Usb HDD for switch Dock

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by freevil, Feb 8, 2018.

1. guily6669

guily6669 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2013
    Yep, same way as the Ps4...

2. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    You know what solves the sd card problem? A device that takes that converts a usb/sata hdd and converts it so the switch sees it as a sd card. basically you would be able to plug the converter into the micro sdcard slot and the sd card read write operations would be redirected to the hard drive. it would be similar to that hard drive to memory card slot device someone made on gamecube. it allowed games to be played off a hard drive connected to the memory card slot. Gamecube memory card interface was designed using sd card tech.
    There are plnuty of sd card to sata adapters. but not in reverse.

A sata hdd to sd card interface would be very handy for any device that reads sd cards. It would be similar to a floppy drive emulator that reads floppy drive images off a usb flash drive. Cept the entire hard drive would be allocated as a large sd card or as a bunch of smaller ones. So basically it would be a SD card hardware emulator.

Last edited by Captain_N, Feb 14, 2018
  3. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    What? @underlined.
    I don't ever remember seeing anything like that.

4. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    That can't exist. You'd need a modchip since the gamecube can't play games off memory cards, only savegames. And plus, i'm not sure if any modchip does that since most play games off SD since it's way easier.

5. StarGazerTom

Feb 2, 2015
    That's exactly it though, I only remember being able to play games either
    1) Broadband Adapter over network
    2) Burned Disc
    3) Sd Card.

He's saying though, that there was a hard drive plugin that went into a memory card port.
    Personally, I can't mind any pictures, videos or anything else about it.

SirNapkin1334 likes this.
  6. Duhasst0

Duhasst0 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    This does exist it's called IDE-EXI to HDD adapter, they exist but dma doesn't work, well that's the case the last time I looked it up. Check out gc-forever.com

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That actually exists (well it was SD to USB)
    Though it's more meant for flash drives. The only problem is it's incredibly slow and I think it has a rather small maximum size so it won't let you use all the space on the drive. Someone tried it (on Wii U I believe) in the past and it was too slow to be useful.
    SD to SATA might work better I guess. But all I can find when searching for that is devices to connect SD cards to SATA.
    GC memory cards are based on SD cards though which are not using the IDE standard like CF cards. I'm not sure how that memory card adapter worked.

8. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States

Here ya go. seems you can build one. I'm not sure if it was ever sold and i know Swiss on gamecube supports this adapter. I believe GCOS v1.5 supports it also. GC-Forever has the info i believe.

Last edited by Captain_N, Feb 15, 2018 at 2:21 AM
  9. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    I see that there are a lot of bad misconceptions about the Switch. Then again that seems to be the case with all Nintendo consoles.

1) Nintendo already stated last year that if they feel that HDD support is necessary, they will add it to a Firmware update. That pretty much explains the USB 3 port.

2) I spotted someone talking about how the Switch needs OTG support. The Switch already has it. Before I had a second set of Joycons, I would use my USB-C OTG cable to connect my wired Pro Controller for multiplayer. I still keep that OTG cable in my Switch travel bag.

3) Lets be frank, the Dock seems to be some sort of glorified USB port replicator. What can and cannot be used should be standard stuff. I'm curious about the USB-C port on the dock where the AC adapter is plugged into. If that port allows for both power and data that could open the dock up to more things. Considering that USB-C is supposed to be better than USB 2.0 and 3.0 if that USB-C port on the dock has data-ability, well, you guys can guess the possibilities.

4) Kinda off topic but do we have confirmation on 4K output for video playing? The Switch is using the same Tegra chip as a Shield TV and that device is known for supporting 4K video playback. If the Switch has that ability then Nintendo might just have an ace up there sleeve for future proofing. Remember, Nintendo is going for a nearly 10 year life span with this system.

10. StarGazerTom

Feb 2, 2015
    Well I'll be damned. There was a hard drive adapter for the Gamecube... through the frigging memory card port!

Well blow me over...

11. Duhasst0

Duhasst0 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Yeah, my favorite Nintendo console is the Game Cube, even tho the Switch is starting to get there. I built a portable out of one once, not easy, but lots of fun.

12. StarGazerTom

Feb 2, 2015
    Tried to make a portable myself twice. Didn't go so well either time.
    Still have the damn parts in the attic incase I ever need a motherboard or heatsink or something.