that are messed up, my TV settings, or my TV in general. Probably needed a new TV anyway, so this is a good excuse to go hunting.

Thanks for all of your help!
Glad that you've found the culprit. Finding TVs these days with component inputs could be a challenge, no new tvs come with them so those're out of the equation. You need to aim for the second hand market any model made prior to 2012~13 or so, make sure to check that tv has them before buying...
Or it could be just the component inputs are a bit dusty on your tv.. clean them up with compressed air, IPA, Q-tip etc. open the tv if you have to. And if you have soldering experience, you can just buy replacement inputs and replace them..
Either way.. Good luck!:)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr