Hacking USB Flash Drive 128 GB not working and neither is HDD

latin trident

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newb to the site but I've been trying to find answers everywhere.

I followed the tutorial from this guy:

After I did that, I connected a USB Hard Drive formatted via WBFS 3.0 and went to USB Loader GX and then it would freeze and not go into the program. After unplugging it and replugging it multiple times, it worked once and then it stopped working again so I simply stopped using that.

I then got a Sandisk 8gb flash drive and formatted it via WBFS 3.0 and have successfully loaded USB Loader GX multiple times and installed Super Smash Bros Brawl on it with absolutely no problem and that functions perfectly fine.

I then decided to buy a PNY 128 GB Attache Flash drive (this exact model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178659). After formatting it via WBFS 3.0, I had to replug the flash drive multiple times before it finally worked in USB Loader GX. I successfully installed SMBB on it and tried it out. Worked great. Then I turned off the wii. 2 days later (today), I turned on the wii and loaded up USB Loader GX and all of a sudden, it doesn't work. I've replugged it multiple times with no success but when I plug in that 8GB Sandisk, it still works fine.

Can anybody tell me what I've done wrong or if I need to do anything different? Any input would be very much appreciated.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PNY drive has some pretty mediocre reviews, so I wouldn't put too much faith in it. Still, I'm pretty sure most loaders these days can use drives formatted to FAT32 or NTFS, and read files in either ISO or WBFS format (ISO files over 4GB would have to be split on a FAT32 drive). The HDD might require too much power, or it might just be incompatible with the Wii; there used to be some sort of compatibility list but I have no idea where to find it.

SomeWeirdSin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PNY flash drives have never given me any problems, but it could be a compatibility issue. Also, WBFS format is pretty unstable. I would suggest formatting it to FAT32, and converting your game files to .wbfs

SomeWeirdSin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PNY flash drives have never given me any problems, but it could be a compatibility issue. Also, WBFS format is pretty unstable. I would suggest formatting it to FAT32, and converting your game files to .wbfs

SomeWeirdSin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally use a program called 'WiiBackupManager' to convert the .iso files to .wbfs format. To format your drive, use Easeus partition manager. Both programs are free and easy to find online.

latin trident

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally use a program called 'WiiBackupManager' to convert the .iso files to .wbfs format. To format your drive, use Easeus partition manager. Both programs are free and easy to find online.

The thing is that I'm using actual discs that I own. I don't have anything stored on my pc. Does that change anything you suggested?

latin trident

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so, after reading my previous posts, i guess I should have clarified. I own the physical games. I can't get my computer to Rip the game from the DVD to my computer. Is there a way to do that?

SomeWeirdSin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you now have WiiBackupManager? Using this program will allow you to rip the games from the disc. You can also you usb-loader gx. When you launch usb-loader gx, you'll see a little '+' in the bottom left corner. Click that button, and it will rip your game to your game directory folder.

To be clear, WiiBackupManager is a program for your computer. If you use the usb-loader gx method, you can rip the game to your HDD and then access that file when you plug your HDD into your computer again.

latin trident

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you now have WiiBackupManager? Using this program will allow you to rip the games from the disc. You can also you usb-loader gx. When you launch usb-loader gx, you'll see a little '+' in the bottom left corner. Click that button, and it will rip your game to your game directory folder.

To be clear, WiiBackupManager is a program for your computer. If you use the usb-loader gx method, you can rip the game to your HDD and then access that file when you plug your HDD into your computer again.

I have WiiBackupManager on my computer. The option to transfer from DVD is greyed out. I have a Samsung DVD drive that can rip games but it won't let me rip.

latin trident

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what it shows

Attachments

• Progress.png
    Progress.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 290

SomeWeirdSin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is odd. I don't physically own any Wii games, but the option is open for me when I start the program. Not to worry! You can use a number of programs to rip the game to .iso form. Nero burning rom, isobuster, and magiciso are just a few that come to mind. CleanRip is another program that rips the disc directly on the wii. Try the usb-loader gx method. To recap, put the disc in the wii, load usb-loader gx, click the '+' button. This will put the .iso file in your wii game directory. Plug your HDD into your computer, and open WiiBackupManager. Under the 'files' tab on WiiBackupManager, select add/files. Find your .iso file on your HDD, click transfer/WBFS.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last I checked only a handful of drives were actually capable of reading GC/Wii discs, so it's unlikely your computer will be able to do it, and even if it could it'd take hours. Just format your drive, stick in in the Wii, and use your backup loader to rip discs.

Alternatively, if you already have the files on a WBFS-formatted drive, there's probably a program that can back them up from there onto your computer.

Reactions: SomeWeirdSin

SomeWeirdSin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I
Last I checked only a handful of drives were actually capable of reading GC/Wii discs, so it's unlikely your computer will be able to do it, and even if it could it'd take hours. Just format your drive, stick in in the Wii, and use your backup loader to rip discs.

Alternatively, if you already have the files on a WBFS-formatted drive, there's probably a program that can back them up from there onto your computer.

I wasn't aware that most drives don't read Wii game discs. WBFS manager can extract files from a wbfs drive in .iso form on your computer. Our hopes are to get his drive formatted to FAT32, and convert his game files to .wbfs format. FAT32 is a more stable format for your drive, and it's just more practical. FireEmblemGuy has a good point though; use your backup loader to rip the game.

latin trident

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. I'll upload pictures in a bit of what my wii looks like when I have it in NFTS format with the wii folder in it.

Now, after reformatting my USB flash drive to WBFS via wii backup manager, it is copying Super smash bros brawl. After it copies. I'll shut down my wii and turn it back on to see if the game loads. I'll keep you posted and will post the pics asap

latin trident

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait. so I shouldn't use WBFS format and use FAT32 instead? That might have been the problem. I'll stop the burn and try again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1