Hacking USB Harddrive with 2 Partitions

supagusti

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks a lot for this input - I think i'll try the FAT32 as first partition now.

EDIT:
Does anyone have experience in moving the wbfs partition to the end of the disk (with some tools like acronis or partition magic)?
Will it work, or will the wbfs partition be destroyed during the move process??

malacai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
maby im stupid.. but does FAT32 handle more than 32gb?`.. i have a WD PASSPORT 320gig.. one FAT32 @ 32gig and the rest att WBFS...
i could notformat fat32 at larger partition than 32gig...

supagusti

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
malacai said:
maby im stupid.. but does FAT32 handle more than 32gb?`.. i have a WD PASSPORT 320gig.. one FAT32 @ 32gig and the rest att WBFS...
i could notformat fat32 at larger partition than 32gig...

FAT32 can handle up to 2TB partitions with an file size of 4GB each.
M$ want to push their NTFS (NT-File System) and so they implemented an "virtual border" of 32GB in their partition manager (since XP)
With any other partiton manager (acronis, parition magic, and many freeware) this border doesn't exist.

supagusti

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Playgame38 said:
When I partitioned my HDD I used this guide.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=149861

sounds Ok on the first look - did this tut work for u ?
Did you resize the WBFS partition - or did you resize another partition to have free space for a creating a wbfs-partition

What I exactly want is to move the WBFS Partition from the beginning of my harddrive to the end.

These are the steps i thought about: (the [] should sybolize the disk and its partitions)

1. [WBFS|FAT32] .. thats what I have now
2. [WBFS|free ] .. delete FAT32 on the end of my Hdd
3. [free |WBFS] ...move WBFS partiton with special prog like parition magic
4. [FAT32|WBFS] ...create a new FAT32 on the beginning of my hdd (for homebrew)

Has anyone tried this yet?

diffikolt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you need to do is make your FAT 32 partition a primary partition, using chk disk, Acronis, or Partition Magic. If it's just a logical partition, most objects will not be able to read from it, such as the Wii, XBox360, etc. Where the partition is on the hard drive should not matter at all.

To check if it is a primary partition:

Go to the Start menu.
Right click on my computer.
Click on Manage.
Click Storage.
Click Disk Management.

Primary partitions will have a blue header.
smile.gif

supagusti

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
diffikolt said:
.... Where the partition is on the hard drive should not matter at all....

Thanks for your input, diffikolt - but where the partition is located matters, i've tested it.
Both partitions on disk are primary.
If the 1st one is WBFS, the 2nd FAT32 will not be recognized by any emu (FCE, SNES, SCUMM all@latest version)

So I simply deleted the 2nd FAT32 partition and moved the 1st WBFS to the end of the disk
then I added another primary partition on the start of the hdd and formated it FAT32
Now my 1st partition ist FAT32 and the 2nd ist WBFS. (OK lost data from the FAT32, but that's not important)
And both works!!!!
Now I can play tons of NES, SNES, GBA, GENS, SCUMM, C64, AMIGA on my Wii from the 1st partition of my harddrive and
hundreds of Wii games from the 2nd WBFS partition via USB-Loader.

Thanks 2 all for the comments

jimshabadoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
supagusti said:
diffikolt said:
.... Where the partition is on the hard drive should not matter at all....

Thanks for your input, diffikolt - but where the partition is located matters, i've tested it.
Both partitions on disk are primary.
If the 1st one is WBFS, the 2nd FAT32 will not be recognized by any emu (FCE, SNES, SCUMM all@latest version)

So I simply deleted the 2nd FAT32 partition and moved the 1st WBFS to the end of the disk
then I added another primary partition on the start of the hdd and formated it FAT32
Now my 1st partition ist FAT32 and the 2nd ist WBFS. (OK lost data from the FAT32, but that's not important)
And both works!!!!
Now I can play tons of NES, SNES, GBA, GENS, SCUMM, C64, AMIGA on my Wii from the 1st partition of my harddrive and
hundreds of Wii games from the 2nd WBFS partition via USB-Loader.

Thanks 2 all for the comments

I tried to do this. Now my 1st partition is FAT32 and my 2nd partition is WBFS. The USB Loader loads from the WBFS partition just fine, but Mplayer still won't read the 1st partition. Oh well, guess I'll live with Geexbox for a while...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7