Hacking Usb Loader GX and Clean Rip controller layout question

Becko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
OK, I'm a bit confused here with these two apps, Usb Loader GX and and Clean Rip

1. If I understand it correctly Clean Rip is to backup or copy your Wii games onto a USB Drive and USB Loader GX is to actually play those dumped games ? so both are necessary to back up and play the games ?

2. Will dumping the game with Clean Rip and playing it with USB loader add more control layouts ? for example if a wii game such as Xenoblade which only supports wii pro controller and motion controller but NO gamecube controller do USB loader or Clean Rip have any settings/options to add the Gamecube controller layout ?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1)
CleanRIP is used to rip a game "cleanly". which means a full, identical copy of the disc, copied sector by sector. You get a full 4.7GB ISO file.

USBLoaderGX is a game loader, it can load ISO, but it's not the common file format for Wii backup games.
USBLoaderGX can dump/rip a game too, but not "cleanly", instead of dumps it in the proper format used by the Game loader itself ! (.wbfs file format).
wbfs is not 4.7GB, but instead only takes the size of the game. For example, Super Mario Wii is 400MB.

so, you can dump with CleanRIP, but if what you want is not to get a proper backup on your computer for storage and collection purpose, but instead just want to play the game, then just use the loader to copy the game's data to your USB.

There are programs to convert .iso to .wbfs on computers, but if you have the disc why waste time and partition space when you can dump directly to proper smallest format?

2)
Dumping a game ... is making a copy. an exact copy of the game's data.
it does not modify or add any features, or change how it plays etc.

Playing a game it, on the contrary, able to modify the game "in real time", in memory, by using cheatcodes feature.
it's not the "copy" which adds features or change the controls, but the loader which patches the ISO or wbfs file temporarily directly on the console's memory while playing (the file is never changed).

Don't expect all games to get gamecube controller for wii games!! this is not possible.
it can be done ... on a game by game basis, by good developers and for a specific reason (only 2 games over 1000+ existing games have different control). There's no automatic patcher to add new controller support.

Last edited by Cyan,

Becko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I see, so both apps do the same, except that Clean Rip is to have an identical copy whereas Loader GX is to have a small size copy to quick access the game on your usb drive , therefore Clean Rip is more for backup computer copies and Loader GX just to play it

About Xenoblade GC controller compability I guess is just not possible

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, not possible. it requires a rewrite of some game parts.
If I remember, the games which had a mod/patch to use another controller was Kirby (sure, add classic controller) and donkey kong (not sure).

There was a generic patcher created once, and worked on old games only, but the link is dead, and the forum where the dev posted it died. I don't know if someone kept it as backup, so this patch is not possible right now.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning