Hacking USB Flash Drive 128 GB not working and neither is HDD

SomeWeirdSin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Format your drive to FAT32 with 32kb clusters, set it to Active, and Primary. Plug it into your Wii and launch your backup loader. Rip the game to your game directory. Plug your drive into your computer, and run WiiBackupManager. Select the game file you just ripped, then click transfer/WBFS. Game files in .wbfs format will work on an FAT32 format drive. On the root of your HDD the directory should go HDD:/wbfs/title_[ID]/game.wbfs. WiiBackupManager will take care of naming the folder for you. When you plug your HDD back into your Wii, make sure that your custom paths are set correctly.

It freezes to a black screen? I have never heard of that happening. What did you use to format your drive?

latin trident

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Format your drive to FAT32 with 32kb clusters, set it to Active, and Primary. Plug it into your Wii and launch your backup loader. Rip the game to your game directory. Plug your drive into your computer, and run WiiBackupManager. Select the game file you just ripped, then click transfer/WBFS. Game files in .wbfs format will work on an FAT32 format drive. On the root of your HDD the directory should go HDD:/wbfs/title_[ID]/game.wbfs. WiiBackupManager will take care of naming the folder for you. When you plug your HDD back into your Wii, make sure that your custom paths are set correctly.

It freezes to a black screen? I have never heard of that happening. What did you use to format your drive?

I used EaseUs. Where do I set it to Active and Primary? In Wii backup manager?

SomeWeirdSin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use EaseUs to set the drive to active and primary. Just right click the drive and select 'Set to Active'. Do the same to set the drive to Primary; just right click, and then 'Set to Primary'.

latin trident

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use EaseUs to set the drive to active and primary. Just right click the drive and select 'Set to Active'. Do the same to set the drive to Primary; just right click, and then 'Set to Primary'.

My PNY flash drive just freezes now. The sandisk one is still working fine on WBFS format

SomeWeirdSin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe there is a problem with the drive then. I have used two different PNY drives, and they even load gamecube games (most drives don't load gc backups). Soft-modding your wii is quite addictive, and I assume that one day you will want to buy a hard drive to store all your games. Before you purchase said drive, you should do some research on which ones work well with Wii and gamecube games. Here are some links to get you started:

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Dios_Mios_HDD_Compatibility_List
http://www.wiihacks.com/other-faq-guides-tutorials/103981-usb-hdd-compatibility-list-dios-mios.html

I use the Western Digital My Passport 1 TB WDBKXH0010BBK-NEBZ. I have it in FAT32 format, Active, Primary, and it loads both wii and gamecube games beautifully. I have over 500 games, and I haven't had a problem with any of them. I'm sorry I wasn't able to clear up the problem with your PNY drive, but at least you still have one working drive. Maybe use the PNY to load movies on WiiMC?

latin trident

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I had set aside an external hard drive that I was hoping I could use for burning games but it kept freezing. So this is what I'm going to do until I get a compatible hard drive.

A) Use my 8gb SanDisk in WBFS format (that works fine with the wii for whatever reason and hasn't failed)
B) Load up USB LOADER GX
C) Copy a physical game to the Flash Drive
D) Use WiiBackUpManager to connect my flash drive and my hard drive.
E) Transfer the game from the flash drive to the hard drive
F) Erase game on the flash drive
G) Repeat. It'll be a pain but I can get it done!

SomeWeirdSin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I had set aside an external hard drive that I was hoping I could use for burning games but it kept freezing. So this is what I'm going to do until I get a compatible hard drive.

A) Use my 8gb SanDisk in WBFS format (that works fine with the wii for whatever reason and hasn't failed)
B) Load up USB LOADER GX
C) Copy a physical game to the Flash Drive
D) Use WiiBackUpManager to connect my flash drive and my hard drive.
E) Transfer the game from the flash drive to the hard drive
F) Erase game on the flash drive
G) Repeat. It'll be a pain but I can get it done!

That's a great idea man! You're right, it will be a huge pain, but at least you will have all your games backed up and ready for a bigger HDD. You'll be thankful you did this later, I assure you. I've been doing this for years and have pretty much run across every problem imaginable so feel free to message me if you have anymore problems! I'll try to help in anyway I can! :grog:

Reactions: latin trident

latin trident

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a great idea man! You're right, it will be a huge pain, but at least you will have all your games backed up and ready for a bigger HDD. You'll be thankful you did this later, I assure you. I've been doing this for years and have pretty much run across every problem imaginable so feel free to message me if you have anymore problems! I'll try to help in anyway I can! :grog:

I'll definitely message you for help. I'm going to return that massive 128gb flash drive and see if I can find another hard drive that is compatible

Reactions: SomeWeirdSin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill