Usb HDD for switch Dock

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by freevil, Feb 8, 2018.

1. guily6669

guily6669 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2013
    In the future Nintendo might activate some kind of external storage like Sony and M$ did or when it gets hacked someone might add that feature.

Though I have no clue if the hardware it self support outputting of the gaming data files...

Ps: but anyway I'm more interested in having a USB Cable to USB female on portable mod to be able to connect a external 2.5 HDD via USB...

I don't care for dockstation to TV... When they hack the switch I want is latest triple A games on the run, because even my PS4 Pro sometimes feel like it's a crap...

I'm currently playing assassin's creed origins backup on my PC connected to the TV and is so much better than the PS4 :).

I'm using Xone controller with wireless dongle and a app that I can control windows with the controller and even comes with a keyboard.

Last edited by guily6669, Feb 10, 2018
  2. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Nobody got this information, somebody stated it. Let me explain what happened for you...

@Zyvyn said "the Switch can't receive data from the dock'

@yardie replied "[that being the case then] why does the dock have USB ports"

You then replied talking about ethernet and controllers, both of which require data.

Kubas_inko likes this.
  3. osaeed09

osaeed09 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2008
    United States
    USB 3.0 can handle up to 5gbps (640MBps)
    Using a usb 3.0 to ethernet adapter gives you advantage of faster ethernet speeds as compare to USB 2.0.

I see as an option which Nintendo can use that port for camera tracking accessory, flash drive/hdd storage and USB 3.0 provides charging at a rate of 0.9amps to charge your controllers quicker than USB 2.0 (0.5amps).

4. Dungeonseeker

Dungeonseeker GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2016
    No, Zyvyn said the Switch can't receive data from the dock then in the response you said the USB ports on the dock could be used for ethernet. If you don't see how that's a contradiction then it's your problem.

USB C is bi directional and there is no technical reasons why data can't be sent from the dock to the switch, if it doesn't work it's only because of a software limitation, either Nintendo didn't code support into the OS or they deliberately blocked support for anything they didn't want to work.

Last edited by Dungeonseeker, Feb 10, 2018
  5. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Yarde asked, why does it have USB ports. I answered his question. Because they can be used for this or that. Once again, logical answer to his single question.

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Feb 10, 2018
  6. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    https://ibb.co/d3u3D7

Saw this at Wal-Mart. I though everyone said the dock will not do two way data

7. Pleng

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    When reading a question you need to understand *context*. He *clearly* quoted somebody claiming that the dock can't transmit data and asked "*so* why does it have USB ports". That *so* is so important here... It implies that it's not a generic question, but related to the quoted statement. Fully expanded, the question reads "Why does the dock have USB ports if it can't send data to the Switch". You need to understand this, it's a basic life skill. Without it you'll spend your whole life being misunderstood.

Not everybody... One person. Please, people, read the thread!!

TerryG likes this.
  8. Dominator211

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    i dont even know how a usb HDD would work when i is undocked

9. guily6669

Jun 3, 2013
    Same way you connect a HDD to a smartphone... OTG cable...

Micro usb to female USB cable and then you connect any USB external drive or USB flash drive or whatever...

And a 2.5 external HDD doesn't require external power it runs by the USB power it self...

Now we need is Nintendo to activate OTG or when it gets hacked someone doing it.

Ps: stupid is that some android smartphones don't bring OTG driver in it and need to be rooted to activate the OTG, it's so stupid, though all my android devices support it, but my friend 2016 smartphone with fingerprint reader doesn't support OTG lol

10. Dominator211

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    But I’m Oder for this to work you would first have to undock your switch... some how be able to safely unmount the drive then plug it in with a wire and spinning drive hanging off of it. Plus it would drain the battery faster and would require some sort of case to safely hold the drive

11. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Ethernet-to-USB3.0 would be faster than Ethernet-to-USB2.0

12. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Lol I thought that the dock has an ethernet port. Seems like I was wrong.

13. Pleng

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    I'm pretty sure that if Nintendo did implement hard disk support, it would be docked mode only, with a nice little utility for transferring games to and from the SD card.

I think they'd be very reluctant to do so, though, for fear of developers making games that are too large.

Dominator211 likes this.
  14. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Would still make you update though

15. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Essentially all USB ports transmit data bidirectionally. Most USB devices require this. The dock is basically just a USB Hub with video output from the Type-C port on the console from my understanding. I don't own a Switch but this is what I can gather from what I've seen.

Anyone who says the dock can't do bidirectional data transmission is wrong.

GerbilSoft and DayVeeBoi like this.
  16. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I think that you don't need to update if you format your SD to exFAT before putting it to switch. But I am not sure.

17. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You mean FAT32. ExFAT is what the update is for.

18. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Probably :D

19. guily6669

Jun 3, 2013
    You could use USB 3.0 USB flash drives or Ssd too...

I use my old USB 3.0 a lot of times to install things in my Nvidia Shield tablet...

20. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    Simple solution: They make it so you can move games to a from your switch/sd card/ hard drive.

If your hard drive isn't plugged in, any games on it straight up aren't usable.

Problem solved.

yardie likes this.